Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I must say that the Xbox One (as a video game console) so far has underwhelmed me in just about every possible way from its revealing the other day. Aside from a few brief trailers and graphical picture comparisons (of an Xbox One Call of Duty game to an Xbox 360 Call of Duty game) the games were completely skipped over. Microsoft rather spend the gamer's time showing us how your video game console should be used for everything that isn't about gaming because of how quick you can switch from watching TV, to streaming movies/shows, to using the internet to browse or skype. You then have the BS Q&As afterwards with all these employees giving ambiguous and even conflicting answers (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing) of the restrictions/requirements with internet connections and used game fees etc... its just one big nightmare of a headache. But hey, as long as Microsoft can produce and stream new/exclusive TV shows like "Halo: The TV Series" by Steven Spielberg through Xbox Live Gold Membership (similar to what Netflix is doing with the new season of Arrested Development) all is good right? Microsoft has dug themselves one serious ditch. They are going to have to bring their A game to E3 with concrete system info: cost, release date, step by step explanation of used game fee (concerning how the transfer of game rights will work, how it will effect borrowing/rentals, etc.), how the system works with cable/satellite services. Even then, I don't think that many gamers will be touting that Xbox One as a definite winner this generation. "Xbox Won" alright.

Sony has gone on record as saying that the PS4 will play used games and that they would never think of completely blocking used games. At face value this sounds reassuring, but upon closer inspection the statement does leave a lot of ambiguity for broad interpretation. Could mean used games will be treated as they always have been for all previous console generations. Then again it could mean a similar situation as the Xbox One (technically the used game isn't completely blocked, its only blocked till you pay an added fee). This patent taken out by Sony not to long ago would suggest the Xbox One scenario. Hopefully more clarification comes at E3 in about three weeks. Suddenly Wii U, even with all its faults, isn't looking so bad.
    I own the Wii u. It's a fine system. Lego city is an incredible experience. Nintendoland is a great party game. Zombie u is a worthy addition to true survival horror. The battery on the pad sucks. And the loud up of lego city levels is admittedly extremely long. Other than that the Wii u has lived up to what I want from a game system.

Now that the virtual console is cranking out the older games, the pads ability to allow you to play while others watch tv is very cool. the Emphasis is on the gaming experience.

I really don't get the novelty of the Xbox one. A smart tv does damn near everything that Microsoft is claiming only they had the vision to provide. By the time it launches, smart TVs would have been out for two years. I own a vizio 3d smart tv. So I already have the multimedia experience. The lockout of borrowed or used or secondhand games and their stance on independent gaming is just greed. I skipped the Xbox360 because I wasn't real impressed with the first Xbox. The red ring failure is all the evidence you need that Microsoft really couldn't give a fig about the consumer nor can they bothered with shoving whatever they want down our throats. I'll stick with Wii u. You guys can spend your money on the TiVo clone.

Some more fuel for the Xbox One fire. Microsoft took out a patent for DRM (Digital rights management) functions on the Xbox One's Kinect 2. Long story short, if Microsoft follows through (which several insiders suggest they already have) the Kinect will monitor the number of people that are watching the movie or game at one time. If that number exceeds the amount allowed on a game or film’s license, then the owner of the content must pay a fee for an extended license.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I guess its a good thing you don't have to buy the Kinect then...
    If you buy the Xbox One at all...
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I guess its a good thing you don't have to buy the Kinect then...
    Technically you do/are if you get the Xbox One. The new Kinect is included with the Xbox One (the console won't work without it). As if people weren't already upset/paranoid enough about the new Kinect's camera/microphone being "always on".
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

Some good news to finally report on the Xbox One. After the backlash that followed the system's reveal and later appearance at E3 Microsoft has come to their senses. The online requirement every 24 hours and the new used game restrictions are dead. After a one time only mandatory internet connection (for the initial setup) the system will not ever require an online connection. Rentals, borrowing and selling used games will work exactly like it does now for the Xbox 360 and all other prior video game systems. There are a few minor hindrances from this 180 turnaround (due to piracy prevention measures), but they aren't that big of an issue since its kind of already something we deal with for the Xbox 360. Games purchased on physical discs will still be saved/played directly on the console's hard drive, but now game discs will be required to be in the console while playing the game (to authenticate you own the game you are playing). Download bought games will not be trade-able/resell-able as they previously would of been under the old Xbox One business model. Also, the sharing option for your purchased games (physical disc or download) with up to 10 family/friend members via online is out.

Now people are complaining that the change of heart means no sharing digital games. Ha! Sucks to be Microsoft, cannot win with these folks. For me, the Kinect 2 always open still freaks me out, and paying to use online is a dealbreaker.

I just don't see the appeal of it over the PS4, which is a hundred bucks less and runs a similar CPU and RAM and doesn't require monstrous HD installs.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Now people are complaining that the change of heart means no sharing digital games. Ha! Sucks to be Microsoft, cannot win with these folks. For me, the Kinect 2 always open still freaks me out, and paying to use online is a dealbreaker.

I just don't see the appeal of it over the PS4, which is a hundred bucks less and runs a similar CPU and RAM and doesn't require monstrous HD installs.

I think its the games. I would rather play XBox exclusives that Playstations. I've had my PS3 for over a year and just this week bought my first game for it.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-