Cancelled Star Wars Video Games from Factor 5

Here is an interesting article on IGN. In an interview on IGN's podcast Nintendo Voice Chat, President Julian Eggebrecht of the now-defunct development studio Factor 5 revealed that, at multiple points, they were working on two different unreleased Star Wars games for multiple platforms.

The first game was to be an updated trilogy compilation of the three Rogue Squadron games (originally for the Nintendo 64/PC and Gamecube) with reworked cameras/controls/graphics & new stages. It was initially planned for the original Xbox and got to about 50% completion before being cancelled. The game was then later revived for the original Wii, making use of the Gamecube controller for standard play and the Wii Remote+ motion controls (and added accessories like the Wii Wheel and balance board) for piloting ships and lightsaber duels. The Wii version was 100% complete and ready for release but never saw a release due, in part, to a financial crisis at both Factor 5 and LucasArts at the time.

The second game was to be titled Star Wars Rogue Squadron: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. Initially intended for the Xbox 360, the game was intended to be an online massive multiplayer game with warring factions. Based on the premise put out in the interview it sounds like this game would kind of been like an online playable cross between the Rogue Squadron series games with the best elements of the X-Wing/TIE Figher series games thrown in and maybe a smidge of the PC game Star Wars: Rebellion (in that you could choose which faction you campaigned for). Its unclear how far along the game was before it was cancelled. Factor 5 later pitched the cancelled game to Sony for the Playstation 3. Sony however chose to pass on the Rogue Squadron game in favor of having Factor 5 create an original game instead. That video game ended up being Lair.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

That's a real bummer, it's been ages since a new Star Wars flight sim game was released (I suppose you could say the last one was Battlefront 2 which allowed players to fly a little bit) and I've been craving another one. I used to love the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games and had hoped that after LucasArts cranked out their Secret Weapons over Normandy game we were gonna see a Star Wars game along those lines, but alas, we're still waiting.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

As a follow up to this story, IGN has now received two in-game footage trailers from an anonymous source for the finished but cancelled Wii version of the Star Wars Rogue Squadron Trilogy game in action. The first trailer features overall game footage from the updated graphics of older stages, new stages featuring lightsaber dueling, Mii support, and showing off the various Wii controllers (remote, wheel) being used for the different types of stages. The second trailer focuses mostly on the 1:1 lightsaber dueling aspect using the Wii remote with motion plus.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection