Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Star Wars Rebels - Dave Filoni's new Star Wars animated series

It's been discussed elsewhere, but I wanted to start a thread for the new animated project since a few hints have been dropped lately.

A little over a week ago on May 6, Dave Filoni posted this sketch of TIE fighters hanging from cranes, with the caption, "Itís hard to believe that I have worked at Lucasfilm almost eight years, and this is the first time I have ever gotten to draw a TIE fighter." StarWars.com later used this other TIE drawing on its 404 pages, with Dave's Plo Kool seal of approval. Unlike the first image, it shows the wings at their proper sizes.

This short video was recently posted on Vine, showing Dave opening a vintage TIE Fighter in what looks to be a Lucasfilm office, saying it's for research. TheForce.net pointed out a number of possible Easter eggs in the video, including the fact that the desktop has a link to a Star Wars Blog post with Aurebesh writing over an X-wing targeting system. The post itself says, "In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame would be extinguished before it cast the light of new truth." This is adapted from the prologue of the original ANH novelization, presented as coming from the Journal of the Whills. The Aurebesh reads, "STRIKING FIRST SO YOU CAN'T STRIKE BACK." Oddly, the post is titled May 20, 2009, so I'm thinking it's a fake date to bury the post, meant only to be accessible thanks to the Vine video. The source code indicates that the image includes "2013/05" in its title, indicating that it's a new page as of sometime this month.

The rest of the TFN article is wild speculation that may or may not mean anything, but it also points out that Leland Chee Tweeted on May 5, "I have the first line of the opening crawl for The Empire Strikes Back stuck in my head." Of course, the first line is, "It is a dark time for the Rebellion."

Additional clues point to Gargoyles creator and Young Justice producer Greg Weisman being involved. Much like The Clone Wars, Young Justice was recently cancelled, so this is very possible.

Obviously these all lead one to believe that the new animated series would involve the Rebellion and the Empire, most likely taking place between ROTS and ANH - or maybe even between ANH and ESB, given the few ESB nods. I hope it's during the "dark times" for a number of reasons, from the fact that it's still woefully unexplored to the fact that the seemingly defunct live-action show was to be set in this period to the fact that it could just as easily pull characters from the PT or the OT even more than TCW did. Above all else, it's exciting that it might not be set too far after TCW, meaning that we would hopefully be able to follow up on characters from TCW - Ahsoka, Rex, Maul, Ventress, and Boba Fett would be very welcome, and it might have strong involvement from Saw Gerrera and Lux Bonteri. Characters like Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and Tarkin could easily play large roles here as well. And designer Kilian Plunkett appears with Dave and Pablo Hidalgo in the video, indicating that he's staying on board to help design the new series - so hopefully they also utilize some of the great writers and voice actors from TCW.

I assume more will be revealed at Celebration Europe II, if not sooner. It's nice to finally have some good news to speculate on for once!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I'd be a little surprised if this reveal is given up at Euro-Celebration, generally that's the sort of thing they save for US shores.

I'd very much like a series set between ANH and ESB, there's so much room for exciting times there. ROTS to ANH is ok, but there's a bit of prequel infection expected there, that "crossover" feeling that shouldn't really be left to anybody but Lucas himself (and even then, probably not).

You know, the next D23 Expo is this August, that'd be a fantastic surprise to reveal there instead of SDCC (although I vote SDCC since I'm going ).

There's no "Star Wars" in this thread's title, don't you think there ought to be?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I'd be a little surprised if this reveal is given up at Euro-Celebration, generally that's the sort of thing they save for US shores.
    SDCC is a week before CEII, but is Dave going to be there? He was one of the first guests announced for CEII, and he'll have to have something to talk about other than the Clone Wars bonus content. The fact that he and Kennedy are both going to be there leads me to believe they'll show off some goods in Germany. And it would be a cop-out to the fans to say, "Welp, we already showed everything last week! Too bad you weren't at Comic Con!" It would also be a show of good faith to the core SW fandom, since literally every big-ticket item they showed at CVI has been cancelled by this point. No matter what, I'm sure we'll have some information before the summer's over.

I'd very much like a series set between ANH and ESB, there's so much room for exciting times there. ROTS to ANH is ok, but there's a bit of prequel infection expected there, that "crossover" feeling that shouldn't really be left to anybody but Lucas himself (and even then, probably not).
    A show set between ANH and ESB would be cool for sure. I've just been interested in the between-trilogy period for quite a while, and after it seemed like Disney wanted to move completely away from the prequel storyline, this would be welcome news to me. And this would be a great way to occasionally tie up remaining TCW plot points where it makes sense - I would love, for instance, to check back up on Mandalore and see how things have changed under the Empire. They could also possibly reconfigure some of the lost scripts from TCW seasons six through eight.

Did you not like the crossover vibe from the final TCW season five arc? I thought it was handled very well there.

There's no "Star Wars" in this thread's title, don't you think there ought to be?
    I'll change it for now, but I was planning on changing it whenever we learned the title of the series anyway.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/rebels-star...140615438.html

If you can't wait until 2015 for J.J. Abrams' continuation of the "Star Wars" saga, the Disney Channel has something to hold you over: The new animated series "Star Wars Rebels" will debut late next year.

The series comes as Lucasfilm Animation is winding down the animated series "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which premiered in 2008. Simon Kinberg ("X-Men: First Class") will executive produce and write the premiere episode of "Rebels," which will premiere in fall 2014 on the Disney Channel and will be followed by a series on Disney XD channels around the world.

The new series, set in the two decades between "Star Wars" episodes three and four, finds the Empire hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a small band of rebels unites against it.

It will be produced by Lucasfilm and will feature many of the "Clone Wars" talents. Fans attending Star Wars Celebration Europe will be the first to get an exclusive look at the new series. Casting will be announced later.

"I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "I think 'Star Wars Rebels' will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

Kinberg is joined as an executive producer by Dave Filoni, who served as supervising director of the animated "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which debuted in 2008 and is winding down this year. Greg Weisman brings ("The Spectacular Spider-Man," "Gargoyles") is also executive producing.

There you have it. Star Wars: Rebels. Hopefully we get to see.some of the stories already penned in the EU brought to life.

I like that the series might rely on the McQuarrie designs. I would still like to see the fan-made anime-style Tie Fighter series. I can't seem to find the link to it, though.

Here is the official story on StarWars.com.

This is, to me anyway, the best news that has come out of the Disney purchase since Michael Arndt was announced. Finally they're going to explore the dark times! In the video, Dave mentions that it will be in CG, not traditional animation, so I hope it looks half as good as TCW did - I'm so glad that Joel Aron and Kilian Plunkett are confirmed as being on board. Presumably they'll be able to save on the budget by reusing the vast amount of ships and sets created for TCW. They're really putting a lot of their eggs in the Simon Kinberg basket, so hopefully he knows what he's doing! The fact that Dave is an executive producer and so heavily involved really gives me hope that they'll follow up on the characters from TCW, especially since the article mentions the Jedi still being hunted. There will also be less EU to retcon here so hopefully that aspect won't turn as many people away as TCW did.

Is this basically a semi-official canceling of the mythical live action series?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Here is the official story on StarWars.com.

This is, to me anyway, the best news that has come out of the Disney purchase since Michael Arndt was announced. Finally they're going to explore the dark times! In the video, Dave mentions that it will be in CG, not traditional animation, so I hope it looks half as good as TCW did - I'm so glad that Joel Aron and Kilian Plunkett are confirmed as being on board. Presumably they'll be able to save on the budget by reusing the vast amount of ships and sets created for TCW. They're really putting a lot of their eggs in the Simon Kinberg basket, so hopefully he knows what he's doing! The fact that Dave is an executive producer and so heavily involved really gives me hope that they'll follow up on the characters from TCW, especially since the article mentions the Jedi still being hunted. There will also be less EU to retcon here so hopefully that aspect won't turn as many people away as TCW did.
    I agree. There is a lot more area for them to dabble in than what was crammed into the Clone Wars. I'd still like to see the whole Halcyon/Horn story play out, Asohka's story, Anya Kuro's story, A'Sharad Hett's fall to the darkside. We may even find out what happens to Rex, Cody and Ventress. Always wondered why Alpha-17 was never in TCW.

El Chuxter, I am skeptical Star Wars could pull off a live action series. Even the best TV shows lack the effects and budget necessary for the expectations the fandom has for anything Star Wars. Look at the difference between Star Trek movies verses their television counterparts. Or Stargate. Falling Skies may be a cool TV show but it ain't anything close to a Star wars movie.
    Last edited by RendarStillLives; 05-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RendarStillLives View Post
    I agree. There is a lot more area for them to dabble in than what was crammed into the Clone Wars. I'd still like to see the whole Halcyon/Horn story play out, Asohka's story, Anya Kuro's story, A'Sharad Hett's fall to the darkside. We may even find out what happens to Rex, Cody and Ventress. Always wondered why Alpha-17 was never in TCW.

El Chuxter, I am skeptical Star Wars could pull off a live action series. Even the best TV shows lack the effects and budget necessary for the expectations the fandom has for anything Star Wars. Look at the difference between Star Trek movies verses their television counterparts. Or Stargate. Falling Skies may be a cool TV show but it ain't anything close to a Star wars movie.
    Alpha wasn't in TCW since they didn't want to have everyone's name starting with an A - Anakin, Ahsoka, Artoo, Alpha. So he was basically turned into Rex.

I really do want to see how the clones are integrated into the Imperial army - this show would probably be the best place for it.

The budget for the live-action show was the reason it stayed on the shelf for so long. Then again, it was mainly because Lucasfilm didn't have the budget and didn't want to have to compromise by working with another company - maybe Disney would have the cash? As I mentioned elsewhere, even though these series would take place in the same 19-year span, they seem like they would be dealing with different topics and characters. (Though if it follows TCW's lead, it will jump all over the place.)