SW Rebels is 14 years after ROTS according to new SW calendar system

I found this fairly interesting:

http://io9.com/star-wars-undergoes-a...sis-1618055070

Earlier this month, Leland Chee tweeted this:

I II CW III R IV V VI

0 10 10-13 13 27 32 35 36

That's an official canonical calendar for Star Wars, based on TPM being the zero date, including Clone Wars and Rebels. One of the commenters in the thread points out that Palpatine taking power might make a better zero date since it marks a new government system in power for the majority of the SW galaxy, which is an interesting take on it if you MUST have a calendar not based on ANH/the battle of Yavin.

While I think io9 is making a mountain out of a molehill here, they aren't wrong exactly. Adding a second calendar system now is confusing for the existing but easier for newcomers, yet keeping the existing calendar system going as well just makes it baffling for those newcomers to follow 2 systems.

Perhaps the most interesting element though is that Rebels takes place 14 years after Episode III, which means it's 5 years before ANH. Having read A New Dawn, the prelude to Rebels, the back cover says the story takes place some time before the events of the new show, giving Hera and Kanan time to develop a relationship and the rest of their rebel cell before meeting Ezra Bridger. The book IIRC is a bit vague about how much time had passed between the rise of the Empire and its events, but I do seem to remember a hard number somewhere regarding Kanan's age - though the book is also an Advance Reader edition so that could be changed anyway.

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

History is written by the rodents, er, mice, or new owners, uh, victors. Right?

This is more confirmation that there will be two Star Warses. And I don't expect a Crisis on Infinite Coruscants series to "clear up" this mess.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    And I don't expect a Crisis on Infinite Coruscants series to "clear up" this mess.
    Mara and Corran would lay waste to these new guys.

On the bright side, Star Wars is now a closed book, so to speak.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    History is written by the rodents, er, mice, or new owners, uh, victors. Right?

This is more confirmation that there will be two Star Warses. And I don't expect a Crisis on Infinite Coruscants series to "clear up" this mess.
    Nope! There's no mess whatsoever. Leland Chee Tweeted this later to clear up confusion:
    0-36 are not new official timeline years. They're just numbers to convey the span of years between films we've always been using.
    Also:
    We'll still use timelines that mark Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope as Year 0.
    Nothing here is new information, and nothing here changes anything. The differences in years are the same as they've been for a while – when the films came out, ESB was one year after ANH, and ROTJ was six months later, but they've been three and four years later for as long as I can remember. It's just io9 and several other sites not doing their research and jumping to alarmist conclusions.

However, planets will have their own year numbers, which makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Perhaps the most interesting element though is that Rebels takes place 14 years after Episode III, which means it's 5 years before ANH. Having read A New Dawn, the prelude to Rebels, the back cover says the story takes place some time before the events of the new show, giving Hera and Kanan time to develop a relationship and the rest of their rebel cell before meeting Ezra Bridger. The book IIRC is a bit vague about how much time had passed between the rise of the Empire and its events, but I do seem to remember a hard number somewhere regarding Kanan's age - though the book is also an Advance Reader edition so that could be changed anyway.
    The book is either nine or 10 years after ROTS. Kanan is 28 at the start of Rebels and Hera is 24, and in the book Kanan believes Hera to be around 19 and is himself described as being in his early 20s. Rebels' placement in the timeline was revealed at last year's New York Comic-Con, I believe.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram