Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Greg Weisman was at Denver Comic Con this past weekend and - hey, what do you know! - so was I. He spoke at a panel on the future of Star Wars and was really the only interesting part, surrounded by no-name bloggers and a Dark Horse guy who did nothing but bash the prequels and basically admit they had no idea what was going on (they didn't even know who any of the writers of the new films were going to be, despite that being one of the few actual confirmations).

Weisman said that he had only been working on the show for two weeks, evidently having been hired on Friday, May 17. They already knew it would be a show set between the trilogies when he was hired. I asked a question about George's involvement (since he's consulting on Episode VII and came up with the stories for TCW), and he said he hadn't met him at all in the two weeks he'd been working. But Weisman, Filoni, Kinberg, Pablo Hidalgo, and a few others have already come up with the stories for the first season and were going to be refining episodes four through seven this week. He confirmed that it will be CGI, not 2D animation. When someone (rudely) asked whether it would "screw over" the continuity like The Clone Wars did, Weisman said that it wouldn't go against anything from the films but also wouldn't be beholden to every single story that's ever come out, citing similar questions from his time on Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice. He also joked that Wedge Antilles would be the only character and that it would be entirely a monologue, so I'm surprised that hasn't spread online more.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    When someone (rudely) asked whether it would "screw over" the continuity like The Clone Wars did, Weisman said that it wouldn't go against anything from the films but also wouldn't be beholden to every single story that's ever come out, citing similar questions from his time on Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice. He also joked that Wedge Antilles would be the only character and that it would be entirely a monologue, so I'm surprised that hasn't spread online more.
    I'm glad they're not going to allow the existing EU to become a straight-jacket for them, it's better to allow the show to stretch its creative legs and establish its own identity. If it ends up conflicting with some novel written 10, 15, or 20 years ago.... well, who really cares?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Cool to hear. Did they talk at all about the characters they intended to use? This is an interesting series in that it doesn't take place when and where any major movie characters would be seen.

I'm not surprised the word didn't get out from this panel, these smaller cons popping up to eat SDCC's lunch aren't as connected, the numbers aren't there yet for most of them.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Cool to hear. Did they talk at all about the characters they intended to use? This is an interesting series in that it doesn't take place when and where any major movie characters would be seen.

I'm not surprised the word didn't get out from this panel, these smaller cons popping up to eat SDCC's lunch aren't as connected, the numbers aren't there yet for most of them.
    He didn't say anything about the actual content other than it takes place between Episode III and IV, a time period he was excited to explore due to all the possibilities. His Twitter feed has numerous examples of him denying spoiler requests, but he also tweets frequently, so there are occasionally some Rebels-related tidbits - on June 5, he tweeted about a story conference with Dave Filoni and someone whose name he considered a spoiler and didn't mention. I do think he'll be a fun, open presence at conventions and that sort of thing, similar to how Dave has been a really strong ambassador to the fans, but he's just not able to say much yet.

I don't think the series will be completely devoid of main characters - Vader and Palpatine will very likely make appearances (I have a hard time believing they'll pass up showing Vader hunting Jedi), and so will R2-D2 and C-3PO, I'm sure. Obi-Wan and Yoda are a toss-up, but they could explore a bit more with the Force ghosts if they so choose. I can also see them bringing in Leia more than Luke, particularly if Bail is going to have a role. Originally TCW was going to be about all-new characters and not Obi-Wan and Anakin, but I can't see Disney trying out all new characters with no connections to the films in this show.

Bryan Young from Big Shiny Robot says he was at the convention, and I saw his table, and he put up an audio interview with Weisman that covers him getting hired and watching TCW (he says he's a fan of Ahsoka, so I wonder if that will make her more likely to appear in Rebels). I thought his site would have been one to have had more coverage overall, and he claims he was on the future of SW panel - though I'm reasonably sure he wasn't, as I know he's a big PT fan and there wasn't a kind word said about them the entire panel. Maybe he's talking about a different panel, though he did plan to be at that one.

I asked a question about George's involvement (since he's consulting on Episode VII and came up with the stories for TCW), and he said he hadn't met him at all in the two weeks he'd been working. But Weisman, Filoni, Kinberg, Pablo Hidalgo, and a few others have already come up with the stories for the first season and were going to be refining episodes four through seven this week.
    Feel free to take this with a grain of salt (or two, or three) but I recently shared a bus ride with Leland Chee and overheard him say that he hasn't seen George around the Lucasfilm HQ in San Francisco since the deal was finalized with Disney. I couldn't tell you what that means exactly, but it sounded like George's advisory role is either in low-gear at the moment or that it's being done from a distance.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I don't think the series will be completely devoid of main characters - Vader and Palpatine will very likely make appearances (I have a hard time believing they'll pass up showing Vader hunting Jedi), and so will R2-D2 and C-3PO, I'm sure. Obi-Wan and Yoda are a toss-up, but they could explore a bit more with the Force ghosts if they so choose. I can also see them bringing in Leia more than Luke, particularly if Bail is going to have a role. Originally TCW was going to be about all-new characters and not Obi-Wan and Anakin, but I can't see Disney trying out all new characters with no connections to the films in this show.
    Vader and Palps I can't imagine being main characters, but that'd be very interesting if they were the focus.

R2 and 3PO I feel like they need a rest as main characters, the prequels overplayed that hand with ROTS especially. Force Ghosts, I dunno, it's very soon after Yoda said it was a rarity to have them.

Bryan Young from Big Shiny Robot says he was at the convention, and I saw his table, and he put up an audio interview with Weisman that covers him getting hired and watching TCW (he says he's a fan of Ahsoka, so I wonder if that will make her more likely to appear in Rebels). I thought his site would have been one to have had more coverage overall, and he claims he was on the future of SW panel - though I'm reasonably sure he wasn't, as I know he's a big PT fan and there wasn't a kind word said about them the entire panel. Maybe he's talking about a different panel, though he did plan to be at that one.
    Ahsoka if she joins the rebels HAS to die in this series though, you can't have her getting involved again and not explain her absence in the OT any other way, but it'd be ok to have her, it'd make sense enough.

The Denver con doesn't list online the panelists for each panel? That should answer that question easily. And as for not a kind PT fan there, that's how it goes sometimes, gotta stand for what you believe in even in the face of adversity.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    Feel free to take this with a grain of salt (or two, or three) but I recently shared a bus ride with Leland Chee and overheard him say that he hasn't seen George around the Lucasfilm HQ in San Francisco since the deal was finalized with Disney. I couldn't tell you what that means exactly, but it sounded like George's advisory role is either in low-gear at the moment or that it's being done from a distance.
    Doesn't surprise me in the least, as an advisor it'd be in the writing process right now which may not take place at Lucasfilm at all.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Dave Filoni posted a blog entry about sculptor Darren Marshall, who is leaving Lucasfilm Animation this week. The article shows his design for Oppo Rancisis from upcoming TCW content, and since Darren also sculpted the primary characters for Rebels, there's a small shot of Dave and Darren holding a stormtrooper sculpt. It's stylized with a higher "mouth" and more menacing-looking eyes, but it looks like it would fit right in with TCW, so it seems likely that they'll be following the same style.

TCW animation supervisor Keith Kellogg's Twitter feed confirms his Rebels involvement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Vader and Palps I can't imagine being main characters, but that'd be very interesting if they were the focus.

R2 and 3PO I feel like they need a rest as main characters, the prequels overplayed that hand with ROTS especially. Force Ghosts, I dunno, it's very soon after Yoda said it was a rarity to have them.
    I wasn't saying that any of them had to be the main characters of the show necessarily, but I don't doubt that they'll be involved in some way. The reason I brought up the Force ghosts is that rumor has it that some of TCW's bonus content may delve into this subject a little bit, but if they wanted to explain it a little more, then they could have Obi-Wan and/or Yoda and/or Qui-Gon make an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Ahsoka if she joins the rebels HAS to die in this series though, you can't have her getting involved again and not explain her absence in the OT any other way, but it'd be ok to have her, it'd make sense enough.
    She doesn't have to join the rebels, I was just using "Rebels" to refer to the show's title (though since it has no punctuation, I guess it's called "Star Wars Rebels," so maybe we should abbreviate it SWR). I can't imagine Dave not at least wanting to show where she is, but whether or not he does is a different story.

For those keeping track at home, the Celebration Europe first look at Star Wars Rebels will take place 6:30 a.m. EST/3:30 a.m. PST this Saturday morning. I'm not sure how much they can possibly have completed by this point, but hopefully there will at least be a good amount of concept art and information about it.

Here is the official logo and some concept art, including the main character's ship, called Ghost. The art is very McQuarrie-esque.

Here is the Star Wars Blog's coverage. Evidently the show will take place closer to ANH than ROTS, but it sounds from various sources that Dave seemed coy about whether or not he'd bringing in Clone Wars characters, so it's seeming pretty likely. That makes me so happy.

Bleeding Cool has more updates, including hi-res photos of the concept art shown at the panel.

There's also an exclusive Rebels logo T-shirt that sold out in person within minutes but is available through their site. I ordered mine. Can you tell I'm looking forward to this show?

Here is the official logo and some concept art, including the main character's ship, called Ghost. The art is very McQuarrie-esque.

Here is the Star Wars Blog's coverage. Evidently the show will take place closer to ANH than ROTS, but it sounds from various sources that Dave seemed coy about whether or not he'd bringing in Clone Wars characters, so it's seeming pretty likely. That makes me so happy.

Bleeding Cool has more updates, including hi-res photos of the concept art shown at the panel.

There's also an exclusive Rebels logo T-shirt that sold out in person within minutes but is available through their site. I ordered mine. Can you tell I'm looking forward to this show?
    I promoted your post to news with a little editing.

Good stuff, although I don't get a feeling of Star Wars from the Ghost image, the Ghost looks like a cross between the middle of the Falcon and the Narcissus from Aliens, while the other ships just seem like 1970s sci-fi imagery.

The TIE Fighter smashing into that natural column on what used to be Alderaan is neat, the lack of response from an empty world makes such a statement - nobody stops to help out or take advantage or anything, a pilot makes a mistake and crashes and likely dies and does so all alone.

The logo is ok, not WOW GOTTA HAVE IT for me but fine.

That stormtrooper is really offputting at first glance, but it could work in a cartoony universe.