Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: N.h.l. - R.i.p.

Angry N.h.l. - R.i.p.

As much as I love hockey, and the cancellation of the rest season was no surprise, it still ticks me off.

Millionaires fighting millionaires.

*sigh*
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Re: N.h.l. - R.i.p.

I agree, the owners are a bunch of tanks for this one. Hopefully they can get their shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtuff together in time for next year.Lord Stanley is turning over in his grave...
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

This is the first time a professional sports league has cancelled a season due to a labor dispute.
    Also the first time a professional sports league has cancelled a season since the flu epidemic of 1919.
    Welcome to the history books, NHL.
    It is truly a sad day.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

ESPNews was showing a "What could've been" -type montage today. I'll be damned if I didn't start tearing up! It's hard to believe that when your talking the sick amounts of money they are, six million dollars couldn't be overcome somehow. What REALLY ticks me off is the greed involved. The cap that was offered by the NHL was (correct me if I'm wrong) $52 million. That was higher than the payroll of 70% of NHL teams. That means that the other 30% (teams including Detroit, Toronto, New York, and Philadelphia to name a few) ruined it for everyone (I don't believe that an expansion team like Atlanta would balk at 52 million, do you?). What I hated was every "zero-hour meeting" between the owners and players. Barry Melrose said it best: "I've felt like a toilet seat the last few days: up and down and up and down". Even after Gary Bettman's punk @$$ called the season, Darren "thank God for broadcasting" Pang was speculating that the NHLPA might give in during their press conference. Gimme a break. Let it go. These greedy bastards don't talk for monthes, yet people expected them to get it together in a week?! The NHL expanded too fast (*cough*Nashville Predators,Atlanta Thrashers, Minnesota Wild*cough*) and now they're paying for it. In a sense it serves them right. It sucks that we pay for it along with them.
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.

In my opinion, everyone involved in the NHL has had delusions of grandeur since the league expanded past 21 teams. Pitching in baseball is a little thin because of the number of teams - well hockey is the exact same way AT EVERY POSITION. I think this will serve the game well in the long run (the GAME, not the fans, just the on-ice NHL product) if it leads to a rule review/changes and possibly contraction. I see a well-marketed league of 24 teams as a very viable option provided they all learn to live within their means. Revenue sharing IS a must (the league needs 6 teams above the border), I don't think a salary cap is. I like the Red Wings, and I have no problem with some of their revenue helping a team like Calgary with die-hard hockey fans get by. I don't want the money going to the Hurricanes or Florida Panthers knowing that no one down there gives a crap. Hockey is a great and beautiful game. Those who don't care to support it don't deserve teams anyhow. Review the rules, contract the league, get a collective deal done and drop the puck on time next year. I know none of this will happen, but it's a nice daydream.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    I don't want the money going to the Hurricanes or Florida Panthers knowing that no one down there gives a crap.
    That's a big problem. All of these cities want an NHL team for economic reasons (i.e. bringing in tourists during tourism off season) and a championship. The Florida Panthers set the bar WAY too high when they made the finals in their second year. Now every Nashville, Atlanta, and Phoenix EXPECTS that type of performance. When the team doesn't deliver (read: plays how a typical expanion team does) the fans run away in droves and take their money with them. I'm not totally sold on revenue sharing. The only teams I'd like to see it help is the Canadian teams (we took their game, we might as well give them some of the money ), but unfortunately most of their teams have migrated (for the most part unsuccessfully) to the US already. Also, when your live in a state and are a fan of one of the top three or four NHL teams revenue sharing isn't such a hot idea. You don't go to a Wings, Avalanche, Flyers, or Devils game to donate. You go to see your team play, not help get the Penguins dig out of their financial hole.
    Last edited by CaptainSolo1138; 02-17-2005 at 11:26 AM.

Plain and simple...a luxury tax, just like baseball, it helps everyone out. If the owners wanna build a monster squad, have em pay for it....
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I couldn't agree more, KH. It obviously hasn't hurt the Yankees

Exactly, put rules in place that are meant to be broken with a punishment:

We have a salary capof 35 million....you can go over but you willbe penalized..Rangers, Devils, Rockies Refd Wings, Blues, all the big market teams willhave to cough up some dough, but it willalso make them watch what they are doing and therefore, hopefully balance out the league with talent. Contraction isnt a bad idea also...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSolo1138
    The NHL expanded too fast (*cough*Nashville Predators,Atlanta Thrashers, Minnesota Wild*cough*)

Dude, knocking the Wild, that's just a personal attack...Minnesota has always been a hot bed for Hockey. Need I remind you of the coach and bulk of the team who won gold in 80??? Our entire state shuts down for the High School Hockey tourney and the high school state playoffs pulls in more fans than pro games. Gee...lets see...we have how many D-I college hockey schools in this state??? Minnesota is the STATE of hockey.

Anyways, to be honest the Minnesota North Stars never should have been allowed to move to Dallas, Norm priced the tickets beyond reach for the average joe and wanted a new rink...on tax payers dime, when he's pulling in millions and millions on expensive tickets and advertising. He wanted us to pad his wallet and give him more money by shelling out for a new rink. Add in the fact that he was trying to beat a sex scandle and he wanted to get the heck out of town to make the lawsuit go away. Minnesota never should have lost a team, and the NHL never should have supported a move to Texas.

Same can be said for the old Nordiques, Whalers, and Jets. The Whalers and Jets moved down into the sunbelt...where the respect for hockey and understanding just isn't there. If this issue, and money problems would have been address years ago, when clubs were struggling the NHL wouldn't be in this situation.

I was more ticked at the changing of the names of the conferences, divisions and then this North America vs World all star crap.

Pro sports paychecks are way outta line these days anyways. When a 4th line player gets 2-3 mill just to sign, barely plays or sits in the minors for years, and still rakes in the money, the sport has a problem. All this guarenteed money is a joke no wonder clubs claim they are loosing money, its stupid stuff like this that gets them in trouble. I'm at the point where if this strike goes on for 2-3 years, I'd be fine letting the over paid players and greedy owners sit and think about what they had, and let teams fold.