Hybrid View

Lightbulb 30th Anniversary!! Post your RETURN OF THE JEDI memories here:

Now, I guess I'll go first.

I remember going to opening day (there weren't many theaters that did morning shows unless it was a Saturday or Sunday) at the theater that no longer is a theater. My mom and dad got there before anyone else had lined up, so we went to the Burger King (which is still a BK) across the parking lot for dinner. I recall watching people start to line up, and my chances at being first gone like Fett down a Sarlaac. BTW, some friends I met later in middle/high school were apparently at that same theater that night, but I didn't know who they were yet. That was the only time I saw ROJ in a theater, prior to the SE in the mid/late '90s.

Others, on this Happy Birthday to ROJ day?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I still have not seen this movie. Hard to believe, huh?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I still have not seen this movie. Hard to believe, huh?
    So do we need to post spoiler warnings?

I didn't actually watch ROTJ until 1986, but the merchandising juggernaut that swept through everything in 1983 had a profound impact on me as a kid. It was the first major motion picture marketing event that I can remember and it's been the prototype for every big summer movie ever since.

I think not seeing the movie for 3 years actually helped extend my interest in Star Wars long after all of my friends had moved on or "grown up." I was kind of obsessed with the film during those years and would gobble up whatever scraps of information I could dig up about it. I read the novelization and storybooks over and over again, so I knew the story almost by heart before seeing the film. As a result, I was slightly disappointed after my first viewing of ROTJ, but I watched it about 15 more times that summer and it ingrained itself in my mind. It wasn't until the Special Editions came out that I realized ROTJ wasn't almost unanimously considered to be the greatest film of all time.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    So do we need to post spoiler warnings?
    Probably would be a good idea. I'll see it eventually. I've seen some of the toys, and I love those "baby Wookiees" that appear. Crossing my fingers that Boba Fett leads all the other bounty hunters into battle. I just hope Yoda doesn't die.

Tommy, close your eyes.

Although I was around at the time I have no Return of the Jedi memories to speak of on that faithful day. I was only 7 months old. The only thing I can say with almost certainty is I likely messed my pants on that day.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Probably would be a good idea. I'll see it eventually. I've seen some of the toys, and I love those "baby Wookiees" that appear. Crossing my fingers that Boba Fett leads all the other bounty hunters into battle. I just hope Yoda doesn't die.

Then I guess I shouldn't spoil the movie by telling you that Luke and Leia totally hook up and she dumps Han for good.... oops...
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

SPOLEIERS ZALERT: Well, Vader turns out NOT to be Luke's father, but interestingly he IS Leia's. Jabba the Hut is still a green alien, like in the Marvel Comic. Han tells Lando for some reason that he didn't kill his wife; Lando says "I don't care." Threepio and Artoo turn into the Death Star and make an amazing drink out of Greedo's carcass. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Fraggle Rock puppets.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I still remember that hot day in May waiting in line at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, my grandmother took me and the line was out the courtyard onto the street for a mid-day showing. At 7 years old, ROTJ was pretty much everything I could have wanted after the sad ending of ESB, and I came out of the theater re-enacting Luke's saber catch over the Dune Sea.

Oops, looks like I accidentally goofed the comments out of the article, they're still in the forums though:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/showth...-memories-here

Sorry about that, new comments will show up in both.