Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I bought Padme from Target. If you sign up for Target's Cartwheel mobile phone coupon system, you can save 5% on your black series purchases.

TRU was having a BOGO50% sale when I found Biggs, Vader, and a Biker Scout the other day. I had already found 2x Scouts, Clone Lt, Clone Pilot, 2x Anakins, and maybe something else at Target earlier in the day but passed at $10 each.

None of the 3 Biker Scouts I saw had remotely adequate paint on the helmet, worst masking I've seen in years, hopefully that gets smoothed out; paint on the Scout Trooper is a little different from the TRU-exclusive set last year, boots have a yellow sole instead of tan was the big thing I noticed.

So I bought Biggs and Vader.

Biggs is good, they did his eyes small so he reminds me of Clark Gable in the face. I think the body is new, or at least partly new, the pilot chest box hose plugs in under the right armpit, and it's not translucent the way the other pilot figures in orange have been. The helmet is well painted but lacks weathering. A lot of work was put sculpting the hair messy just right, even with a part in the right place, and effort was taken to paint the part. This is officially the last Biggs Darklighter figure I want to see Hasbro do, it's stupid that a blink-and-you-miss-him character has almost half a dozen different figures.

Vader is much better than I expected, but I expected very little. The body is the Evolutions one yet again, the soft goods through the armor body, but they finally stepped up the soft goods to the quality of other figures in the line so it's not as transparent and lightweight. The head, I think this is a new sculpt as it's one piece and it's actually sharper than the recent ANH Vader head. The head and belt are rendered very nicely, it looks like someone took the time to let the parts cool longer than they usually do as they're sharp and have no warping, and their shiny black color is very strong compared to most. The shoulder armor is still way bendy due to the odd design of the figure. The blast effect is nifty and removable, the hand can hold the included Han blaster which has a nice sculpt to it, or the regular overly-open hand can.

Vader's cape is another through-the-neck-post affair, but the head is easily removable so once again he can wear his cape on a chain like he's supposed to.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Got my hands on Luke, Anakin, and Biggs yesterday and having gotten them out of the packaging I'm afraid I'm not blown away. JT pretty much covered the Biggs so I won't waste the digital ink but I've gotta say that the Luke is pretty lame. For starters, the head sculpt seems okay head on but from either profile it looks like a completely different person. At some point I'll try some head swaps and see if there's anything that fits the post that looks better. I'm also not thrilled with the way the lightsaber hilt (when plugged into the figure) causes the edge of the jacket to flare out, but in retrospect, Luke doesn't wear his saber during the ceremony (which I think is interesting because the symbolism of having a Jedi fighting for the Rebellion would have a lot of symbolism to the average grunt) so I guess it's not a big deal.

The Anakin is a welcome update since it does away with the soft goods (though, this may not be the first in that regard) and it has really interesting ankle joints that I don't think I've seen on a Star Wars figure thus far. They're like some super ball joint that allows for the usual range of motion but also allows the ankle to roll in or outward for more dynamic posing. This would be a cool new joint to use on troopers and Jedi to open up greater posing options for people who like to display their figures in action. I've got two knocks against the Anakin figure, the first is the mechanical hand which is a little on the flimsy side. This makes it difficult to press into the socket without bending and if it isn't inserted properly, it just falls out of the sleeve. The second issue is the fact that Anakin doesn't come with a lightsaber hilt despite having the hole drilled in his belt for one. I've got plenty already so this isn't a huge problem for me, it's just that if this is meant to be a deluxe collector line, how come they failed to include such a minor accessory that probably wouldn't have affected the cost of this figure and certainly would have fit in the bubble?
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Not surprised at all on those notes on Luke, that figure really looked like a misfire to me.

So Anakin's ankles, I've seen this design before on a few figures but the joint often ends up leaving a gap between the shoe and the ankle, is that not an issue with Anakin?

Your point on not including the hilt is right on the money, this isn't a premium figure if you can't find the money to include a silver lightsaber hilt that already has existing tooling.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    So Anakin's ankles, I've seen this design before on a few figures but the joint often ends up leaving a gap between the shoe and the ankle, is that not an issue with Anakin?
    That's exactly why I noticed the new joint in the first place. I was turning the figure over in my hand, inspecting it from all sides and said, "Whoa, they totally f'ed up his ankles!" Then, looking closer saw it was a new joint design. In the dark colors of his boots the gap isn't terribly noticeable but on white troopers like I suggested, it might be more of an eye-sore.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    That's exactly why I noticed the new joint in the first place. I was turning the figure over in my hand, inspecting it from all sides and said, "Whoa, they totally f'ed up his ankles!" Then, looking closer saw it was a new joint design. In the dark colors of his boots the gap isn't terribly noticeable but on white troopers like I suggested, it might be more of an eye-sore.
    Ah, ok. Yeah, I like the IDEA of this joint, but the execution in other lines has left me cold. Not only is it aesthetically questionable, but I feel like it's a lot of weight on a very small point of failure. So far though, the joint has passed with flying colors, I guess most of the weight is still left on the shoe rather than the peg.

The several Targets I hit today all had reset, but all had pegs labeled for TVC and not TBS, which I really think will come back to bite them in the long run. So far I haven't seen a store that's gotten in more than one case, at least from what I can tell. I did pick up a second Clone Pilot with better visor paint, though.

A few of the Walmarts had also reset, but their SW sections were pretty small compared to what they once were (those 31" Vaders certainly didn't help anything). One that had pegs labeled for 3 3/4" Black Series were crammed full of full-price Discover the Force trash from 17 months ago. It looks like Walmart is clearing out TCW figures at $7 each, though at most of mine, the DTF, Movie Heroes, and TPM TVC figures are the problems, not TCW.

I think TBS is using the same DPCI number as TVC at Target, which would explain the TVC shelf tags.

Saw these for the first time, first hand, yesterday at the local Kmart. Nice to see the figs are gonna be $10 at the Big K and not higher, like past lines.

Padme was gone. Anakin and the clones looked good. Biggs' flight suit was too orange. Like safety cone orange, but that's my thought. No sign of ceremonial Luke.

Things are not looking good for this line.

All the retailers around me seem to be stocking Mission Series and Legends, Targets got the over priced exclusive "Rise of Vader" or whatever, but no 3.75 inch Black Series anywhere around. One or two Target's have at least one peg available for them but none in sight.

Target seems to be the only one carrying the 6 inch Black Series and they only got 1 case per store, all sold out around me. Hopefully they will get another case and the figures will actually make it to the shelves.

I have to admit, I'd be a lot more excited about the Legends and Mission series if they had more OT characters. I don't buy PT stuff anymore.
    May the force be with you.