Hybrid View

Sideshow deluxe 1/6th Clone Troopers

Sideshow posted a preview of 4 new 12" Clone Troopers in a "deluxe" line:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=38725

Ignore the "pre-order's" misuse of the apostrophe. Also, I don't think the lights shown in the images are anything other than photoshopped, none of the elements with lights in the preview are big enough to have batteries.

But don't ignore the contest form to win all 4.

These look like the most recent regular clone trooper bodysuit and armor we already have, but with more accessories.

The Deluxe 501st trooper has a very small thermal detonator, like ITTY BITTY small, and a new backpack. The paint is very weathered, although I don't know if that's just prototype-itis or if that's the intent.

The Deluxe Veteran trooper has the same backpack, and a horribly underscaled Z-6 rotary blaster, like half-scale or at best 2/3rds. The Z-6 in the image doesn't look like it can rotate, you can see a mold line running down the length of the body, and the whole thing is molded to the top sight. The trooper is also very weathered and has larger scuffs as well.

The Deluxe Shiny trooper appears identical to the Veteran figure, except no weathering or scuffs, all white. Same accessories.

The Deluxe 212th trooper doesn't show any accessories beyond its standard DC-15a rifle, and the paint has similar heavy weathering to the 501st guy.

So, what do you think, is it a welcome update or a questionable cash grab? Are you thinking of buying any of them, or do you already have them, or can you not afford deluxe 1/6th figures?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

So they're up, and it turns out they all have the same equipment - each has the same backpack, Z-6 rotary cannon, 4 droid poppers, and both phase 1 and 2 helmets - and each one is $140, expected ship date is December.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

You can now order Echo and Fives. They look great, but 199 dollars is way to much considering the troopers are now repacks with new paint jobs.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

They have new clone portrait heads and paint, I guess that's worth the change to someone who cares about these 2 characters that much. Considering how expensive these figures are getting, the price doesn't seem outrageous anymore, but I won't be getting them.

I suppose considering the generic clones are 150 a piece, two for 200 might be considered a steal. I just think the fact that the clone troopers are being developed at a much greater pace than regular figures should provide a little more relief at the price tag.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I suppose considering the generic clones are 150 a piece, two for 200 might be considered a steal. I just think the fact that the clone troopers are being developed at a much greater pace than regular figures should provide a little more relief at the price tag.
    I absolutely agree, but I guess as long as some fans keep paying it, it's really they who should be blamed as much as Sideshow. It's like SSC is using these to fund secret projects a la the Iran-Contra scandal of the '80s.