Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

What is coming up next in your collecting world?

So, we're just breaking through one of Hasbro's darkest times in the modern era, and collecting in general has been pretty weak, not only Hasbro Star Wars, but pretty much every major brand.

With Comic-Con coming up, it got me thinking about what types of things I'll be looking for there, and what I'm looking forward to delving into collecting in general for 2013, part 2; so I figured I'd ask the same question of you guys.

My collecting will start with Transformers, which has been in a massive slump, very little offerings the past 6 months, and I'm hoping the Generations line can kick into higher gear for the next 6. Metroplex is at the forefront of that collecting focus, followed by the comics pack deluxes.

I'll also be continuing with Transformers: Robots in Disguise and More than Meets the Eye comic book series from IDW.

Hasbro Star Wars I guess will get back on board, and in theory I'll be back with it. I'm not loving what I'm seeing from the 3.75" line so far though, and Saga Legends doesn't have much at first that I want, although there are a few pieces that have caught my eye on a Kenner-style appeal, and Jango looks really good as a statue. I'm really not feeling the look of the 6" SDCC exclusive Boba Fett figure itself, it just looks like an upscaled 3.75" figure and the shoulder armor work is WORSE than any previous going back to 1979.

I think Koto's ArtFX+ Star Wars pieces will get focus coming up. I know the newer Koto's ice cube silicone SW pieces will be in my collection, and maybe as some gifts for friends as well.

Diamond Select Toys' Star Trek starships will be on my docket, definitely looking forward to the Klingon Bird of Prey and the Excelsior.

I can't think of anything else that's really getting my attention.

So what's your collecting future look like?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

My collecting has dwindled down to Funko SW bobble head figures. I reached Hasbro burn-out years ago.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

I'm looking forward to the next wave of GI Joe figures, which are supposed to hit next month, but after that, I think GI Joe will go through another transformation and maybe I will be left behind. I have a subscription to Masters of the Universe and DC Universe Mattel lines and those figures are monthly, though I'm mainly waiting for the new Castle Grayskull in December. I want to pick up a Metroplex when it hits, but I'm not a very consistent Transformers customer. I like the Marvel Universe figures and some Marvel Legends, but those are sporadic. The Square Enix DC figures are amazing, but expensive. Thankfully those are few and relatively far between, as are the DC Collectibles figures which I like several of, the upcoming stand out to me is Black Adam.

With Star Wars, I have not gone through such a prolonged period of not buying any new figures at retail since pre-1995, post-1985. I like the jumbo figures from Gentle Giant, but those are not retail and do not come out too frequently (for which I am very glad).

If all the toy lines that I once liked or still do stopped making toys that I want to collect or went into another iteration that was in vogue at the moment, I don't think I'd be too upset. Less money out the door would not bother me.

Well, I sorta stopped collecting the figures a while ago. However, I am planning on collecting the 6 inch Black line.

Honestly, my focus shifted from basic figures to larger format higher end stuff back in 2006.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    My collecting has dwindled down to Funko SW bobble head figures. I reached Hasbro burn-out years ago.
    Wow, that is a very limited collecting focus, do you display them all? Is it hypnotizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    I'm looking forward to the next wave of GI Joe figures, which are supposed to hit next month, but after that, I think GI Joe will go through another transformation and maybe I will be left behind. I have a subscription to Masters of the Universe and DC Universe Mattel lines and those figures are monthly, though I'm mainly waiting for the new Castle Grayskull in December. I want to pick up a Metroplex when it hits, but I'm not a very consistent Transformers customer. I like the Marvel Universe figures and some Marvel Legends, but those are sporadic. The Square Enix DC figures are amazing, but expensive. Thankfully those are few and relatively far between, as are the DC Collectibles figures which I like several of, the upcoming stand out to me is Black Adam.

With Star Wars, I have not gone through such a prolonged period of not buying any new figures at retail since pre-1995, post-1985. I like the jumbo figures from Gentle Giant, but those are not retail and do not come out too frequently (for which I am very glad).

If all the toy lines that I once liked or still do stopped making toys that I want to collect or went into another iteration that was in vogue at the moment, I don't think I'd be too upset. Less money out the door would not bother me.
    GI Joe does seem to be in quite a state of flux.

I didn't realize the Castle Grayskull thing went forward, I knew they were waiting for a minimum number of preorders and that was the last I heard.

Metroplex IMO is one of those things where you don't need to be consistent, just have an interest to display special items. It will tower over anything you have, no matter what.

You've certainly got a nice diverse set of collecting going on there at least, so not a lot of risk that they'd all stop at once.

I hear ya on the current SW collecting being the worst since the "dark times" collecting of '85 to '95!

The jumbo Kenner-style figures from GG, I keep telling myself I'll buy one but I keep not pulling the trigger, I guess I like knowing they're out there more than owning one. Boba Fett with J-hook missile launching back very nearly got me though.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Well, I sorta stopped collecting the figures a while ago. However, I am planning on collecting the 6 inch Black line.

Honestly, my focus shifted from basic figures to larger format higher end stuff back in 2006.
    Understandable. What was it about '06 that did it specifically, do you remember?

I want the 6" line to be premium quality, Hasbro plus Gentle Giant should make great stuff, but I'm not yet seeing worthy fruits to that in early images.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

My collecting future looks pretty interesting right now, because I really have no firm plans on how I'm going to move forward. I've sold off most of my collection over the last year to fund my comic book project. So, in a way, I get to start over and collect whatever I want.

In this lull, I've actually found myself developing an appreciation for the old Titanium series. I've only bought one (the TIE Bomber), but am looking at picking up a few more. Since I never paid much attention to them while they were in stores, it's almost like collecting a new line of toys.

As for the new stuff coming up, I'm probably looking forward to the 5-POA Saga Legends line the most. Too Prequel heavy right off the bat, but I could see myself buying a couple of Shocktroopers, Darth Vader and maybe that Jango Fett. If the price is really $5 each figure, then that's easily within my impulse buying threshold (which maxes out at $7.50 for a 3.75 inch figure). In way, I think it's the noticeable drop in the quality of the super-articulated figures over the last couple of years that has damped my enthusiasm for them. I'm actually really hoping the 5-POA figures sell well so that we can get more figures in this style.

The 6" line looks pretty awesome, but I'm just not sure I will be able to justify that price tag. I want most of the figures I've seen, but when the reality of paying $20 each hits, I will probably find myself passing on most of them. Unfortunate, but it's just the financial reality of the situation. I love the concept of the 6" line, but Hasbro has likely priced me out of the hobby here.

Some of the rumored figures for the 3.75" Black Series seem pretty exciting, but only Vizam is a must buy right now. Merumeru will depend greatly on how the figure turns out and I will probably only buy Toryn Far to use for trading fodder or just resell. Even though I have no real interest in the character, I still want to buy her to show my support for these kinds of figures. I can't remember any of the other rumored figures for the line off the top of my head, so I think that says a little bit about how interested I am in them. Wave 1 of the Black Series is probably the first premiere wave of any new Star Wars line where I haven't found a single figure to be interested in.

As for other toys, I gave up collecting non-SW toy lines back in 2008 and have never really looked back. I am following a couple of different comic book series' right now. Mostly Brian Michael Bendis' X-Men books. So that's really the only other thing I collect.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Understandable. What was it about '06 that did it specifically, do you remember?

I want the 6" line to be premium quality, Hasbro plus Gentle Giant should make great stuff, but I'm not yet seeing worthy fruits to that in early images.
    I had lost interest for some time, but it was really a matter of timing. I moved from Fort Knox to Fort Hood in 06 and prepping to deploy in early 07 through mid-08. So I just didn't have the time to keep up and after 15 months down range, I REALLY didn't feel like going back and collecting the stuff I had missed.
    May the force be with you.

I only collect the Hasbro 3 3/4" SW line, and it's crazy how dead this year has been so far. Aside from four Class I ships and three Class II ones, there's been basically nothing in this country - I did get the Canadian MH and TCW figures, though it's not like they were tremendously exciting or anything. We've had lulls in the first half of the year before, and it's basically been an annual occurrence since 2008 that I've gotten used to, but in terms of how much product is available this is worse than anything I can recall. (For many people, I assume it's felt this way since last year's distribution woes, which were not really an issue for me.) I expected Hasbro to be able to ship out the later TVC waves better, as they planned to do, but everything I've seen on my far-too-infrequent-but-what's-really-the-point store visits has either been big fat nothin' or wave 3, which was more than half TPM repacks.

In this downtime, I've been getting older items I'd missed from online and a few fortunate comic shop visits. I consider myself to be a loose completist, even though I buy everything packaged first, and my list of needs is continually shrinking. For posterity's sake (and, uh, if anyone wants to trade/sell me some of these), here's everything I'm missing, aside from a few Disney build-a-droid parts that I still want to swap:

69. Bastila Shan (The Vintage Collection, 2011)
    24. Boba Fett (Movie Heroes, 2012 - European release)
    *Sith Speeder Game with Darth Maul (Episode I, 2000 - Tyger Electronics)
    *Boba Fett Figure with Cup (Revenge of the Sith, 2005)
    *Electronic X-wing Fighter (POTF2, 1995)
    *Trade Federation Tank (Episode I, 1999)
    *Luke Skywalker's X-wing Fighter with R2-D2 Figure ("Saga," 2002 - Toys R Us Exclusive)
    *Hyperdrive Repair Kit (Episode I, 1999)
    *Tatooine Disguise Kit (Episode I, 1999)

I'll continue to be a completist for this scale, and even though the first wave of TBS doesn't look exciting (which isn't helped by the fact that we've known about these figures for over a year, and they don't have the awesome build-a-droid feature anymore to make them more interesting), it sounds like there are more interesting figures coming later in the year and I've been jonesing for my fix. I don't really have the space for a 6" line, as I'm thinking they will get released more and more often and add up quickly, at least for a little while. I'll very likely get at least R2-D2 and Darth Maul, but I'll have to rein this in before it gets out of control.

My friend recently gave me his old Ewok Village and Dagobah playsets, and in looking for replacement Endor parts, I found that it was going to be cheaper to buy an entire complete set - so that was actually my first-ever vintage Kenner purchase. The two sets (I'll be returning the incomplete Ewok Village to my friend) are the first vintage items I've owned at all. I'm not sure what I want to do from here. I've wanted those two pieces specifically for a long time partly since they have no modern counterparts and have always looked cool in and of themselves. I was kind of thinking that things would slow down a little and I'd be able to focus on getting a set of vintage figures, but that was before the new films were announced. So this might be something I have to wait a while longer to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7
    I don't own any Funko products, but I really dig the fact that they have the license for so many different franchises and iconic characters and trot them all out in the same style (even if some are bobbleheads and some aren't, they look similar). The fact that the same look includes both Mary Poppins and a Game of Thrones White Walker is just crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99

I wonder how many lapsed collectors will be brought back by the 6" line. I also wonder if it won't be up to their standards after collecting higher-end products for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I wonder how many lapsed collectors will be brought back by the 6" line. I also wonder if it won't be up to their standards after collecting higher-end products for years.
    I believe you are thinking about this backwards. As someone who is used to paying $8-10 per figure, then of course we would expect the quality on a $20 figure to be twice as good. However, someone who is used to paying $100-$150 (and even up to $300-$400) per figure is going to be VERY forgiving of a $20 toy.

What people seem to be forgetting is that the 6" figures are still going to be toys sold in the toy aisle, not high-end collectibles. I think Hasbro's spiel about catering to collectors is just hype to promote this line. They will still need a significant number of these figures to sell to kids for the line to have any sort of longevity.

Because of how dead the whole 3 3/4 scene has been, I've been focusing way more on prop replicas. I've gotten some really nice ones over the last year, including a full set of stormtrooper armor. I've also been focusing a little more on Star Trek ships/weapons. I've gotten the Klingon BOP and the Kruge disruptor and have plans for Excelsior and maybe Enterprise E. I'm by no means out of collecting SW 3 3/4 figures, but its going to be far more limited than it was before. I'm not sure about collecting the 6 in line. That'll be a wait and see for me.