Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'll give Deen credit where it's due. I'm not going to stop using some of her recipes. They aren't good for you, but, dammit, Southern food isn't supposed to be! (And that's the kind of food that's driven several members of my extended family to their grave, so, although I don't want to overindulge, I've been exposed to it from an early age and love it.)

The craziest irony about the saturation of a few main G.I.Joe characters is that there are STILL vintage figures of these characters that have not been updated. I'd buy red-mask Cobra Commander, tan camo Duke, or Ninja Force Snake Eyes in a heartbeat. And that's not counting different variations they could make, like Renegades Baroness (with the red armor), unmasked Snake Eyes, Krake as Cobra Commander II from the IDW comics, green armor Firefly, movie-accurate Retaliation Cobra Commander, etc. I think a lot of others would buy these without groaning about another stinkin' Cobra Commander, too. But we still get the same old black Snake Eyes, silver-mask Cobra Commander, catsuit Baroness, etc. Heck, if they insist on making Snake Eyes, and they've already done updates of some Brazil-only characters who were repaints (Glenda as pilot Scarlett, Ninja-Ku Storm Shadow), why not slap red and silver paint on a new Snake Eyes and call him Invasor Snake Eyes. Kids would think he's a cool new Snake Eyes, grownups would know he's an Invasor.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

So what's the deal with the Paula Deen thing? Is it just because she said the n-word 30 years ago in private conversations? Seriously? Seems like a ridiculous double standard to me, especially when African-American rappers/comedians can use the word hundreds of times in their songs. As for the other accusations against her, isn't she innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    For me, if there's no Cobra or lite sci-fi and lite-ninja stuff, there's no reason to have the ARAH concept there at all, it's just another military movie. Part of the appeal of GI Joe ARAH is the unique, colorful characters and weapons and vehicles and scenarios, the ability to be a standout personality and behavior while still working together to stop an enemy that is far too different from anything previous fought to use conventional military tactics and behaviors. And I think at this point ARAH has usurped the GI Joe name, so it'd take a big reboot with strong vision to break away from that. What do you think the GI Joe appeal would be without the ARAH elements would be for you?
    For me, as a kid, it was the more realistic looking Joes that were the most interesting for me. Guys like Flint, General Hawk, Footloose, Lt. Falcon, etc. were the ones I gravitated to the most. I also liked Snake-Eyes, but that was based on his cartoon appearances where his ninja abilities were extremely downplayed. As GI Joe started to creep more into the sci-fi/comic book style, then I lost interest. I think the 1986 assortment was was my last hurrah as GI Joe fan. I picked up a few figures from the 1987 collection, namely Falcon, and I kept tabs on GI Joe all the way into the 1990s, but as they got further and further from reality my interest never rematerialized.

I don't mind if Cobra is crazy and a little out there, but I've always preferred that the GI Joe unit itself stay as realistic as possible.

Also, I never read the comic books as a kid and my only exposure to the GI Joe universe was from the cartoon. Since most modern versions of Joe seem to be based on the comic, then that's probably why I haven't felt any special connection to any of it.

I dunno BB, when we last had collectors leave the Hasbro line for premiums - usually GG or Koto or Sideshow - whenever they took a look at the new big thing from hasbro they'd keep their quality concerns at the forefront and be very unforgiving, with only maybe an AT-AT or a BMF to coax cash out of them. Hasbro is going into the older collecting market, these are made with Gentle Giant, they're highly articulated which is a turn off for kids apparently, they're more expensive than Marvel Legends or DC Universe which are less kid-focused; if Hasbro starts trying to cut corners to grab more of the kid segment, they're going to cut themselves off at the knees by alienating both markets. If I'm spending $150 for a near-perfect Darth Vader, what about a $20 highly imperfect Vader would appeal to me? I think John is right and that's a hurdle rather than a help. Plus, it doesn't even tie into their old collections.
    You might be right. I'm thinking that some collectors might welcome the change and the fact that their wallets can breathe again. It's also possible that Hasbro is more interested in drawing in all-new collectors rather than enticing old-time collectors back into the fold. So they might be aiming at the Marvel Legends crowd or just people who have never collected Star Wars before and would be too intimidated by the sheer number of figures in the 3.75" line or the price of the Sideshow 12" figures.

Overall, though, I'm pretty optimistic about the possibilities of the 6" line. The only line that might have me more excited when I think about the possibilities is the upcoming 5-POA Saga Legends line. As long as things keep going the way they are for the SA 3.75" line, then I think my interest will continue to fade as time goes on.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    So what's the deal with the Paula Deen thing? Is it just because she said the n-word 30 years ago in private conversations? Seriously? Seems like a ridiculous double standard to me, especially when African-American rappers/comedians can use the word hundreds of times in their songs. As for the other accusations against her, isn't she innocent until proven guilty in a court of law?
    I think the media's focusing on her N-bomb because that's the only thing she's actually admitted to. The lawsuit alleges much worse; while that's not been decided on, I think it's the one-two punch of admitting using a racist word on top of the allegations that are making everyone drop her. They're all rather in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, since they're going to get complaints whether they keep her or not.

I might not agree with what she said, but it'd be pretty tough to find a white person in their 60s or older in the South who hasn't said that. I'll judge her on her meatloaf.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Do you really count those class 1 and 2 as new ships? Just one of them is ACTUALLY new in any meaningful way, the MTT Droid, to me the rest are uninspiring rehashes of existing pieces, and most seem like a step down. Then again, I don't actually own any of them, so I'm only judging based on seeing them.
    The Yoda starfighter is new, even if it's based on a mix between the larger AOTC and ROTS starfighters. They might not be never-before-made, but the new paint jobs on the Class II look good. I actually wish Hasbro had done more with this line, since I like the idea of the ship and two combatants in one package. Maybe it will continue with the cheap figures?

For Class I, I consider those new as well, even if they are all resculpts. The AOTC starfighter is pretty crappy, but the others are pretty good toys if not great collectibles. I'm actually pretty interested in seeing the ROTS ones, since they don't seem to be too scaled-down, and the original versions were too bulky.

This lull has really sucked the interest out of the brand for me, this feels different from the lull like the post-AOTC lull where at least there was a hunger and a hope for something good. This just seems to me like the brand is dead in the water and not suggesting hope of any kind. Considering last year ended with a lull too, it seems like this lull has also run longer, but interest in what's next tapered off quickly and has kinda flatlined.
    Thankfully the lull will be over soon, and hopefully there will be more interesting stuff shown off at SDCC.

I dunno BB, when we last had collectors leave the Hasbro line for premiums - usually GG or Koto or Sideshow - whenever they took a look at the new big thing from hasbro they'd keep their quality concerns at the forefront and be very unforgiving, with only maybe an AT-AT or a BMF to coax cash out of them. Hasbro is going into the older collecting market, these are made with Gentle Giant, they're highly articulated which is a turn off for kids apparently, they're more expensive than Marvel Legends or DC Universe which are less kid-focused; if Hasbro starts trying to cut corners to grab more of the kid segment, they're going to cut themselves off at the knees by alienating both markets. If I'm spending $150 for a near-perfect Darth Vader, what about a $20 highly imperfect Vader would appeal to me? I think John is right and that's a hurdle rather than a help. Plus, it doesn't even tie into their old collections.
    I agree with all of this. I hope this line does well for them but I really don't think the high-end collectors will be the ones supporting it.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

My collecting has never really ended, but there have been several dry years.

As far as SW goes, I always keep up with the following:
    - music (at least NEW stuff, of which there's been an insufficient amount IMHO )
    - EU novels, many of the "background" books
    - trading card sets
    - most video (unless it's just a new packaging design)
    - a few 3 3/4" figures (only if I like them)
    - some cheap-meaning-inexpensive stuff (like holiday bagged Lego sets, pencils, etc.)

Comic books are hit-or-miss, unless they're SW ones I like, but I still buy a couple here and there.

Bear (for my classroom, as the school I teach at has a bear mascot) and turtle (always liked the animal) items like figurines, sculptures, or images.

Clothing and souvenirs from places I have been to before.

Pittsburgh sports items I like.

That's about it. I sound like some old guy...
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

What do you think the GI Joe appeal would be without the ARAH elements would be for you?
    I've been thinking about this for the last few days and I think the answer is that I'm a fan of the military first and I only liked GI Joe because they were the closest thing to a high-quality, military-themed, action figure line when I was a kid.

Nowadays, they have military-themed toy lines, but the quality is just not there. So I can put up with some sci-fi goofiness in many of the GI Joe characters as long as Hasbro still produces the more realistic characters to balance it out. If EVERY character becomes completely detached from the real-world military, then I just lose interest in the whole thing.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    The Yoda starfighter is new, even if it's based on a mix between the larger AOTC and ROTS starfighters. They might not be never-before-made, but the new paint jobs on the Class II look good. I actually wish Hasbro had done more with this line, since I like the idea of the ship and two combatants in one package. Maybe it will continue with the cheap figures?

For Class I, I consider those new as well, even if they are all resculpts. The AOTC starfighter is pretty crappy, but the others are pretty good toys if not great collectibles. I'm actually pretty interested in seeing the ROTS ones, since they don't seem to be too scaled-down, and the original versions were too bulky.
    It's a new mold, but it's not exactly a new ship or even something anybody actually wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I've been thinking about this for the last few days and I think the answer is that I'm a fan of the military first and I only liked GI Joe because they were the closest thing to a high-quality, military-themed, action figure line when I was a kid.

Nowadays, they have military-themed toy lines, but the quality is just not there. So I can put up with some sci-fi goofiness in many of the GI Joe characters as long as Hasbro still produces the more realistic characters to balance it out. If EVERY character becomes completely detached from the real-world military, then I just lose interest in the whole thing.
    82-86
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/82/
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/84/
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/85/
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/86/
    The good guys are all still fairly grounded, they're culled from various military, while '83 on starts to also distinguish as individuals. Cobra carries the "colorful idiots" weight in the line.

Meanwhile, the modern line's new product (not throwback):
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/09/
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/10/
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/11/
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/12/
    http://www.yojoe.com/action/13/
    There's something dull about these Joes, they're too samey, they're not individuals, largely they're military still but somehow they're too much the same thing over and over again, and Cobra isn't as colorful the closer to the 2 movies you get.

I honestly think the problem isn't the military styling, it's the BORING aspect, the dullness of this line, especially at the price.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.