Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    And I have to disagree about your "psycho version of Supes" statement. He pleaded with, begged Zod to stop the heat vision blasts. Trying to look for the good in Zod as his parents would have wanted him to. Since he had never encountered Kryptonians before, there's no real way he could've known he might actually harm Zod. I saw that more as an act of desperation. Of wanting so much to not see those innocent people perish, he was willing to do something which pained him very much.

Just as I said earlier, that's the world depicted in this film. Even victories come with a measure of defeat.

I think a lot of the discussion thus far can be boiled down to whether you are more intrigued by Superman the ideal or Superman the person. Since the film emphasizes the journey of Clark towards ideals, embracing itself with detours and dilemmas, this may not be a Superman for everyone but still compelling, IMO.
    I agree. I would never consider a soldier who is forced to take a life on the battlefield or a police officer who is forced to shoot an armed criminal as "psychos" and I strongly disagree that that label applies to this latest version of Superman. Snapping Zod's neck was the moral thing to do in that specific situation. If Superman had somehow allowed Zod to live after all the death he had caused, then I think the movie would have lost all of it's credibility with me.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    But that could be said about almost every superhero film...Why didn't Iron Man lead the Chitauri slug snake creature away from the city instead of "bringing the party" to the rest of the team. I would just chalk that up to film making decisions. A fight in the city looks a lot better than one in wide open space.
    But you know what The Avengers did right. They showed them saving and rescuing civilians.

Something that Superman, had he been written correctly, also should have been doing.

Not murdering them himself by bringing buildings down around their ears like a flailing child.
    And I have to disagree about your "psycho version of Supes" statement. He pleaded with, begged Zod to stop the heat vision blasts. Trying to look for the good in Zod as his parents would have wanted him to. Since he had never encountered Kryptonians before, there's no real way he could've known he might actually harm Zod. I saw that more as an act of desperation. Of wanting so much to not see those innocent people perish, he was willing to do something which pained him very much.
    Those innocent people who could have run away. Or who Supes could have saved another way?

The version of Superman in this film has no moral code. He's a destructive menace who's a petty jerk.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    The version of Superman in this film has no moral code. He's a destructive menace who's a petty jerk.
    I absolutely disagree. It's like we didn't even watch the same movie.

I'll have to watch the movie again, because maybe I was so happy that Superman didn't spend the entire movie pining over Lois Lane and spying on her, that I missed some stuff. But I got the impression that he had a very strong moral code.

The thing with knocking the buildings down did bother me a bit, but think that had more to do with Zod keeping the fight in the city and not allowing Superman to control the fight. Again, I'll have to rewatch to see if that was the case. However, at worst, it's no different than all the destruction the Avengers caused in NYC.

Remember, Superman had spent his entire life surrounded with normal human beings, so he was used to being the strongest person around. Zod not only gained Superman's powers by the end of the movie, but he also had a lifetime of combat training to draw from. So, of course he was going to make Superman look like an amateur, because Superman WAS an amateur.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I'm not quite seeing the pettiness and lack of moral code either.

Time and time again we saw Clark putting himself on the line even though no one asked him to and no one put him up to it. To me, pettiness would have been him realizing what he's capable of but not using it in any way to better those around him, not saving anyone in distress. As well, it just isn't possible for him to be everywhere at once so as much as some of us would like to believe in the ideal that he can save everyone, it's not feasible. We see in the flashbacks that Martha suggests focusing solely on her voice to drown out all the thousands of other voices that haunt him and that lesson gets hammered home as we see him focus on the task at hand (trying to neutralize Faora and Namek in Smallville) rather than mull all possible courses of action.

On a lighter note, did anyone catch the Easter eggs? Lexcorp tanker, Wayne Enterprises satellite, Sullivan's Tractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    It's not just Zod that's an issue. Superman goes flailing and punching villains through populated buildings in both Smallville and Metropolis. So not only is he a killer of Zod,... even though they could have found a more "Supermanish" solution. He's also responsible for countless deaths. Clearly when Pa Kent suggested that "Maybe he should let people die", he encouraged the psycho version of Superman we have in this film.
    Beast this made me laugh out loud thank you!

I think Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is my favorite portrayal of a superhero.

Michael Keaton's Bruce Wayne was great. Christian Bale's pretty good.

No one's done Superman better than the cast of Smallville.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.