Article: New Hasbro The Black Series Loose and Packaged Photos

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

It's been so long since these figures were first announced that I'm trying to remember what made them new in the first place. It'll be nice to finally have a good AOTC Anakin that doesn't have the soft goods that plagued other versions. The Biker Scout from the TRU set is great so it's good to have it out again. I love the TVC AOTC clone so it's nice to have two more variations on it.

However, putting this many stark white troopers out at once will likely lead to some pegwarming by at least one of them - it probably would have been more ideal to spread them out a little more.

Also, now that the bubbles are larger than they were for TVC and the card art is so plain, I wish they would either pose the figures more interestingly (like they used to) or fill them out with more accessories. On the first point, I wonder if they want to present the figures as plainly as possible so they look more "collector-friendly" or something. On the second point, I can't help but think that even small, cheap, reused accessories would have made these figures stand out a little more, like Anakin's green lightsaber or Padmé's handcuffs. They also had more than enough time to add Anakin's cloak, like I suggested to Derryl at CVI, but alas . . .

That is a lot of troopers. And all white. And two of them prequel ones. This does not give me confidence for later waves.

Anakin's head I do not like. It looks like a tremendous step backwards from this pic.

On another note, any chance the Joe team might look at what Star Wars is doing by putting so many bad guy army builders in this case and maybe trying to replicate it? It seems like every Cobra troop builder is one per case, two if we're lucky. They could ship a case of 4 Troopers, 4 Vipers, and 4 Crimson Guards, then re-release the case six times with different paint jobs on the figures, and I think most Joe collectors would be happy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I agree that the larger bubbles need more accessories, that Anakin's head is a step backwards in that pic, that there are too many troopers... this is brutal. At least 6" R2 looks decent in box, although that black insert really takes away from the figure.

People keep talking about how "great" the new Biker Scout is, but I just don't see it. Aside from some tweaked articulation, it's a step backwards in every way. The helmet was too small on the 2006 version and it's even smaller on this version. Plus, I can't get past those shoulder joints. I guess I can forget about buying Biker Scouts until Hasbro retires this mold.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    People keep talking about how "great" the new Biker Scout is, but I just don't see it. Aside from some tweaked articulation, it's a step backwards in every way. The helmet was too small on the 2006 version and it's even smaller on this version. Plus, I can't get past those shoulder joints. I guess I can forget about buying Biker Scouts until Hasbro retires this mold.
    Sharper sculpt, helmet sits higher on this version than '06 and can look up and down without being a joke and seems taller, the shoulders are more anatomically-accurate than the '06 with its linebacker ball-joint shoulders that stick outside the torso, and the hips can actually stand AND use a bike. Still surprises me you don't like this one.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Sharper sculpt, helmet sits higher on this version than '06 and can look up and down without being a joke and seems taller, the shoulders are more anatomically-accurate than the '06 with its linebacker ball-joint shoulders that stick outside the torso, and the hips can actually stand AND use a bike. Still surprises me you don't like this one.
    I see the differences, but it still doesn't feel like an improved version and those shoulder joints kill me every time I look at them.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I see the differences, but it still doesn't feel like an improved version and those shoulder joints kill me every time I look at them.
    What about the shoulder joints kills you, the black PVC hinge or the actual sculpted design? For me, the deco issue is livable, and the joint design compared to the previous figure is a joy.

Plus, with these joints the figure can do this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	biker scout reclining.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	27645

and this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0435-ed.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	27646

And in fact, now that I'm looking at my desk area, the poses in those old photos have both been improved upon since I took them.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.