Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disney Aims to Determine Canon, Do Away with Expanded Universe

You can view the article at http://www.sirstevesguide.com/conten...anded-Universe

This one is bound to get some fans a little hot under the collar. It seems that Disney is going to start cherry-picking what is and isn't definitive Star Wars canon from all sources, the new movies all being canon and the EU having little place in it.

The Lucasfilm Story Group, including official Holocron-Keeper Leland Chee and author Pablo Hidalgo, will decide what aspects - past and present - will be part of Star Wars' new approach at a singular canon and what aspects are not.

Disney's Lucasfilm Story Group will do away with the current system that has a tiered hierarchy of canon levels for everything Star Wars from movies to Happy Meal box blurbs, and that means straightening out the 4 decades of Expanded Universe content from books and comics.

Consistency will be the aim to rule the roost come 2015 and the launch of the new films and Marvel comics, but also a path-clearing to telling new stories in the upcoming Star Wars sequel films since something like Dark Empire or the Thrawn trilogy would merely stand in the way of telling sequel stories in the new movies.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

"This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Dark Horse and it will soon see the end of Timothy Zahn." - Grand Moff Goofy

As I said before, it had to happen. I'm not happy about it but I'm okay with it. If you are making new movies, you are absolutely handcuffed by what was already written. My only concern/request is that they at least keep the current names. Han and Leia had Jaina and Jacen. They don't neccesarily have to be twins going forward, but they absolutely have to be Jaina and Jacen.

Let's face it, there's good SW material (novels and comics) and there's bad SW. For these planned stand-alone movies, there's some good source material that shouldn't be overlooked because it's not canon. I don't want to see that happen.

I think the stable of quality SW authors like Zahn will continue to produce novels unless the authors themselves personally choose not to continue the relationship (like Karen Travis.) And if all else fails, there's fan fiction. : )

In addition to being a huge SW fan, I'm a big James Bond fan. Since the early 1980s, there have been some great Bond novels written, as well as bad ones. And you know what? Not a single one of them have been turned into a movie. And that's a shame, too.

This comes as no surprise at all and I'm actually glad that they are tackling it head on and not doing the whole "hey, let's see how many hoops we can jump through to shoehorn this into the canon… somehow" approach.

I think it's best just to toss out EVERYTHING that has been written about events that take place after the final scene of ROTJ.

I've always considered the 6 movies cannon, EU doesn't really count for much of anything imho. That said I understand the reasoning, although this will get people up in arms, no doubt about it.

I've seen different sources report this news differently, and Chee and Hidalgo have spoken about this, but it's hard to tell what this will mean in practice. I think the main takeaway should be more that the future movies and tie-ins are going to fit together better than they did in the past - we'll have to wait and see which parts of the EU still "count."

Thanks for interpreting the article for your reporting, Ace. That's not what the article said. It did not say it would throw out grand Admiral Thrawn. It did not say that. People ought to click on the real article and read what was said and then read some of the comments left behind. This was not good reporting on this site. But I'm sure someone that likes toys and doesn't read books wanted to criticize to get under others' skins. Congratulations.

Guess what?

No matter the official word, everyone gets to decide Star Wars canon for themselves. That's the beauty of fiction.

So everyone calm down. They're not coming to burn your Splinter of the Mind's Eyes.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Thanks for interpreting the article for your reporting, Ace. That's not what the article said. It did not say it would throw out grand Admiral Thrawn. It did not say that. People ought to click on the real article and read what was said and then read some of the comments left behind. This was not good reporting on this site. But I'm sure someone that likes toys and doesn't read books wanted to criticize to get under others' skins. Congratulations.

My thoughts as well.