Hybrid View

The legacy of the Ewoks

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...evealed-426/2/

This is a (very good) recurring column on Comic Book Resources that proves or disproves urban legends, mostly related to comics, but sometimes going into the broader world of pop culture. This week's second legend (which the link should take you directly to) is pretty jaw-dropping for any child of the 80s. The cute, cuddly teddy bears indirectly led to some of the least cuddly characters of the era.

Also, there's more than a bit of Hasbro bone-headedness worked in there as a bonus. (Don't want to spoil it, but think of how they could've royally ****ed up an entire decade if they got their way.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I thought this was a misplaced thread about the upcoming Ewoks comic trade paperback, Shadows of Endor, due out in October of this year (of which I am interested). Hmm, a company that uses TV shows to promote toys trying to get its way in comic books based on toys... sounds beary fishy to me...
    "That's what Sheev said."

I've been reading CBR's Legends Revealed for a few months, very addictive, but I hadn't seen this one as I've been working my way backwards.

Hasbro really makes dumb choices, but that one would have taken the cake. GI Joe shooting Ewoks though, there could have been some satisfaction there.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Wow. Hasbro's original idea would have been second only to Serpentor on the stupidity scale.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Fun fact: Serpentor was rammed down Hama's throat, like a lot of slightly less stupid ideas (Battleforce 2000? Raptor? Pogo?). The minute the toy went out of production, he became the first major character who had been produced as a toy to die (and a most embarrassing death it was). Later, his corpse was desecrated as a means to explain Firefly's resurrection when Hasbro made a new toy of him despite his having been poisoned (and definitely dead) a year or so earlier.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Fun fact: Serpentor was rammed down Hama's throat, like a lot of slightly less stupid ideas (Battleforce 2000? Raptor? Pogo?). The minute the toy went out of production, he became the first major character who had been produced as a toy to die (and a most embarrassing death it was). Later, his corpse was desecrated as a means to explain Firefly's resurrection when Hasbro made a new toy of him despite his having been poisoned (and definitely dead) a year or so earlier.
    Yeah, I vaguely remember reading that somewhere. Wasn't Raptor the one who got shot dead as soon as he appeared in the comic?

Even as a kid, in 1986, I thought Serpentor was a lame Emperor Palpatine knock-off.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis