Hybrid View

Exclamation Sweden’s review of 7143 Jedi Starfighter!

I know that this has been done before but I thought I’d write down my very own review anyway of this newly released and first LEGO set/toy from the coming Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones just for fun and to share “my” views of it.

The box:

Here in Sweden/Europe the Jedi Starfighter comes in what I call a cornflakes box, a thick cardboard box that opens by pressing down a perforated halfcircle etc, and not as a seal box issue with an inner tray for parts as earlier sets has been released in. It seems that LEGO has gone for these somewhat simplified boxes at least here in Europe and a qualified guess is that it’s done to cut down the cost of packaging a bit but then again I’m not sure and to be honest I like the seal box issues better. The once so famous trade mark of the LEGO logo with the characters from the films are also gone in the European releases that also have just the plain and simple “Star Wars” logo type on top of the box.

The instruction booklet:

Nothing new here but just the same design as with all other sets released earlier but on the interesting side is that the Episode II sets are being shown off except the Republic Gunship that’s only shown off on the backside of the box.

The ship/set itself:

The construction of the ship was straight forward as usual and it was great fun to build the Jedi Starfighter as it is the very first merchandise from Episode II that I’m buying since the action figure and hardware series of toys aren’t available at all here in Sweden.

My view of the Jedi Starfighter:

I don’t really know how accurate the ship is compared to the design in the movie but at least it looks like a Jedi Starfighter and I like the set even if I’m not overwelmed with it but I’ve got to agree with most of the negative feedback it has gotten though.

- Just as JediTricks said the Jedi Starfighter is longer then the X-Wing Fighter and way out of scale as it is supposed to be smaller then the later but then again what’s new with LEGO system set spaceships being out of scale. Sigh.

- Once again as JediTricks said the cockpit fails as the canopy leaves a huge gaping hole and then again the cockpit is way to narrow so that Obi-Wan sits in this come-to-daddy-I-want-a-hugg kind of pose.

- I agree with JediTricks and all you other as well that the wings are way to floppy and that the click-brick parts used in the 7130 Snowspeeder set would have been way better and more stable to use.

- The idea of having a decent landing gear unlike the 7140 X-Wing Fighter set was a very good idea of the LEGO designers but I agree that they are a bit too weak due to the weight of the ship itself.

Having seen the “Hasbro” toy version of the Jedi Starfighter with options of “Attack” mode makes me wish that the LEGO designers had gone for this option as well but then again I guess most people can make their very own custom adjustments of this ship.

I’ll give the ship a total amount of three out of five lightsabers for being an okay set.

Kindest regards,

Lars Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.
    R.J. (John Carpenter's The Thing) MacReady: Crazy Swedes...

Great review, Sweden.
    In your opinion, what could be done to remedy those floppy wings? Is there anything that could make this set a little better. I picked mine up last week and one of the wings came right off. I dont really like that so maybe there is a way to improve it.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Smile Re: Sweden’s review of 7143 Jedi Starfighter!

Thank you JF96, but JT amongst others did some great reviews as well and before me and I was just so bored that I wrote mine to contribute a little to get some discussions going but if you like it I’m glad to hear so buddy. My opinion to improve the set? Well...

I used to build and collect LEGO sets during the second half of the seventhies, but even if I still got them all saved in my book shelf I didn’t have so many sets at all, but in the begining of the eighties I stopped doing so for several reasons. It wasn’t until 1999 when LEGO released their Star Wars line that I picked up my old hobby and started to collect and build these much talked about bricks and so I’ve done until today. The thing is that I build the sets and put them on my book shelf for display to never ever been taken apart as I want to keep them that way and therefore I’m not doing custom models or improving sets. I mean... I ain’t got parts for improving the available sets and I ain’t got parts to make custom models as I can’t afford to spend more money on LEGO then I already do unfortunately. So I can’t really tell you how to improve the set but I believe that the suggestions made by JT amongst others is a good way to make the wings more stable so follow their advice my friend.

However... I’ve been making drawings and blueprints for a much better display stand for the “Rebel Blockade Runner” but I got several designs to chose from and then again I’ve got to wait until I get parts to do it with before I make it official. I’ve also been making drawings and blueprints on how to improve the “Rebel Blockade Runner” but the case is same here but I’m planing on doing a website for this little project but that’s something that’s going to be done in the future and I really hope that I’ll eventually get it done.

Kindest regards,

Lars Olsson in Sundsvall, Sweden.
    R.J. (John Carpenter's The Thing) MacReady: Crazy Swedes...

Sweden,
    I do enjoy the reviews that everyone writes here.
    You are right about the wings on that Starfighter, because it is better not to mess with them. I guess as long as I am not picking the set up alot or moving it around it will be OK.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester

I haven't had trouble keeping the wings on mine, but they are floppy. I suppose you could attach a 1x4 plate between the hinge plate and the 1x4 black plate ahead of the hinge plate or the 2x4 dark gray plate behind the hinge plate (which you should turn sideways to accept the engines anyway).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks alot JediTricks!!
    I will definately try that and let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again!!