Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
    Anyway, I really like the paint job on this one but I just don't have the room for it. If it had the full doors like the crumb bomber version I might have had to make the room for it.
    I've seen this comment from other people, and I find it interesting since the longer doors don't appear anywhere but The Clone Wars - and the doors on the Crumb Bomber were inaccurate anyway since they should have been two parts, one to open from the front and one from the back. I'm all for more TCW gunships (Plo's Bros and Bad Kitty would have been awesome), but this one works well for a simple AOTC version.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Technically this is a unique paint job. It's not as obvious a difference as new nose art - though it does appear to at least include nose art of a battle droid in the crosshairs (and I can't tell if it's a sticker or part of the deco), but it's not identical to previous versions.
    Yeah, I noticed the battle droid nose art after I posted my comment. Now I am on the fence on this one. Other than Force and Ultimate FX sabers and the occasional rando figure, I pretty much stopped collecting stuff a few years ago. I think my last Hasbro purchase was a Clone Wars Y Wing and for Christmas that year, I got the EP II Slave I set. I didn't even bother with the Republic Attack Shuttle. It was one that I wanted Hasbro to make years ago, but I ran out of room and interest before it became a reality. I even saw it on clearance at a Fred Meyer for $20 or $25 but I still walked away.

    Now that I see the nose art, I am on the fence about this new Republic gunship. I like the unique nose art, but I have *WAY* too much already and I only have 2 nephews and they already have tons of stuff as it is, so unless I can liquidate some of it (heck, for the right price, I would pack it up and dleiver it across town myself...), I may have to pass.
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I've seen this comment from other people, and I find it interesting since the longer doors don't appear anywhere but The Clone Wars - and the doors on the Crumb Bomber were inaccurate anyway since they should have been two parts, one to open from the front and one from the back. I'm all for more TCW gunships (Plo's Bros and Bad Kitty would have been awesome), but this one works well for a simple AOTC version.
    Granted, the long doors weren't completely accurate for what we see on the show but there's only so much you can do without changing the mold. The main reason I'd like to see the long doors again is to add some additional variety to the fleet of gunships that I've accumulated over the years. Nose art and color schemes only go so far. When you have a bit of differentiation in the style of the ship's body it makes the fleet look more complete. I also don't feel the need to fully populate the inside of the ship with clones when the doors are all closed.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
    Granted, the long doors weren't completely accurate for what we see on the show but there's only so much you can do without changing the mold. The main reason I'd like to see the long doors again is to add some additional variety to the fleet of gunships that I've accumulated over the years. Nose art and color schemes only go so far. When you have a bit of differentiation in the style of the ship's body it makes the fleet look more complete. I also don't feel the need to fully populate the inside of the ship with clones when the doors are all closed.
    I also liked the look of the long doors (screen accurate or not). And that's a good point about not having to populate the insides with the doors closed. That's how I felt about the tinted plastic on the cockpit, as well.
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

  5. #15
    I just saw that the MSRP on it is $119.99 - I will definitely not be buying this one. If I recall correctly, the original gunship was ~$30. I think the price when I bought the Lucky Lekku was ~$50. I know there's been a couple of minor changes to the mold and that inflation happens, but holy smokes!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
    I just saw that the MSRP on it is $119.99 - I will definitely not be buying this one. If I recall correctly, the original gunship was ~$30. I think the price when I bought the Lucky Lekku was ~$50. I know there's been a couple of minor changes to the mold and that inflation happens, but holy smokes!
    Let's compare with the previous versions:

    2002, "Saga" - $40
    2003, Clone Wars - Command Gunship - $30
    2005, Revenge of the Sith - $30
    2006, The Saga Collection - Clone Wars micro-series (Toys R Us exclusive) - $45
    2008, The Clone Wars - Lucky Lekku (Walmart exclusive) - $50
    2009, The Clone Wars - Crumb Bomber (Toys R Us exclusive) - $70
    2013, The Vintage Collection - Toys R Us exclusive - $120

    The 2009 ship was the first to include changes aside from paint, introducing the longer doors, doors for the forward opening, and spin-out rocket launchers on top. The 2009 Geonosis Assault battle pack included one gunner pod and two Clone Pilot figures for $22, so two of them would be $44. The 2013 TVC ship ignores the 2009 version and goes back to the original version of the ship, for the first time adding three pack-in figures and two gunner pods. Everyone already has the 2002 Yoda and Clone Pilot and 2003 Clone Trooper, so while they're preferable to the Saga Legends style of figures, they're certainly not exciting and they weren't worth more than $5-$7 when they were first released. So if $44 got you two pods and four figures, and here the ship is adding two pods and three figures, it wouldn't bring it up more than $40; then again, these figures are equal to or better than the Movie Heroes line from last year, in which figures were $10. TRU and/or Hasbro probably saw that their last gunship was $70, this new one was adding at least $40 worth of stuff, and hell, might as well jack it up a little more.

    TRU runs sales all the time and often mark down things like this, so it's very likely it will be available for less than $120. Even if that's not the case, the starting point is way too high.

    Anyway, remember the days when reissuing items meant they would be cheaper? Sigh...

  7. #17

  8. #18
    At $120.00, I am no longer on the fence. Totally not going to get it.

  9. #19

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO