Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have seen none of wave 2 in stores. Mainly R2 and Luke warm the shelves (no pegs for these'ns).
    "That's what Sheev said."

Seeing slave Leia and Greedo on the shelves/pegs in the last week. Seen Han a couple of time, but still no Mr. Fett.

Also noticed that some of the stores have restocked the first wave of the 3 3/4-inch BS figs.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47151 View Post
    Also noticed that some of the stores have restocked the first wave of the 3 3/4-inch BS figs.
    I've noticed that as well. I've been seeing some figures with newer variations - lighter hair for Anakin and a darker midsection for the Biker Scout. And they actually seem to be staying on the cards...so far. But I wonder if it's new shipments of wave 1 or remnants of wave 2, since six of the slow movers from the first wave are carried forward (sadly).
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

A few stores put out Wave 2 here. Leia, Han, and Greedo are all pegwarming with a vengeance, particularly Leia. I have yet to see a Leia with paint I'd consider decent enough for a dollar store figure, and I'm absolutely serious. I showed one to my wife at Target yesterday and she thought it was some EU character in the slave outfit because it looked so little like Leia.

Something did occur to me, though. This is a line geared toward collectors and, so far, unless you want to quibble over the Sandtrooper/Stormtrooper thing, there are no repeated characters and no plans to repeat characters. Of the characters with lots of costume changes, we get ROTS Obi-Wan, ANH Han, ANH Pilot Luke... and Princess Leia in the bikini. Seems an odd choice. Does that speak more for Hasbro being sexist, or for them thinking we're sexist?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Outside of Fett, Han, and the Stormtrooper, I've thought all of the selections have been odd. You do have an excellent point about the Leia though... It seems to me, that if you wanted to do Slave Leia, you would wait until they "perfected" the 6" figure considering the delicacy of a partially nude figure. As for your sexist comment, I would vote for both.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Found a Slave Leia pretty early on, good paint, so I bought it. Overall, the figure is better than I thought. The likeness is spot on except actually a little healthier than Carrie Fisher looked in ROTJ (she lost a lot of weight for the costume and it made her face slender in the film, the figure's head isn't so hollow at the cheeks), the expression is neutral in a way that lets it look slightly determined or hopeful or sad depending on the angle and pose used. It's not good for big action expression of course, but I'll take neutral over teeth-gnashing "grrr!!!" for versatility. The head is cast in brown for the hair and then the face is painted, and it looks better than the shiny plastic face on Han. The hair has painted highlights and gold elements.

The body has a fairly good likeness from the waist up even though the sculpting is soft in detail, but below the waist the technical issues catch up things so that the hips are simply too wide and the thighs too big for the character. The body posture is weird on this figure because the neck is tilted forward permanently at its base and the mid-torso joint doesn't bend back past neutral upright at all, so it can strike normal poses but you're always fighting a sense of an osteoporosis look creeping into your poses. The sculptor must have intended this as the balance point is slightly forward, making you compensate ever so much with tiny adjustments to the hips and ankles.

The hips are so very wide and for no reason at all, the figure is teeny tiny compared to Han but is still a 6-inch-scale figure, there was simply no excuse for using such a large hip design, they shouldn't have even considered using their ridiculous buck design with its broad T-bar crotch when they started sculpting this figure. The hips aren't anatomically impossible, but they're birthing hips where Carrie Fisher's were fairly narrow in the film. The hip joints are also bulbous standing straight up which looks very wrong, they flow better when tilted out to the sides. The thighs are a bit thicker than they should be, and the mid-thigh articulation cut makes everything much worse.

The articulation looks like articulation, the upper body is not too bad for an exposed-body figure, with the worst visual offender being the slight gap at the top of the shoulders. The lower body hips gap a little and just don't flow well as mentioned before. The mid-thigh articulation looks bad at all times and utterly awful when used. The knees are double-hinged to a separate kneecap part, the hinge pins are the only element I don't think the figure gets away with here though, knees are generally knobby anyway and Leia was a bit knock-kneed in this costume. The ankle articulation is oddly not the line-standard, going to a more traditional hinge and single-rotation-at-the-ankle design which means she can turn and pivot her shoes, but not roll them - I find the lack of that lateral rolling a tad frustrating as it keeps her feet from being flat on the ground in most poses.

Her collar is removable by way of her head, and molded with that is a chain that goes down to her midsection. The chain is rubbery plastic painted silver with half its holes knocked through, it looks a bit chintzy and along with her rubbery hair doesn't hang quite naturally. The bra and arm jewlery are sculpted and painted, while the bottoms are a separate plastic piece that's lighter in color and has fabric glued under. The fabric scales very poorly, it's cut too narrow and it's stiff and very flat so it moves badly, and it's got hanging threads that suggest it will not age well.

Leia comes with a vibro-axe and the pike/rifle she swung around the deck of the sail barge. The vibro-axe is her heightand has a painted silver blade, it looks good in her hands. The rifle/pike is cast in rusty red plastic and is heavily spattered in silver. The pike's sculpting is only so-so, the larger end looks like it was scaled up from the 3.75" accessory, and it's missing the midsection pipe. The pike's bigger problem is that it's silvery red instead of black with light rust the way the prop was. But it's not terrible, just not great either.

Overall, I like this figure, but it does have some issues. It can do a decent legs-apart standing pose, it can do a few good action poses, and while I don't have scale pillows it does actually look pretty accurate in the "sitting next to Jabba" pose (although the limited range of motion in the mid-torso joint holds it back in the more reclined version of that pose). And of course, it's really REALLY short.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    From what I can see, in terms of the likeness, Han's eyes seem to be a bit too close together; but that could just be an illusion created by paint apps. However, the eyebrows seem to be the biggest problem: they are too thick, too arched, and too high on his forehead.

As it is, the figure definitely feels like a much more "glammed up" version of Han Solo, when he really needs to look more rugged and scruffy.
    I just compared a straight-on photo of Harrison Ford with the figure, the eyes aligned perfectly but the bridge of the nose is too narrow. Also, the nose on the figure is too big and the mouth is too low. The mouth and the eyes are also the wrong shape, the ears are too high. The eyebrows are painted too wide and sculpted too heavy and too close-together, and I'd say you're right about them being too high considering they're being drawn down in the sculpt. The chin is more bulbous and the jawline more sharp, all of which leads to a caricature or cartoon feel. Oddly, the figure's close-up shows it has more lines than Ford.

Oh, and the blue eyes aren't as offensive as first thought because Ford's eyes are hazel with blueish tint, so they go from blue/green to brown.

I find the figure pretty rugged and scruffy, funny how perceptions like this can differ.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    A few stores put out Wave 2 here. Leia, Han, and Greedo are all pegwarming with a vengeance, particularly Leia. I have yet to see a Leia with paint I'd consider decent enough for a dollar store figure, and I'm absolutely serious. I showed one to my wife at Target yesterday and she thought it was some EU character in the slave outfit because it looked so little like Leia.

Something did occur to me, though. This is a line geared toward collectors and, so far, unless you want to quibble over the Sandtrooper/Stormtrooper thing, there are no repeated characters and no plans to repeat characters. Of the characters with lots of costume changes, we get ROTS Obi-Wan, ANH Han, ANH Pilot Luke... and Princess Leia in the bikini. Seems an odd choice. Does that speak more for Hasbro being sexist, or for them thinking we're sexist?
    What a weird take on Slave Leia, I'd say the sculpt is bang-on and the paint on mine is pretty good, first one I saw was solid so I bought it.

There is another repeat coming up, Luke Bespin. But it is odd to fire off Slave Leia so early in the game. I think the intent is to "give collectors what they would want" because in the past Slave Leia has sold hotly compared to other Leia figures. I would have liked a solid ANH Leia or Leia Boushh over this one, but this isn't that bad a choice - it's a visual stand-out, she chokes out Jabba in this outfit, she controls a deck cannon, and she beats people up with a pike/rifle thing before swinging to safety.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by liar Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I have seen none of wave 2 in stores. Mainly R2 and Luke warm the shelves (no pegs for these'ns).
    I have now seen two wave 2 figs: Greedo & Han. They weren't on sale. I passed.

Toys'R'Us has a buy one get one for half price sale on Star Wars figures this week.

I saw that in the ad... now, will they get new figures in stock to buy? That is the $19.99 question.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Outside of Fett, Han, and the Stormtrooper, I've thought all of the selections have been odd.
    I agree. Hasbro is all over the board with this series. It would be logical with it being the 30th anniversary of ROTJ to have a few Jedi characters, or maybe one figure from each of the six movies. But there's been a strong focus on ANH. Nothing against Greedo, but there are several other characters I'd prefer to see released before Greedo. Like Obi-Wan.

I'm being selective in purchasing this series. I've only bought Han, and I'm looking for Fett. I might pick up Maul if I can find him at a reasonable price.