NYCC14 Hasbro party Q&A

JabbaJohn got to interview Hasbro's man on the scene for Star Wars, Senior Global Brand Marketing Manager for Hasbro Star Wars, Joe Ninivaggi...

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/1...-joe-ninivaggi

If you're wondering who Mr Ninivaggi is, he has been with Hasbro on Star Wars for 2 years, and before that he worked at BBDO advertising agency handling GE for a year, Young & Rubicam marketing handling Colgate for a year, Saatchi & Saatchi advertising for General Mills for 3 years, and a few more like that. I don't believe I've ever met him before or seen his name at any prior convention coverage.

Now, onto my personal comments...

So um... how does he know the TRU program has done really well? It's barely hit and doesn't seem to be a barnburner at stores yet, yeah TRU has ordered the exclusives in decent numbers but shouldn't follow-through be important too? TRU has been getting too many exclusives the last few years that aren't selling great, they eventually are going to balk at this the way Target did in the '90s.

Seems like Hasbro was overly hands-off with this product launch, that's a very casual answer to why product missed the launch window from the series - Jakks Pacific had it locked down to the week, and they're JAKKS! Hell, Jazwares and lesser releases got the launch right, but not #3 toy manufacturer Hasbro? I hope that shrug of an answer isn't how it is being dealt with behind the scenes in Rhode Island.

On Vader, the neck isn't too high, that's an odd answer, the ball joint is too small or the receiver cup is not engineered to squeeze around it enough. I wonder what that fix will look like, at least they know it's a problem, better than I'd expect.

Huh, he seemed really specific on the Vader's shoulder armor being tooling, that doesn't make a lick of sense though - no other figure has ever had random squared gaps in their shoulders before.

Sorry Han, casual Fridays at the Yavin temple for you.

Hasbro has some nerve claiming a price issue on non-removable helmets for 6"ers, they're using existing tooling with modifications, and they did removable helmets on Luke and Han Stormtrooper, stop trying to clown us.

Who at Hasbro went into that and didn't plan extra helmets in the initial tooling budget? Did they plan for the line to tank and didn't want to budget anything other than standard grunt phase 1 and 2? Otherwise that'd be printing money, easier than cutting another channel into the tool later.

Yeah, never gonna see that Stormtrooper get any backpack accessories.

Seriously? You notice Vader's head come off but not Anakin's giraffe heads? Yeah, it's a mistake, how about, um... fix it?

The change of box design internally is interesting on Chewie, I look forward to seeing what was achieved.

I'm glad they finally have been made aware about Scout Troopers having their helmets warped, surprised they hadn't noticed this before. I feel like the current brand team is a little overboard in how much they think some figure segments actually need to be locked down, we've had similar situations in the past where they were fine without that.

I can't believe they backslid on the brown coat/blue coat thing AFTER the actual coat was shown and it was brown. This is the problem with changing brand management too often.

Ah yes, the standard "yeah, Obi-Wan's pegwarming a little, but we think he could stand to pegwarm more so we're not changing things" type of answer.

The only 6" Artoo repaint I'd consider getting is R5-D4, I think. And even then, I kinda doubt it, that mold is underwhelming in person.

Oh, and speaking of R2 underwhelming, this scale answer is different from the one Jeff gave on the matter, and the figure is for sure under-scaled. You guys make mistakes all the time that LFL lets through.

Vintage, I really think it's time to rest it as well.

Kmart, good exclusives, kind of hard to want to find them. And they're out again for this fall.

The new torso on 6" Luke Trooper, I hope those are new thighs as well - they look like it, but that figure looks a bit dumpy compared to the movie version, I guess we'll get a better look at a further-along version in February.

3PO, why? Ugh, that figure is proof LFL doesn't catch scale issues. Oh boy, a silver leg on the worst-looking thing they did.

That's good about Han having knee articulation, good catch.

I guarantee you we'll be seeing giant Jawas on that answer.

Seriously, you don't know if the character's signature weapon - a weapon you ALREADY HAVE IN YOUR TOOLING LIBRARY - will be included? It's a single tampo.

Really, permanent detonator in her hand? IOt's like they're trying to kill collectors with this stuff, the '06 version had a removable one.

No removable helmets, that sucks. That was one of my favorite things about Star Wars figures back when I was a kid. Luke gets a removable helmet (their press photo has it off), why not at least Lando? He's a character reveal, after all. Sabine should have a swappable head since she spends a lot of time not wearing her helmet.

Well, that was... a thing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I looked at all the stuff coming out of NYCC and thought, "Ooh, Mosep! If I can find him and he doesn't turn out to be a disappointment, I might be spending ten bucks on Star Wars next year!" Then again, he's an example of the excitement of the character finally being made tempered with the "they're going to have to get around to him sometime."

Only two things Hasbro-related actually excited me, and both were from IDW: Snake Eyes, Agent of Cobra; and the revelation that, unless someone slipped up, Defensor will be involved in the Combiner Wars, which should be extremely interesting given that at least part of him isn't on Cybertron.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yeah, this was a lot of product but very little is in my wheelhouse. Leia Boushh and Han Carbonite, and both of them seem like they have issues that may be deal killers.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ninivaggi's comments are pushing one of my feet out of the Hasbro door more than anything else.

Permanently fixed detonator on Leia Boussh? Are you kidding me?

Mosep is not my first choice for Cantina Aliens but I will be buying several.

I think that's ALL I will be buying. Don't need the other character offerings.

I fear Mosep is so boring, he'll be a pegwarmer if they put him into regular quantity production.

The Defel would be one cantina alien choice that might be better.

The Ranat (Reegesk) definitely would have been.

Mosep uses Zutton's costume (Zutton was in the Holiday Special, and maybe not the movie, which had Takeel for SnaggleToothe).

I think....

But we've seen the outfit before so I'm wondering if Hasbro used the same tools?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Ninivaggi's comments are pushing one of my feet out of the Hasbro door more than anything else.

Permanently fixed detonator on Leia Boussh? Are you kidding me?
    I hear ya, I'm kinda in the same boat, this at best didn't help my interest any, it feels like Hasbro is asleep at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Mosep is not my first choice for Cantina Aliens but I will be buying several.

I think that's ALL I will be buying. Don't need the other character offerings.

I fear Mosep is so boring, he'll be a pegwarmer if they put him into regular quantity production.

The Defel would be one cantina alien choice that might be better.

The Ranat (Reegesk) definitely would have been.

Mosep uses Zutton's costume (Zutton was in the Holiday Special, and maybe not the movie, which had Takeel for SnaggleToothe).

I think....

But we've seen the outfit before so I'm wondering if Hasbro used the same tools?
    Mosep's costume is a red Imperial Officer/Navy Commando uniform with modifications, and it appears that they went with a new tooling on the figure, I'm looking at the Hasbro hi-res image up close and the figure uses unique arms with no pouches for encoders and no emblems, unique gloves, a unique "skirt" for the change in the belt, a unique torso to accommodate his larger neck, and unique lower legs that use the most modern foot design (the same one seen on 6" figures). So if it's recycled at all, it'd be just puffy pants upper legs and crotch from Tarkin or the AT-AT Commander, which I doubt they'd bother with.

I personally don't care at all about Mosep, never have, he's always felt like a lesser cantina alien to me, and I won't be dropping $10 on him.

I agree with you JT, except that I'll be buying him because I want almost every background figure in the films.

Mosep's just not one I'm excited about. But may buy multiples of (at least more than the 1 or 2 figures of Yarna I bought).

But where is my Nyrat Agira figure? And other ladies of Club Outlander?

Oh - I am serious and would buy the girls.

But anyway, in the Expanded Universe, red Imperial uniforms denote Imperial Intelligence uniforms (as do white ones like Yularen's in the movie).

On a planet like Tatooine, the Empire might recruit aliens for intelligence operations. Look at Garrindan for another example.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.