Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Article: SSG's Hasbro Star Wars Interview at SDCC 2013

Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks for doing the interview!

Interesting that they see the $20 Class II as the replacement for the $20 Class I. I quite liked the line - either with one figure or two - so it's too bad they won't be continuing it.

The Clone Wars answer is a bit of a letdown. But at least they ARE working on Rebels stuff in some capacity, so that's good news.

It's good to have an answer on Mara Jade, even if it isn't necessarily what most people would like it to be.

At least they're open to the idea of re-releasing the non-US figures. I guess I'll have to start bugging them about Boba's backpack.

While it's good that the 6" line doesn't share a budget with the 3 3/4" line, I find it interesting that they'll be looking at these lines to gauge fan interest. The Black Series basic figures so far aren't the most enticing choices to long-time collectors, and there are still issues to work out (like distribution) that don't have anything to do with fan interest. So I really, really hope they show wave 3 of the 3 3/4" line this weekend at CEII and knock it out of the park.

The big vehicle answer is actually very strong.

Interesting that they didn't alter the line after the 3D releases were cancelled. It seems that the loss of Droid Factory caused more issues than anything else this year.

Also very interesting that they're so receptive to the idea of integrating more Teleopods-esque features in the future. Often when Derryl says "great question," you're onto something they've been planning or at least discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Thanks for doing the interview!
    You're quite welcome.

Seems odd that they're so ready to shove TCW off a cliff already.

I was disappointed on that Mara answer, what's the point of giving a specific outfitted character a win if it's going to be superseded?

Also very interesting that they're so receptive to the idea of integrating more Teleopods-esque features in the future. Often when Derryl says "great question," you're onto something they've been planning or at least discussing.
    At an earlier point in the show, I suggested the idea to him and he gave me the knowing laugh and "what an interesting idea" type of sound, so I think we may have hit it on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Good interview! Thank you JT.
    You are super welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Doesn't the future of the lines still depend on distribution? It's been a year and a half since the Phantom Menace vintage line came out and I still haven't found any line since. Star Wars racks at all my stores have been empty for at least 6 months.
    Sort of yes and sort of no. The current line's health will depend on recognition which will be affected by distribution, but if they're just biding time until we get to entertainment then the entertainment really will take on that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    No 6" Series questions? Disappointing.
    I asked readers for 5 months what questions they'd like me to ask, and that line wasn't really among them. You could have posted some and I probably would have asked them, but I am not feeling this line personally so I didn't think of any questions on my own to ask - I had a very small window of time to get an interview done, there weren't any questions off the top of my head, they were all prepared by the readers.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Doesn't the future of the lines still depend on distribution? It's been a year and a half since the Phantom Menace vintage line came out and I still haven't found any line since. Star Wars racks at all my stores have been empty for at least 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    The Black Series, Saga Legends, etc. should be a new start for distribution. They're starting to hit now, so we'll see how this goes.

No 6" Series questions? Disappointing.
    There's been a thread up since January. That's on you, bub.

I can't force JediTricks to ask about things he clearly doesn't care about.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I can't force JediTricks to ask about things he clearly doesn't care about.
    That's BS, I asked questions the readers posted regardless of my interest level in them. There wasn't a compelling 6" question in the list beyond the one I asked about cannibalizing from the line, had there been I probably would have asked it. You don't need to "force" me to ask them, all you have to do is participate - it says here you've posted in that thread over the last half a year... zero times.

Quote Originally Posted by JabbaJohn View Post
    The Black Series, Saga Legends, etc. should be a new start for distribution. They're starting to hit now, so we'll see how this goes.
    At Target, TBS comes up under the TVC entry, the SKU in their system is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    There wasn't a compelling 6" question in the list beyond the one I asked about cannibalizing from the line, had there been I probably would have asked it.
    That was an important question IMO, as it gives better insight into the possible future of the line. It seems to me that Hasbro has the resources dedicated to the line with possibility to expand IF people get behind it. They seem cautiously optimistic, but it's impossible to know what the future will bring. If these things hang around warming pegs there isn't going to be much of a future. If they sell and don't cannibalize the 3.75 inch line then we could see some great stuff.

My HOPE is that they keep it limited. A flood of these at $20 a pop will not bode well. I'd like to see maybe a dozen to a dozen and a half figures a year, plus maybe one or two vehicles.

Also they need to stick to the core characters. Though personally I'd like to see all of the Imperial bad guys and Bounty Hunters I expect that is asking too much. I don't suppose too many people besides me want to see AT-AT Drivers and TIE Pilots and Death Star Trooper in 6 inches, but it would put a HUGE grin on my face.

I left the 3.75 inch line a long time ago, mostly because I refuse to put down $10 a figure for the short guys, especially when they put out so many every year.

I am willing to put down $20 a figure for larger scale figures especially if they only put out 4 waves of 4 figures a year.
    May the force be with you.