Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Super7's Alien "ReAction" line of classic Kenner-style Alien figures

I have been keeping an eye on this brilliant idea from boutique urban vinyl pop culture company Super7 since I heard about it last year, and the production pieces were shown off at SDCC this year, which I got the honor to photograph:
    http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6759-alien-reaction.html

The idea comes from the canceled 3.75" Alien movie line, whose prototypes were shown at Toy Fair in 1979 and then lost to time, but through brilliant detective work and dedication to creating new product that was true to the 1970s Star Wars and Alien action figure styling, Super7 has brought 5 figures inspired by that line out as a new line that goes beautifully with classic Kenner Star Wars figures, right down to the size of the foot-pegholes and stands.

Super7 isn't one of the big boys, yet their SDCC-exclusive "discovered salesman sample" unpainted Alien and Kane 2-pack had so much demand that the fire marshal shut down their line on PREVIEW NIGHT twice, and they ran out of the exclusive before the first true day of the con. So Super7 has really made a splash with this series, and it looks like they'll be doing Aliens figures as well. Check it out, I think there's some SW crossover appeal.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I found the Alien figure at a Slackers yesterday and picked it up. I'm extremely impressed with it and it looks right at home next to vintage Star Wars and the 5-POA Saga Legends figures.

I'll probably buy the rest of the figures in the line and I can't wait to see how their Aliens figures turn out.

It looks like they have some major plans to expand this idea to other franchises, including classic Star Trek figures:
    http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/r...otti-of-funko/

What's "Slackers"? Super7 made sure the style fit the Kenner Vintage line and the Kenner Alien prototypes very well, I'm glad to hear you feel it's paid off as intended, that's worthy praise considering the source.

I still can't believe Super7 and Funko merged to turn this idea into a running thing. I can't wait to see if it'll work, and if Funko's influence into Super7 will change things.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I won't be getting any of the Alien ones, but I'm really interested in seeing their other lines. Nightmare Before Christmas, Terminator, and Universal Monsters sound the coolest to me ah, I wonder if this company will finally bring us our long-promised modern Pee-wee Herman figures?!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    What's "Slackers"? Super7 made sure the style fit the Kenner Vintage line and the Kenner Alien prototypes very well, I'm glad to hear you feel it's paid off as intended, that's worthy praise considering the source.

I still can't believe Super7 and Funko merged to turn this idea into a running thing. I can't wait to see if it'll work, and if Funko's influence into Super7 will change things.
    I guess Slackers only exists in Illinois and Missouri, but they buy/sell new and used video games, movies, music, comic books, and action figures. It's kind of like a Gamestop, Suncoast, and a local comic books store all rolled into one.

Anyways, I am pretty excited about what's coming and a little apprehensive as well. Because it's one thing to produce a lost line of action figures from 1979, that were actually sculpted in 1979, than to try to mimic the 1979 "sculpting style." Because the person(s) who sculpted those Alien action figures wasn't sculpting 1979 action figures, they were sculpting modern action figures. Any "style" that is common between the figures of those days is purely a result of technological limitations.

Also, with everything that's been announced so far, I worry that it might be too much, too soon and it's going to burn itself out before it really gets started. I want this 5-POA "Kenner-esque" movement to be something that lasts for a while and not just some flash-in-the-pan, here-today-gone-tomorrow action figure trend.

Keep in mind, Super 7 sculpted every inch of those Alien figures, they had pictures and I think some prototype pieces from a couple incomplete figures, but the sculpting really is all them, and I suspect they'll do just as well on the others. That said, I don't know that I'd want '80s movie characters in '70s figure stylings, so there's a lot of different facets to all this, and you make a good point that this could get overloaded fast with this Funko move.

Maybe we should turn this into a ReAction thread. Since we have news and pics of upcoming lines.

http://q.entertainmentearth.com/?l=vqw5j4

The sense of Nostalgia wafting off of these is amazing. Lotsa good stuff a coming.

Plenty of pics of NBX, Terminator, Predator, and Escape From New York. And news on even more.

The Rocketeer figure is particularly awesome sauce. Get these guys on Black Hole.

Edit: The Predator figures seem to be missing on EE's site. But you can see them on Toyark's.

http://news.toyark.com/2014/02/07/fi...60#more-113360
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

The NBX line looks pretty sweet. I didn't realize that NECA's line was so robust and full of weird choices, and I never got any of the 1993 Hasbro ones (I don't think I even saw the movie until it hit video). But I'm a sucker for the 3 3/4" scale, so I'll likely get most of these. Jack looks weird, but I guess that's to be expected with such a skinny character. I wonder if they'll expand the line beyond what's shown here.

The Terminator likenesses aren't great - of course I get that they're retro-styled and that's how figures looked back in the day, but still.

I hope all these do well so they can get into lots of new properties!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

The Rocketeer is the only one that works, IMO. The Terminator ones generally fail to impress, and just look dull. That is what was what held back a lot of toys in the day, they're just people, Sarah Conner there doesn't look like anything. The $10 pricetag will help immensely, but these feel like they're exactly what BB said they'd be.

FIREFLY!! FIREFLY!! OMIGOD!!! AND GOONIES!!!

I need a change of pants.
    Tommy, close your eyes.