Hybrid View

Nobody says "May the Force be with you" anymore

I just realized that I haven't heard "May the Force be with you" or seen a MTFBWY in text in a really long time. Back before the prequels had run their course, it was a pretty common catchphrase of the SW faithful, and was a pop culture element as well. Heck, "Star Wars Day" May the 4th has become a semi-popular meme and yet this year's I didn't see much actual reference to the phrase.

So what's different? Is it due to the limited use in the Prequels, where it's only used by the Jedi a few times? Is it just fading away naturally? Is the OT itself being overshadowed by all the prequels and cartoons and video games?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I think it was all those catch phrases from the Prequels that drowned it out, like:
    "Yippee!"
    "All of them."
    "Roger, roger."
    "Exsqueeze me?"
    "Now this is podracing!"
    "Very grumpy."
    "I'm just a simple man making my way in the galaxy."
    "I don't think so."
    "I call it aggressive negotiations."
    "You're breaking my heart!"
    "I hate you!"
    "Noooooooooo!"

That's all I was saying from 1999-2005.

Seriously, I do think the effects were the "memorable" parts, not the dialogue. Even an iconic phrase like MTFBWY. I fear the Disney Trilogy may go that route, too.
    "That's what Sheev said."

You forgot: "Icky, icky, goo." I still find myself saying that when the situation warrants.

I remember in 1987 we had a substitute English teacher who wrote "Metaphors be with you," on the chalkboard hoping to score some cool points, but Star Wars was soooo 1984 by then and the kids in my class weren't impressed in the slightest. I thought it was pretty cool myself, but I got bullied enough as it was, so I wasn't going to speak up.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

No no no no no....the worst was "meesa"!
    May the force be with you.

It goes back to when a crazed gunman dressed as Obi-Wan (with a chicken mask, because he was crazy) shot up a day care and then blew up a bomb in a crowded hospital, killing hundreds, all the while yelling, "May the Force be with you, mutha****as!!!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I say MTFBWY on May 4th if that counts for anything. I think a thing to remember is is that ROTS came out 8 years ago, and its been almost 40 years since the first. Things get old.