Page 1 of 144 123451151101 ... LastLast

Superman, Batman & other DC Figures

On Friday, by sheer luck, I found 2 of the new Mattel DC Superheroes Superman figures. I picked up 1 and passed on the other due to paint issues. What's funny to me is that, while I've owned very few comics compared to most folks I know, the comic that this figure comes with is one I actually bought when it came out (and it's still a lie, no secrets are revealed that I can tell).

Superman is damn near the perfect Supes figure. The articulation is a little loose in a few areas, and more range out of the elbows and neck articulation would have been much appreciated, but they did so much with what they had. The first and foremost thing I wanted was a pair of decent flying poses: 2-armed and 1-armed. The figure pulls off the 1-armed so very well with his left side, the right looks like he's turning which is good but a bit specific, but that left side version is quite acceptable. The 2-armed version is good, the hips don't let the legs come together quite as much and without his torso turned his head isn't looking up as much, but it still is decent. Other poses are good and fine as well, I haven't even dreamed up what all this guy can really do. The sculpting is damn good, the face is mature without being old, serious without being constipated, concerned without being psychotic, and chisled without being cartoonish. The use of closed fists is the right touch, Supes doesn't hold much stuff, he hits stuff and flies and lifts stuff, so closed fists can do 2 out of 3 of those important poses. A rubbery, S-free cape wasn't my first choice but it looks good and dynamic without being insane, doesn't move much but does cover a lot of needs. The paint is admittedly the weakest point, it's just not even, one hip is brighter red than the rest of the red on the figure (both figures had that), and the S-shield logo could be crisper, and the hairline has a few border issues, but overall it's acceptable and that's fine by me.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I just got an opener of the figure and definitely agree- it's awesome. I really wish they had included the Daily Planet stand to go with him though so he could be in a flying pose, but it's not so bad. The only other thing I don't like is the rubbery head, I feel like I'm going to rip it off everytime I move his head.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Out of the 4 latest DC Superheroes, I've still yet to see a Superman with really decent paint. You're right, the hairline has been off on all of them that I've seen, and other parts like the belt are a bit messy also. A shame too, because it's such a cool figure otherwise.
    plasticfetish.net

Ive got them all.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker
    I really wish they had included the Daily Planet stand to go with him though so he could be in a flying pose, but it's not so bad.
    Definitely agree there, or even a clear stand that's jointed and wall-mountable.

The only other thing I don't like is the rubbery head, I feel like I'm going to rip it off everytime I move his head.
    Not sure I know what you mean, the head joint is a little loose though. I tried to remove the head from the ball joint, got it half way off but it was tough and I didn't feel like fighting it all the way off, I learned what I needed to anyway (it's not a double-ball joint the way the Superman Returns figures are).

Quote Originally Posted by PF
    and other parts like the belt are a bit messy also. A shame too, because it's such a cool figure otherwise.
    The belt on mine is ok, but the plastic around the shoulder joints and torso hinge has very slight stress marks. Still, this is mass-market Mattel product, so I totally forgive the little stuff like that until it becomes too much to overlook.

I'm not surprised you have all 4 J&H, you being the resident Super-fan. I've yet to see any of the others. I was thinking about getting Doomsday to beat the snot out of my Superman Returns figures, it's too small of scale for this DC-SH version but might look badass against SR's Clark-to-Supes figure. Superman is far and away the figure I was most looking forward to in this line though, the previous version in their Batman line wasn't done very well at all, and I get the feeling this is probably going to be the best mass-market Superman figure we ever get.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've opened Bizarro and Doomsday thus far. Doomsday is a nice figure, though a bit rubbery, and only about 2/3 as large as he should be. Bizarro, well, that figure is damn near perfect aside from some loose joints.

Anyone know who's forthcoming in this series? I thought a Luthor (in the kooky green battle armor) was coming in this wave, but he must be in the future.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

OH THE HUMANITY!!! http://photos.superherotimes.com/sho...o=9517&cat=788
    (Ken & Barbie Superman Returns figures)

I thought beyond wave 3 (Batman, Robin, Mr Freeze, Azrael), DC-SH waves weren't really formalized.

Azrael?!? You just made my day, JT. Is it the classic Azrael costume, or the more Batman-esque costume he wore for the last couple of years before he was killed?

(I am not referring to the two Azrael-as-Batman suits and variations thereof.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=9517

I think that's the post-Bat one you referred to, right? I'm not especially familiar with which is which as I only paid attention during the Knightfall line.

Nah, that's the old-school Azrael costume. He had that, then two different Batman costumes. (One looked like the classic Bats costume with extra armor and weaponry, and it slowly transformed into the Azrael costume with a few touches of the Batman design.)

The updated costume that he got from Batman when he became an "Agent of the Bat" a few years later isn't quite as distinctive, but I don't believe it's ever been immortalized in plastic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	175px-Azrael02.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	13848  
    Tommy, close your eyes.