Time Warner Cable kills SHOWTIME

So, I just got this nasty tweet saying that Dexter will not be on TWC anymore!

I was like WTH?

Attached was a video that explains TWC is no longer carrying SHOWTIME. In a panic I switched to SHOWTIME only to find my fears confirmed and to be met with an UGLY post explaining that SHOWTIME is no longer available and I will have free access to Encor and Starz until they get it straightened out.

The SHOWTIME website says they offered to allow TWC to continue broadcasting even if they couldn't reach an agreement (presumably for a time period until they DO reach an agreement) but TWC turned down the offer! WTH?!?!

I am not a happy consumer!
    May the force be with you.

Time Warner's been really bad about this sort of thing the past few years. They recently dropped most of the local Palm Springs channels. It's tough to give them the benefit of the doubt and not conclude they're being greedy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Bad business practices, certainly. I don't know if I'd call it greed, they operate with a certain amount of overhead costs, as overhead increases so will the cost to end users. Though it is clear they seem to have more of an issue than many other carriers. I've had Dish, DircTV, and TWC over the last 6-7 years. I sent over a year without the CW on one of them (Dish as I recall).

These things happen, but what blows my mind in TWC's refusal to accept SHOWTIME's offer. That's just stupid.

Overall, TWC offers better and faster internet because the other providers refuse to upgrade their networks to provide faster service, I wouldn't call that greed.
    May the force be with you.

I'd call it greed when it gets to the point that it seems to be happening just about every year with some station or another. That goes beyond normal business practices, IMHO.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Some time back, DirecTV did the same with Viacom stations (which mainly affected me with Comedy Central). Around here, CBS was also a channel included in the TWC dispute. All of these just end up as fiascos.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

CBS has demanded significant increases in carrier fees to TWC and thus its customers. TWC claims it's a 600% increase to carry CBS-owned stations, CBS claims that's nonsense but admits they want upwards of $2 per line for just carrying CBS. In Los Angeles, that's CBS2/KCBS and KCAL 9, and since CBS also owns Showtime, The Movie Channel/TMC, and Flix (whatever that is) they are roped into the drama. If TWC acquiesces to these demands, what's to stop every station for asking for huge carrier fees? And where really will those fees come from, is TWC expected to take a $30 million per month write-down or are they just going to pass those cost increases onto the customer? We all know the reality there.

CBS claims this is "fair" and that they "will not settle for anything less" because they finally made #1 network this last season (not by being good, but by not tripping over their own feet the way the other nets did), I find their "we will not settle for anything less" bullying ludicrous because $2 more out of my pocket a month to watch 9 minutes of ads per hour that I could just get for free by using an antenna is not reasonable. They also seem to want to take this out on innocent customers who aren't with TWC for cable television but are with them for internet, as reports are coming in that TWC internet users are now being redirected from CBS video content to an ad about how unfair TWC is being.

Moreover, by letting it come to this, CBS has shot themselves in the foot pretty hard, Los Angeles is the largest urban market in the country and summer is the broadcast network's softest time to fight from, by failing to come to an agreement with TWC and letting the network get blacked out, they've just cut 37% of their viewing audience off. What are their local and even national advertisers going to say to losing over a third of the largest urban market in the country at the flick of a switch when there's nothing compelling drawing that audience to alternate methods of tuning in? Is CBS going to issue refunds to advertisers? I highly doubt it. I think they also lost about a million households in NYC as well from this.

At the same time, TWC needs to recognize that their record profits come at the backs of unhappy customers stuck in not 1 but 2 nigh-monopolostic industries, that of the cable market and the broadband market, both of which are oligopolies that we the people tolerate because of the free market. But when TWC posts revenues of over $5 billion in the last quarter of 2012 alone and customers don't see money going into bringing more stations to HD on cable or investing in higher quality broadband, they certainly don't want to be played as pawns and lose out even more because TWC is quibbling over what to the company is obviously chump change, so they really need to work hard to come to a reasonable conclusion to this situation quickly before customers get sick of feeling ripped off by a monopoly and do something about it.

As for Showtime and TMC customers, TWC is claiming that they will receive refunds for their downtime and recommend the stations' websites and other alternatives for content for now, and they are working on alternate content on those station numbers from Starz and Encore. Local stations CBS2 and KCAL 9 will get alternate content from Starz Kids and Starz Family, I think it said.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

TWC has a similar issue here in Wisconsin with local NBC affiliates, which for the most part I say "Meh" to but since this is football season and the local NBC provider is the official Packer station that shows preseason games there are no Packer games being shown to TWC subscribers. TWC however IS showing Packer preseason games that are broadcast in Spanish. I however don't care since I 1) am not a TWC household and 2) its preseason crap.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    CBS has demanded significant increases in carrier fees to TWC and thus its customers. TWC claims it's a 600% increase to carry CBS-owned stations, CBS claims that's nonsense but admits they want upwards of $2 per line for just carrying CBS. In Los Angeles, that's CBS2/KCBS and KCAL 9, and since CBS also owns Showtime, The Movie Channel/TMC, and Flix (whatever that is) they are roped into the drama. If TWC acquiesces to these demands, what's to stop every station for asking for huge carrier fees? And where really will those fees come from, is TWC expected to take a $30 million per month write-down or are they just going to pass those cost increases onto the customer? We all know the reality there.
    Disney/ABC/ESPN has pulled similar tricks in the past as well. They asked for a few dollars extra for ESPN a number of years ago, they also put high profile content on ESPN 2 (it was a Duke vs UNC basketball game) in an attempt to get that station on more providers.

I'm not sure what they have done to increase ESPN 8 aka The Ocho. :snarky:

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    TWC however IS showing Packer preseason games that are broadcast in Spanish. I however don't care since I 1) am not a TWC household and 2) its preseason crap.
    iQue bueno! iLos Packers de Bahia Verde! iGoooooooooool... del campo!
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    iQue bueno! iLos Packers de Bahia Verde! iGoooooooooool... del campo!
    There have been sound clips played on local sports talk radio shows that sound quite a bit like the above!