Hybrid View

The Star Wars - what did you think?

"The Star Wars" issue 1 - this is the comic book adaptation of the first draft of Star Wars, (the shooting script was the 4th generation I think).

I finished issue #1 today, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the title on my pull list. I found it unfortunately dull as dishwater, it's poorly paced and far too political, it reeks of the prequels and spends too much time with wink-wink stuff like names and armor pieces and the Stardestroyer small fighters. Meanwhile, the characters are wafer-thin, there are far too many of them thrown at the page without justification or explanation and all with far too unclear motivations, and the little Jedi-Bendu actions shown are middling at best. Oh, and our hero whips his kid in the opening panels, but at least said kid dies 2 pages later so he cries.

I'm also quite turned off by the Stardestroyer fighter design having the big Star Destroyer bridge element and also a friggin' hot rod blower, both of which are just cheap and take the reader out of the moment.

And I suspect we'll get payoff to that Princess Leia scene, but in this book it was pointless and a waste of time, it should have been shuttled off to a later issue or left as dialogue because on the page it's just obvious foreshadowing with no other merit.

This proves why that was a FIRST DRAFT and why Lucas threw it all out in later drafts, it's not terribly compelling.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    This proves why that was a FIRST DRAFT and why Lucas threw it all out in later drafts, it's not terribly compelling.
    That was my fear when I read about the series. Sure, it SOUNDS like a good and interesting concept, but then you remember why things go through the editing process.
    May the force be with you.

I've been curious about this title, but figured I'd wait until it hit the trade paperback edition. I remember reading the early Star Wars drafts back in the mid 90s. That was the first thing I did on the internet when I began "surfing" in 1996: search for screenplays, finding several early drafts of a variety of my favorites, namely The Star Wars. I seem to recall that the sequel was to be titled The Princess of Ondoos or something like that, though I don't think it was ever written.

My local comic shop was sold out. I may try some other shops tomorrow, or wait for the trade paperback as well, or simply pass on it entirely. Just to have my bases covered, you know.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

This is somewhat disheartening. I was looking forward to this more than any Star Wars comic in recent memory, the Wood series included.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Sounds pretty bad.
    I really didn't expect much either, it looked good and all but not overwhelmingly so, my expectations weren't too high. But maybe you'll find it different, I'm most curious to hear what others thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    That was my fear when I read about the series. Sure, it SOUNDS like a good and interesting concept, but then you remember why things go through the editing process.
    Yeah, exactly. I had read the outline in the Making of ANH book and in other places, but they can't give a sense of the on-the-page feel of that first draft. And that draft got entirely tossed out the airlock no less, a brave move from George Lucas at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    I've been curious about this title, but figured I'd wait until it hit the trade paperback edition. I remember reading the early Star Wars drafts back in the mid 90s. That was the first thing I did on the internet when I began "surfing" in 1996: search for screenplays, finding several early drafts of a variety of my favorites, namely The Star Wars. I seem to recall that the sequel was to be titled The Princess of Ondoos or something like that, though I don't think it was ever written.
    Princess of Ondos was from the second draft's opening crawl, and the idea that it was a sequel was fanfic from a time when fanfic ruled the internet hardcore, passing itself off as real.

TPB is probably a good idea, I just thought since it's an episodic-feeling movie that an episodic comic would follow those beats. WRONG. Seriously, it ends in such an awkward place that it might as well be characters walking through a shopping mall and one turns and says "I lost my keys, and also I have no legs" and fades to black. I look forward to hearing what you think of it should you get the TPB. I'll try to remember to bring my copy to our next meet-up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    My local comic shop was sold out. I may try some other shops tomorrow, or wait for the trade paperback as well, or simply pass on it entirely. Just to have my bases covered, you know.
    Very curious to hear what you think as well, and same with Maradona, I'll bring issue 1 to our next meet-up if you don't get one.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    This is somewhat disheartening. I was looking forward to this more than any Star Wars comic in recent memory, the Wood series included.
    Same here, very frustrating. I was considering reviewing it for the site, but came away feeling very much like I couldn't bring enough positive aspects to the party to justify that. Keep in mind, I am only a filter, your mileage may vary.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.