Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

3 3/4" Black Series wave 5: Ree-Yees, Brock Starsher, Snowspeeder Wedge, ROTS Vader

Per this list on Yakface, the case assortment for wave 5 is:

2x NEW Darth Vader (Episode III)
    1x NEW Sgt. Doallyn (Episode VI)
    1x NEW Ree Yees (Episode VI)
    2x NEW Wedge Antilles (Episode V)
    2x Jedi Training Luke Skywalker (Episode V) Wave 4 repack
    2x Jedi Training Yoda (Episode V) - Wave 4 repack
    1x Snowtrooper Commander (Episode V) Wave 4 repack
    1x Toryn Farr (Episode V) Wave 4 repack

The list still states Sgt. Doallyn, though the white-suited skiff guard character was renamed Brock Starsher last year, perhaps in anticipation of this release. Whether Hasbro picks the right name is anyone's guess at this point.

This means that the Republic Trooper (The Old Republic) and AT-RT Driver will not be re-released as was apparently the initial plan. I can't say that I mind those being dropped, but I do think it's a mistake to repack the wave 4 figures so heavily and so soon they're all getting packed two to a case in the first place already, so why bring them back here? I like the idea of them doing the waves as six figures each packed two per case, so it's too bad that they're already abandoning it after one wave. And if Toryn Farr gets to make three appearances between waves 4 and 5, why do Ree-Yees and Brock Starsher only get one each out of the gate?
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I seriously don't understand the reship on Toryn Farr, this is a figure that should be HARD TO GET because VERY FEW PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT IT. Nobody wants to see this figure pegwarm, so it should be shipped in low volume for a while to build up interest. Instead they're going to flood because they gotta put something in the box in a timely manner.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Torrryn Farr means 3 purchases for me.

I have extra Jaina Solo figures and this body might be able to make a good Jedi Academy Jaina to go with Jacen as how he was originally released.

*Might*

Jaina may have never really worn Old Republic Jedi robes as her 2010 figure portrays her and it baffled me why Hasbro made her this way. (I can't tell if that's a re-used (Asian girl Jedi) body or Adi Gallia body, as I've never really looked) - and I'm drinking and can't remember the other Jedi's name at the moment. It's 3:30 am and I'd like to fall back asleep.

Jaina basically wears a tan Luke Bespin type outfit shaped by a feminine body.

Later, she wears black and I customized her a few times with Deena Shan's body from the Luke / Deena 2-pack (and customized Jacen from that pack as well).

I'd love to get the Anakin prototype figure from 2009 BAD collection to make Darth Caedus out of Jacen, but it's rather expensive. A Winter Soldier figure I've been eyeing might work - but it could be too tall.

Meanwhile, the new SW selections barely excite me.

Doayllyn will be the ONLY other figure from this wave that I buy (possibly multiples of, too)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Torrryn Farr means 3 purchases for me.

I have extra Jaina Solo figures and this body might be able to make a good Jedi Academy Jaina to go with Jacen as how he was originally released.

*Might*

Jaina may have never really worn Old Republic Jedi robes as her 2010 figure portrays her and it baffled me why Hasbro made her this way. (I can't tell if that's a re-used (Asian girl Jedi) body or Adi Gallia body, as I've never really looked) - and I'm drinking and can't remember the other Jedi's name at the moment. It's 3:30 am and I'd like to fall back asleep.
    Jaina uses parts from previous female Jedi but her torso is a unique sculpt. Toryn Farr is based on the 2010 TVC Hoth Leia, so you should be able to see if the head-swap using Jaina's head and that Leia's body will work at all before buying extra Toryns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Jaina uses parts from previous female Jedi but her torso is a unique sculpt. Toryn Farr is based on the 2010 TVC Hoth Leia, so you should be able to see if the head-swap using Jaina's head and that Leia's body will work at all before buying extra Toryns.
    Exactly. (Or actually, I can buy up to the 3-4 I think I want - of Toryns - and only open 1 to test it, and return the others if it doesn't work - as I need to keep 1 that I open as Toryn Farr in Echo Base anyway.)

I'm very disappointed that there is not more to excite me coming out for Star Wars in the Black Series, and I worry that it is one of the last chances for pretty obscure or "less than exciting for a KID'S toyline" figures that I want:

ANH - Rannat, Defel, Space Suit Guy, (I don't even know if I have a Red Leader (Garven Dreis) figure).

ESB - random Cloud City woman, Asian mustached Bespin Guard, Treva Horme, Wiorkettle, Luke Bespin Jacket open (Dagobah)

ROTJ - Shasha Teil, Sgt. Doayllyn in black, Sim Aloo,

TPM - Tey How, female N-1 Pilot, black N-1 pilot, black Naboo Security, PKU Droid, Senator Anaconda Farr

AOTC: Padme office meeting, Padme yellow waterfalls dress, Rogwa Woodrata, Senator Tiikes, Dooku's pilot droid carded, Cliegg Lars, Club Outlander girl, Dexter's waitress, Padme nightgown attack, Queen Jamilla

ROTS: Padme Senator, Padme "buns," Bail Organa Speeder Pilot, Bail Organa Senator, Palpatine Empire Speech (non-action feature), Palpatine vs Mace duel re-do, non-action feature, new Utai, new Polis Masan, new Wookiee (again), 'Paun Prisoner, birthing droid, Queen of Naboo, alien Jedi Council member,

Plus, I'd have preferred to get more Clone Wars animated figures and Dark Horse / Del Rey Expanded Universe figures as part of Star Wars' legacy that held me over since 1994-1999 (TPM's release) which saw the birth of Jaina and Jacen Solo in the Thrawn Trilogy that introduced Mara Jade.

I would like NJO to also not have been forgotten.

I realize that to continue "the Batman line" (I am referring to a toy line for kids referencing the most familiar representations of major characters) we will have to continue having:

Vader / Anakin
    Stormtrooper - all kinds (Endor, Hoth, Clone 1, Clone 2, specialties)
    Obi-Wan - all ages
    Chewie
    R2
    C-3PO
    Han - familiar 3 film looks
    Luke - familiar 3 film looks
    Leia - familiar 3 film looks (more action, less Ewok Princess, Bespin Gown)
    Padme (Hanger Battle, Arena Battle, maybe a Queen)
    Sith Lords - likely Maul, sometimes Tyranus, with in-between frequency Sidious as Palpatine or Dark Lord
    Battle Droids (various types like Destroyers, Super, IG styles)
    Grievous
    Fett (Jango and Boba in armor)

and the alien choices will revolve around the most familiar: Greedo Ponda, Gamorrean, Skiff Guard, Tusken, Jawa, Ewok, Gungan, Geonosian, Wookiee

But almost none of these immediately above will interest me. I have these figures. Sure they can improve them and sell them to NooBs that have never gotten them - these above are the staple of the line - but I'll keep what I have and stick around to get excited about the Ranat and Nyrat Agira, Cliegg Lars, and a non-action-sequence Padme.

Mind you, I know that seeing the above short-list of regulars is exciting to see in the stores and tempts new-comers in to the hobby as the random in Target that owns no Star Wars figures is not going to get excited that they finally made the Defel from the '77 cantina scene.

I'm just saying, too each their own.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Per this image from Andrew's Toyz, Brock Starsher is being simply called "Jabba's Skiff Guard" on the card. I can see them not wanting to confuse people who have been calling him Sgt. Doallyn for years, or to make it more obvious to casual fans. I wonder if he'll be name-checked on the back of the card.

I thought they were already posted, but here are carded shots of Vader, Ree-Yees, and Wedge.

Brock Starsher looks horrendous, the sculpt is a total misfire, the weapons are swapped for something lame, but it's the deco that really looks like someone phoned this in - the weathered boots became spattered in wite-out, every single paint app has notable slop, and the plastics used look really chintzy. The only thing that seems to be noteworthy is the insert-molded hinges on the ankles are properly-colored black instead of using the white hinge color on the rest of the body.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT, As I am agreeing with you no one said his head is way too small for his body yet

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Brock Starsher looks horrendous, the sculpt is a total misfire, the weapons are swapped for something lame, but it's the deco that really looks like someone phoned this in - the weathered boots became spattered in wite-out, every single paint app has notable slop, and the plastics used look really chintzy. The only thing that seems to be noteworthy is the insert-molded hinges on the ankles are properly-colored black instead of using the white hinge color on the rest of the body.
    Check out the official Hasbro Starsher and Ree-Yees photos from February – it looks like their weapons have been swapped, either for those photos or for the final figures. Ree-Yees looks to be coming with blasters similar to those from his 1998 release, and Starsher has the typical skiff guard gear, so I'm betting they were accidentally switched for the photos.

The boot weathering looks way better in the old photos.

I am Brock Starsher.

I cannot tell if my weapons are wrong because I cannot breath in this helmet.

Either it or my head is too small!

And it was going to so expand. I am one of the first SW figures to be released that is not a resculpt or reusing old parts of other figures and also being part of the Clone Army or some other type of figure that collectors already have seven dozen of.

Well, you guys haven't had a Tatooine Luke in a while. Maybe you should start a petition for another one?

I also noticed there are no (zero) prequel figures in this wave at all.

Would be a good trend IF there weren't important never-made-before prequel figures that could still be made (Padme in various E2 / E3 outfits, Bail Organa [E3 Senate, Speeder Pilot], Cliegg Lars, Tey How, Rogwa Woodrata, Tiikes, Anaconda Farr, variant Polis Masan, alternate Utai, Dorme, Corde, Nyrat Agira, Hermione Bagwa, Outlander Bartender, carded Pilot Battle Droid, PKU Droid....Sei Teria...E3 alien Jedi Council Member # 12, etc.