Bowen Designs Original X-Men 12" Beast statue

Not sure if anyone else collects stuff like this, but I just got this statue in the mail last week and I love it! The original human Beast has been my favorite superhero for over 20 years now and I'm excited to finally have a statue of the character at this level of quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8882_2.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	28034

If I had any complaints, it would be that the statue itself connects to the base with only one peg and relies on gravity to hold itself in place. So, the connection is a bit looser that I would like, but it just means that I have to pick it up and move it with two hands instead of one. It does limit the ability to pick the statue up and hit someone over the head with it, though. So, it falls a bit short in the "Potential for Use as an Offensive Weapon" category, but if that is not an important selling point for you, then it's not a big deal at all.

Even though the statue was billed as being 12" tall, that's actually a reference to the scale. Since Beast is crouching, the entire statue is really only about 7" tall and they included a metal rod that plugs into the base in order to fulfill the 12 inches requirement. As it is, I think the pose is great. If any character should be crouching down it should be Beast and it just adds some variety for those who plan to collect the whole team.

A basic 360º view of the statue (I knew that blank All-New X-Men #1 variant cover would come in handy someday):

Name:	IMG_8872_2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	28037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8876_2.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	28035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8877_2.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	28038Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8878_2.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	28036

There is another version of this statue in his brown-&-yellow X-Factor uniform that I might get as well and supposedly they have plans to release it again in his red-&-blue O5 uniform (aka the "graduation" uniform - which is actually my personal favorite); but no word on when (or if) that version will get released. The poses differ slightly in each version, but since this is the original and most iconic of human Beast's costumes (not to mention the one that he is currently wearing in ANXM right now), I wanted to make sure to get it first.

The edition size of the O5 version is 450 (mine is number 244) and the X-Factor Beast has an edition size of only 250. So, I probably should buy the X-Factor Beast soon if I'm going to get it for a decent price.

I don't currently have plan to build the entire team with these (I think Original Iceman is the only version not released yet); but I probably will get at least one more statue, probably Jean Grey and/or Iceman.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Well, I finally bit the bullet and got my hands on the X-Factor version of this statue (the Shock Trooper is added just to give a sense of scale):

Name:	IMG_8921_2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	28156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8920_2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	28157

Even though the statues are expensive ($217 for this one, $165 for the previous version), I'm really enjoying collecting these right now. It kind of reminds me of the enjoyment that I used to get from collecting Star Wars stuff about 12-13 years ago. Plus, I think Hank McCoy is one of the most underrated superheroes in comic books and his original human form has been sidelined for over 25 years now. I'm just glad that human Beast is back in the main Marvel continuity and we're finally getting some really amazing collectibles based on the character.

I'm looking at getting X-Factor Iceman or Original X-Men Jean Grey next.

Well, I added the final Beast statue to my collection, as well as Original Jean Grey.

Name:	IMG_9001_2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	28268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8999_2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	28271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9002_2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	28269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9008_2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	28270

I had a feeling that Bowen Designs would eventually release Classic red & blue Beast in a super limited run, but I had no idea there were only going to be 75 of him made! It was an exclusive to the online store Rocky's Vault and I read that the statue sold out within an hour and a half. I had never even heard of Rocky's Vault until about 2 weeks after the statue was gone, so I had to go onto the StatueMarvels forums and ask around until I found someone there willing to sell me one.

Fortunately, I had been preparing for this very scenario and held onto my tax return this year. So I set a budget for the maximum amount that I could afford to pay for this statue and I spent every penny in that budget to get ahold of it; but it's #7 of 75, so I'm really happy with the purchase.

It's an awesome statue, easily my favorite of the three Beasts and that's not just because of the limited run. If they had produced 10,000 of them and I only paid $50 for it, it would still be the centerpiece of my collection. The extreme rarity just makes it that much more special.

After this I'll likely continue building the Neal Adams era team.