Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luke X-wing's paintjob sucks!

What is up with Hasbro and these Skywalker boys in the POTJ line with cruddy paintjobs?

First, Anakin has brown paint dropped on his head instead of his customary yellow and brown streaked job, and his pit droid is a nice minty green with rust, apparently in a "before-n-after" homage to the Statue of Liberty. Now, Hasbro has Luke X-wing wearing pudding on his hair and a smile that would frighten Donny Osmond!

Why does Hasbro persist in painting these figures like crap in the new line? They were just starting to get it right with Anakin, Luke was still a yellowhead in POTF2, but they were making progress. Now, with the rest of this new line having some big improvements in design and paint application, I smply cannot figure out why Hasbro drops the ball with these 2, the core of core figures! What's worse is that it's not that hard for Hasbro to turn a big mistake of a figure like Luke X-wing into a champion simply by getting those paints right! Look at what I did in 45 seconds in Photoshop (attached, image on right), if I can do THAT in less time than it takes to pay for a figure at TRU, then why can't Hasbro make a color that's believable and less paint on the teeth?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lukehead.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	41  
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk, JediTricks. Don' you know that most people who work at Hasbro are color blind! Now don't you feel silly after ranting and raving and using up all that energy?

But seriously, they really could have fixed the paint job. Oh well, its still going to be a cool *** figure.
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

I thought it was Alvin the chipmunk when I saw the close up shots recently. I guess when i eventually find him I'll have to crack open the pot of yellow paint and redo the do. And that mouth is well off. They'd have done better to leave it unpainted.

Question

If anything is bad, i agree with the teeth. What is the deal with that, I don't remember Luke having buck teeth?
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Exclamation PEH!

He looks like someone hit him over the head with a hammer in a cartoon. Hey maybe it is a tribute to Mark Hamill for being the voice of so many cartoons (hehehe). JT, do you own it? Or did they perhaps change it a bit before actually shipping it? Oh well, they tried. Atleast they got the face right this time, except the eyes and teeth. <--combine those two faces to make: LUKE!(HEHEHE)
    "Sometimes we are lucky enough to know our lives have been changed, to discard the old and embrace the new and run headlong down an immutable course."
    ~ Jacques Cousteau
    Great Traders: CowherPower

see, this new fig's hair color is supposed to reflect Luke having worn his helmet for awhile, and well, the guy who wore it previously had a bit of a, er, sweat problem...

In all seriousness though, JT, I do agree with you on the hair color and teeth. The hair is too dark, but to me (shameless plug: my reviews of this wave are up and in the review section) it is much better than the peroxide Luke that was shown by Hasbo on their road tour. That's not to excuse them - I would prefer Lukes correct hair color! As for the teeth, having seen about ten or so thus far, some have more of a bucktooth appearance than others. None of the one's I saw had Luke looking up!

This is an awsome Luke fig, the sculpt is unbelievable - but, this could have been the ultimate X wing Luke with correct hair color and w/ a less impressive display of Luke's pearly whites

customizers, get your acrylics ready!

Re: PEH!

He looks like someone hit him over the head with a hammer in a cartoon.

LOL!!! That's a good one...
    Bad Taste

Exclamation arg!

Amanamatt, do you own it or have you seen it in stores? Is it even out yet, besides at Brian's Toys who probably owns Hasbro? I want this wave, I don't know why, but I do! ARG! So if what you say, about some having more of a smile than others, is true, then there could be a lot of variations...
    "Sometimes we are lucky enough to know our lives have been changed, to discard the old and embrace the new and run headlong down an immutable course."
    ~ Jacques Cousteau
    Great Traders: CowherPower

Speaking of poor POTJ paint jobs, has anyone taken a close look at Duros? Try moving the arms/legs and look around the joints. Mine looks like it really was painted by someone from the school of the blind. I hope this doesn't represent the start of a trend.

to Plokoon: I own this wave...picked them up at a collector show that had imported them from Hong Kong...stores here should have them within a couple weeks... considering I have never seen the Duros wave in any retail store, I decided to pick them up now!

thnk you for the edit feature. My spelling is atroceous!
    Last edited by AmanaMatt; 08-28-2001 at 02:53 AM.