Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody else going to D23 Expo?

Yeah, it's happening, I'm covering D23 this year. I've always wanted to go, and now that they have a Star Wars movie to promote they're in need of SW press.

There are a few panels for Star Wars enthusiasts as I've posted here:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2015/0...r-wars-events/

And exclusive products:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2015/0...d23-expo-2015/

There's also a few non-Star Wars panels I'd very much be interested in seeing. Anybody else going?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I know this will seem like a useless post, but since I live nearby and have passes I feel obligated: I can't, pretty serious scheduling conflict.

(There's a chance I might be there on Tuesday, but D23 won't be going on yet.)
    That's my jacket!

Oh well. Don't forget it's also prohibitively expensive.

I have a scheduling conflict on Saturday night, that's gonna be a LOT of driving for me that day.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Where "text" & "friend" are (n) & "fail" is (v)
    I'll go vicariously via you, JT!

I have a friend who has some "ins" with different Disney stuff, but not so much he can let another person in gratis.
    From Star Wars Episode VII: the Broadway Edition... FN and the Amazing Technically-Poe's Dream Jacket.

The first batch of photos are up. I don't have any energy left to write up anything, there wasn't much to write up, just Lucas' induction into the Disney Legends. There's a monstrous line for stage fastpasses, which is ironic since most of the presentations you can just wait in the standby line less than waiting in the ridiculous stagepass line. The line for the Disney Store was 3 hours+ without a StorePass, I hear those are mega-limited, no thanks. The line for the Dreamstore was pretty short by the time I got there, maybe 35 minutes, but I had a media liaison take me through so I didn't get to buy anything, although I was able to find all the SW stuff necessary, and found out about the pin being released tomorrow.

This place had worse lines than SWCA, which is shocking since there's clearly less people. And almost everything is sales of some kind, which is downright exhausting. They haven't taken a page from SDCC's book and staggered seating, every room is flat and identical, it's really irritating. Stage 23 (not to be confused with Hall D23 :eyeroll: ) has too much stage fog, my lungs are still coughing it up, I can taste it.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2015/0...2015-coverage/

Now I'm going to collapse into a pile, then do it all over again tomorrow. It looks like I won't be getting in to the Live Action Movies panel tomorrow, I have a separate media appointment so I can't wait the 5 hours in line it'd take, and I didn't get press seating for that presentation.

Looking forward to all your coverage, JT. I wish I could go, but this weekend is the first of the school year with kids back yesterday and some meetings today. I went to D23 in 2011 and enjoyed it. This would have marked the third event at the Anaheim convention center for me this year, having attended Wonder Con and Celebration back in the spring.

I went on Friday and Saturday! Will have a lot more to say about it later on. It was a lot worse run than SWC or Wonder Con or SDCC, I'll put it at that. Not using the arena at all was a tremendous mistake as was using the hall23 for only 2 panels per day. I didn't make it to the live movies panel either and really, it should have been split into 3 - 1 for Marvel, 1 for Lucasfilm, 1 for Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Looking forward to all your coverage, JT. I wish I could go, but this weekend is the first of the school year with kids back yesterday and some meetings today. I went to D23 in 2011 and enjoyed it. This would have marked the third event at the Anaheim convention center for me this year, having attended Wonder Con and Celebration back in the spring.
    Everything Star Wars that I shot is online now, including the Legendary Yoda video (which I apologize for the audio, this woman running the booth next door was just the worst with her scam-artist spiel right in my face while I was shooting).

Dang, seems like Anaheim convention center is making a name for itself!

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    I went on Friday and Saturday! Will have a lot more to say about it later on. It was a lot worse run than SWC or Wonder Con or SDCC, I'll put it at that. Not using the arena at all was a tremendous mistake as was using the hall23 for only 2 panels per day. I didn't make it to the live movies panel either and really, it should have been split into 3 - 1 for Marvel, 1 for Lucasfilm, 1 for Disney.
    Sorry I didn't see you there, Bran. I totally agree that this was one of the less well-run conventions I've been to, that feeling never went away.

I was told that the Hall D venue held more people than the arena, just looked up the numbers, the arena holds 7500 as an arena, less with the stage, and Hall D at maximum would hold 15,000 which seems utterly insane - they didn't use the space for that many, but supposedly over 8,000. Still, you're absolutely right that the arena seating would have been much better for viewing, it was appalling how frustrating the layout in Hall D was, and not using staggered seating was a massive blunder -- this is something SDCC gets right no matter how big or small the venue, so long as they can control it (the hotels control the seating in their venues used for SDCC).

Just posted news of Seasons of the Force at Disneyland and WDW:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2015/0...yland-resorts/

Also, one thing that really bugged the crap out of me at D23 Expo was that during seating for panels in Hall 23, the big room, for their Star Wars incidental background music they were playing
    JEDI ROCKS!!!!!!

Seriously?!?

Who at Disney thinks Jedi Rocks is something people want to hear??? Who is so disconnected from reality that Jedi Rocks is their go-to Star Wars music? Jedi Rocks is one of the most appallingly wrong things to happen in Star Wars, right there with Harvey Korman's head-mouth in the Holiday Special.

I feel that what worked against D23's favor is that the fan club itself, D23, tends to organize and hold much smaller scale events. Tours of the Disney Burbank Studios for groups of 50 or preview screenings of Disney films at the El Capitan in Hollywood, those would be examples of your typical D23 activity.

I thought the exhibit hall looked very nice. The red carpet and softer lighting in several places helped to make the convention center seem an altogether different one than the one that hosted SWC and WonderCon so for that I give them an A+.

Entry lines/line management, I would have to give them an F+ however. I don't feel it was necessary to have thousands of people waiting in 90-100 degree heat for the convention to open when there were other places they could have queued up everyone. Since the arena was not being used, I don't see why they couldn't have used that vast lobby/hall area in front of it as a holding pen to let people into the exhibit hall.