Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

San Diego Comic Con 2014 passes to get more complicated

Lord Malakite just brought this to my attention, there will be NO multi-day passes sold for this year's Comic-Con, it'll be 1 day passes only and if you want preview night you have to be able to buy all 4 single day passes.

http://comicsalliance.com/san-diego-...y-passes-2014/

Yes, they're trying to "help" by making it a heavier load on the system, great plan.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

They need to split it. Sounds harsh, but leave Comic-Con in San Diego at that time, and require that everything be actually comic-related. Move the completely non-comic stuff to Anaheim or LA.

Trouble is, the studios have the big money and CCI will never turn its back on that, and, even if they tried, all the studios would try to one-up their competition by finding a way to be at Comic-Con anyway. Especially with Disney and Warner effectively being the two big publishers, and the other publishers having strong ties to some of the other studios.

It's simply become too bloated a monster, and effectively restricting it so comic fans can't go and enjoy it actually goes against CCI's stated purpose as a non-profit.

We need an alternative, and, unfortunately, Comic-Con will never provide it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

San Diego would go broke in a year with that plan. SDCC now pays the city's bills through tax revenues and ancillary spending, the majority of the 135,000+ attendees aren't there for comic books, and nothing in Anaheim or LA has the volume to house that many convention-goers. It would be nice if the stupid crap like panels and booths for shows that have no geek-out appeal would shrivel up and go away though, stuff like ABC's Pan Am from a few years ago was a waste of time and space (nice freebies tho), but then again there's stuff like Twilight that you and I think is a disgusting inclusion yet it's based on a YA book about vampires so really it's not THAT far off and it does have a ton of geeked-out fans.

Wondercon was pretty good in Anaheim, more comic-focused, I think attendance was in the 50k range, they should do it here instead of in the bay area to take that pressure off - in the bay area it's just another oddity like everything else around it, but in Anaheim the last 2 years it broke its attendance records every time and sold out last year.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

One word: outdoors. Put the whole thing on the streets, then just require that there's no wind, no inclement or excessive weather. Plenty of room then. Simple. :brusheshands:

Now, tell me why I should be excited to go back to this awesome-yet-massively-flawed event? IIRC, it was last in '06 for me. Crowds, parking, food, access to panels, lines for exclusives.
    "That's what Sheev said."

I've failed miserably the past few years with trying for the 4 day passes so I'm already used to this.

Depending on how this stuff goes, I may not go at all this year.

I get to buy on Saturday.

I'll let you know how my process goes. If you attended with a paid badge last year, you're also probably registering Saturday morning at 9am PST (that's noon for the east coast).

The waiting room opens 2 hours earlier, but they say it's going to go by random selection and not first-in the waiting room.

They should add a chat feature for everyone in the waiting room so we can all complain and console each other.

Maybe with an auto-censor since every other word will be #$@! and ^&#!

In any case, I am going to try and get all 4 days and Sneak Preview Night. Whether I attend all days depends upon the schedule of events and when I burn out from it all.

I might get a spot in artist alley for presenting and selling my novels. They should be out by then. I'm not sure how late you can jump in, but I am prepared to eat the price I pay for the general attendee day passes if I really can't get a refund.

Anyway, I'm not going to look into that right now since I am not sure when the artist, editor, and copy formatters I've hired will be done with their efforts on my items-to-be-published.

Besides that, I heard it's a 3-year wait to get exhibitor space - and I (if - big if) I am successful, I don't think approximately 5 or fewer months after the release date for my novels, I'll have any significant following. But I won't complain if I'm wrong. New artists debut often at Comic Con to get their work out there. Mine may be controversial and antagonizing / insulting enough that I hope it will be talked about. There's the saying that even a bad reputation is better than being unknown. I intend to re-post all the negative feedback I get about my work (besides the always-nice-positive-comments) because I admit - I enjoy negative attention (somewhere between Andrew Dice Clay / Charlie Sheen / and Rush Limbaugh) - it attracted all of them attention. But again, Comic Con 2014 might be too early for this, as I think it is an expensive endeavor.

I will have Buried Values men's / women's clothing, hats, and poster artwork for sale as well. It's all been legally secured and I have tentative production agreements with a supplier (they want the business, I have to decide upon the appropriate time for all that).

Meanwhile, since a known Star Wars artist is creating them, and the signature logo, I might actually garner interest in my stuff irrespective of any nasty reputation - as Breaking Bad celebrated meth-amphetamine production / distribution and Sons of Anarchy stresses the success of criminal biker gangs with illegal automatic weapons sales, prostitution, and drug-running. (Like that's not celebrated at Comic Con along side of Superman and Yugio? I got my SoA and BB paraphernalia at Comic Con to some degree - and then there's Dexter - as serial killing as a hobby is not to be ignored. Gosh - this is all getting me excited for Comic Con besides all the cool Star Wars I hope to see - like the redemption of the Black Series).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

As happens yearly, I was not able to get all 4 days, just Thurs and Sun.

They claimed it made no difference if you logged on at 7 am or 8 am or close to 9 but I highly doubt that.

I logged into the waiting room at 8:15 approx.

I got the same day passes as you, Chux.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    As happens yearly, I was not able to get all 4 days, just Thurs and Sun.

They claimed it made no difference if you logged on at 7 am or 8 am or close to 9 but I highly doubt that.
    Ugh, that's worse than your last year's, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I logged into the waiting room at 8:15 approx.

I got the same day passes as you, Chux.
    I think you mean "Bran".

This is such bullcrap, at this point it's becoming like E3 where only industry can get in.

Who's going to Wondercon? Looks like the Comic Con people are keeping it in Anaheim another year.