Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you feel like you have one foot out the door with Hasbro?

I've been collecting Hasbro Star Wars consistently since '95 when Kenner put out POTF2 figures. While I've considered getting out before, never has it been so tempting to leave Hasbro as it has been with The Black Series.

The last 3.75" figure I was even remotely interested in getting was Mara Jade and that was November of last year. At $10 a pop, not finding the new figures has been more a blessing than a curse as these things just look terrible, bad executions with poor paint, not enough accessories, and questionable articulation choices - there's nothing premium about this line but the price.

I tried to like Saga Legends but the few figures I got were underwhelming, sculpts that didn't look good up close and were difficult to pose in an enjoyable way.

6" is barely holding my interest, the sculpts and paint jobs have gone downhill and the character choices aren't hitting my needs that well, there's a lot of odd decisions like the codpiece on that Vader figure or the helmet on the Biker Scout figure or the lack of a removable vest on ROTJ Luke. These started at premium but quickly slid down to "Hasbro".

Hasbro also refuses to make anything happen with the Force FX line, just letting an awesome license die because it doesn't fit their bloated business model.

Meanwhile, as Hasbro continues to flounder, Mattel has gotten an old Galoob license wrested away from Hasbro and is doing something with it, Die Cast Flight Series will return Star Wars vehicles to shelves this year.

Acme Archives has so many amazing art pieces for Star Wars this year that it's hard to decide which to focus on.

Sideshow may be treading water but they're still releasing an amazing R2-D2 in 1:6 this year.

Kotobukiya continues to deliver with ArtFX+ model kit prepainted statues that are 8" tall and look better than Hasbro for around $40 a piece.

2 Japanese companies are looking to release 6" Star Wars figure lines soon, and Hasbro says that's for a different collector, proving their still marketing their 6" line to lower-end rather than the premium they originally claimed it to be.

Hasbro is refusing to look at Star Wars Rebels for The Black Series right now.

So, do you feel like you're nearly done with Hasbro? If so, what do you think will be your breaking point? If not, what's keeping you in the game?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Unfortunately, yes.

I've bought one TBS figure, Darth Plagueis. Only a few others interested me, until I saw them in person. Torryn Farr's a big maybe, if she actually shows up, but, as much as I've wanted that figure for so long, I'm not convinced slapping a new head on an old Leia is a $10 figure. Anything that's not actually been seen in stores, I have no firm hopes of actually shipping.

The 6-inch figure line is a joke. It's been around, what, a year, and no Vader. That's just crazy. Overdone or not, the guy's the main character. But we managed to get a Greedo with Pegwarming Gimmick in that time. And the fugliest Princess Leia ever. (Yes, worse than the 1995 "Monkey-Face" Leia. She was awful, but the big H has had almost twenty years worth of improvement, and is working in a size that should be easier to do better detail.)

No interest at all in the 5-POA figures. I could see getting one or two, but only if they cost less than they do and fit in better with other figures. I actually have some of the Joe 5-POA figures, which were vehicle drivers and actually work somewhat well in that capacity, as well as the Wolverine 2 Ninja figure (basically the Joe Red Ninja with fewer joints and a different color scheme).

I got my 3-year-old the Anakin-to-Vader 12" scale figure on clearance. It was okay for $12, but no way in hell would that have been worth $30. It's inferior to stuff from ten years ago. Raise prices or cut corners; don't do both (as Hasbro has all across the board, it seems).

Exclusives are getting worse all the time. TRU somehow manages to order metric tons of the crap exclusives so they rot for ages, but for good stuff, they order twelve for the entire chain and no one finds them. WM's always been spotty on the exclusives front, and Target's Hasbro exclusives have seemed to be dull for the most part over the past few years. Meanwhile, K-Mart is still getting good exclusives, despite closing 50% of their stores every month (and no one knowing quite how they're still in business at all), and now Walgreens is going to be getting exclusives. I know there have been a lot of "leftover" figures that didn't ship to regular stores and wound up at Walgreens (especially the later waves of recent Joe lines), but it'd be tough to find a retailer that cares less about collectors and has employees who simply won't care... maybe if there was a Kroger's exclusive, I guess.

Meanwhile, G.I. Joe is basically dead in the water. This in spite of using figure technology that stomps the SW line, and having two well-received animated series (or miniseries) that were both canned in favor of the underperforming movies. For the 50th anniversary, we get a couple of Retaliation leftovers and a bunch of repaints, all at TRU and all in multipacks requiring buying older figures that mostly weren't tough to find. I understand they're trying to resuscitate the line, but the guy in charge of that seems to think it a crazy idea to release Cobra troop builders in larger numbers and maybe even variant colors, and had never even though about producing female Cobras.

Transformers is the best of the bunch now, but underwhelming. Quality varies greatly from figure to figure; you get gems like Swerve or Tailgate that cost almost as much as vastly inferior figures like Scoop (who are only slightly bigger). The "everything's a Combiner!" gimmick for 2015 already has me concerned about figures who shouldn't be Combiners suffering because they're shoehorned in (and it looks like the big gestalts will actually require many more figures than the originals; both Superion and Menasor from SDCC were built of at least six each). And I'm sick of the remakes. Yes, the new Jetfire looks better than the 2005 (?) Classics one, and this fourth shot at Powerglide (counting the DOTM figure) looks better, but, holy crap, how many damned Cliffjumpers do we need? How many times can they make new, unique Optimus Primes who turn into red semi trucks and somehow are no better than any previous version? There've been multiple times where they've put out a remake of an older figure no one was expecting, then, it seems, as soon as people have been able to buy it, announce a far better version (Springer, Whirl, Roadbuster). They're just sticking too closely to a small, seemingly random for the most part, core of characters to update (sort of like G.I.Joe, to be honest, with their obsession with Beach Head, for instance... only Joes are far easier to customize and scavenge for parts than Transformers), while ignoring a rich cast that includes literally hundreds of characters, every single one of which is at least a cult favorite, and a surprising number of whom have played prominent roles in one of the many comics or cartoons.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I would totally eat my words about Combiner Wars if Hasbro were to make new, properly-scaled versions of all six Constructicons... who can turn into the classic Devastator, or be rearranged, minus Scrapper, to form "new" Devastator, with either of a new Prowl or a new Megatron able to form the head.

There's probably a better chance of Hasbro declaring 2015 "The Year of the Tonnikas!" and producing them in every line they make.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I've been collecting Hasbro Star Wars consistently since '95 when Kenner put out POTF2 figures. While I've considered getting out before, never has it been so tempting to leave Hasbro as it has been with The Black Series.
    So, do you feel like you're nearly done with Hasbro? If so, what do you think will be your breaking point? If not, what's keeping you in the game?
    Same here. I had a job then, so I could actually afford to do what I dreamed of as a child: walk into a store and buy WHATEVER I WANTED, just fill up the cart. I was a completist up until AOTC's second wave IIRC, when getting every figure became madness; I still have not bought a ROTS leather robes Anakin.

I have bought nearly 1100 individual SW figures in the 3 3/4" line; might buy about 38 more to end at an appropriate number. I look for figures, I find virtually none I want, if I can find any new ones at all. I'm not buying much non-book SW items at all. Disney's purchase isn't helping, either.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I've had both feet out the door for almost a year, but every once in a while I peek in the window to see if Hasbro is releasing anything interesting. Since Biker Scouts and TIE Pilots are two of my favorite Imperial troopers, I'm a bit interested in the 6" versions of those guys, but Hasbro's poor quality control means that I will wait until I actually see them in person before deciding to buy. Both look okay, based on the photos I've seen, but nothing mindblowingly great. Considering how Scout Troopers and TIE Pilots have been an almost constant fixture in Hasbro's Star Wars line for 18 years now, I expected more precision and accuracy.

Also, I've read about overly soft plastic being used for the Biker Scout's legs, which is a big bummer for me since I planned to display him without his bike if I bought him.

Right now, the 5-POA Mission Series Biker Scout and SL AT-AT Driver (another favorite Imperial of mine) have me more excited than just about anything else Star Wars related - that Hasbro is releasing anyway. Sideshow's 1:6 Biker Scout and TIE Pilot look pretty amazing to me.

Interestingly enough, I stumbled across the new Command line at Target last week and I was surprisingly impressed with what I saw. The sculpts on the minifigures are pretty good and I like the fact that they don't try to blend the OT and PT together. I didn't buy any of them, because I try to avoid impulse purchases when it comes to hobbies these days. But I'll probably go back to Target within the next couple of weeks and if I see them again I might pick up one or two sets.

Transformers have been dead to me since 2007 and GI Joe since 2009, so I don't even pay attention to those lines anymore. It's not that I have some sort of grudge against them, but the movies effectively killed any interest that I had and I have yet to see that interest return in any significant way for either franchise. Kind of a bummer, because I really enjoyed the GI Joe 25th Anniversary line and the Transformers Alternators line.

Hasbro did mention something about how it's been a great year for Marvel Legends sales, though, so I think they are going to be putting a lot more resources into that line. Also, we're finally getting not just one, but two more Beast figures in the 3.75" line. The blue-furry Jim Lee Beast, and the grey-furred Amazing Adventures Beast:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beast__scaled_800.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	28409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gray beast variant__scaled_800.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	28410

The Grey Beast looks like it will be an easy enough repaint as the George Perez Beast later on down the road. Grey Beast is a definite purchase from me and I might buy multiples. I'll buy one Jim Lee Beast, mainly just to show support for the character; but it's not my favorite Beast design (definitely better than lion-Beast though).

Some people are bummed about the reduced articulation on the 3.75" Marvel figures, but I actually like them better than the overly-jointed, gangly messes that we used to get in the MU line.

Some of the new Legends figures look really good. The "Marvel NOW!" versions of Cyclops and Storm are definite possibilities for me if I ever see them in a store.

So, in summary, I'm keeping an eye out for a select few items in their Star Wars lines; but my only definite Hasbro purchases will be from their Marvel Infinities line.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I'm not done or on the way out, but it's definitely been difficult these past few years and it doesn't really look like things are getting better. If you're thinking of getting out, now would probably be the time before Rebels and the new films start barreling forward. I'm a loose completist, and I'm lucky enough to have an entire room for display, but already it's not enough and it will only get crazier with a new movie every year. I'd like to think that Hasbro could get its act together for the new entertainment coming up, but between their general incompetence, Derryl leaving the line, the dwindling action figure market with uninterested kids and bored collectors, and their meager offerings for non-SW films doesn't leave me too optimistic.

I like the 6" line, I really do. When they knock it out of the park, it's awesome. But it's hard to get excited about buying bigger versions of things I already own multiples of, and we're already seeing lazy repaints like the Imperial Shadow Squadron set and Clone Trooper ranks.

My heart still belongs to the 3 3/4" line. The pre-show rumors listed tons of figures that Hasbro had planned, and the rumors lined up with what was shown, indicating that the rumor list was true – but they only showed a third of it. By now I'm used to the first half of the year being dry and the second having much more product, but there hasn't been much in the Fall lately, and there won't be much this year, either.

I feel that splitting the line so decisively between "kid" and "collector" was probably a mistake. While Saga Legends and Mission Series are selling gangbusters, and have their own certain charm that I do like, I still think it would be best to get rid of the split lines return entirely to an $8 figure with reasonable articulation that could serve both markets. It feels like we're still paying for Hasbro overselling the TPM 3D release.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Hasbro also refuses to make anything happen with the Force FX line, just letting an awesome license die because it doesn't fit their bloated business model.
    I've purchased Hasbro's removable blade Maul (x2), Anakin, and Kit Fisto sabers. I'd gladly buy a removable blade Mace saber, but it doesn't seem like it's in the cards. It seems they've moved this type of product into the $40 Ultimate FX sabers instead, even though those are for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    The 6-inch figure line is a joke. It's been around, what, a year, and no Vader. That's just crazy. Overdone or not, the guy's the main character. But we managed to get a Greedo with Pegwarming Gimmick in that time. And the fugliest Princess Leia ever. (Yes, worse than the 1995 "Monkey-Face" Leia. She was awful, but the big H has had almost twenty years worth of improvement, and is working in a size that should be easier to do better detail.)
    Vader's coming within the next few months, though, so that's not too horrible, and there's only been 15 figures in the line before his release. And I don't think the slave Leia is nearly as bad as you do, but that's subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Exclusives are getting worse all the time. TRU somehow manages to order metric tons of the crap exclusives so they rot for ages, but for good stuff, they order twelve for the entire chain and no one finds them. WM's always been spotty on the exclusives front, and Target's Hasbro exclusives have seemed to be dull for the most part over the past few years. Meanwhile, K-Mart is still getting good exclusives, despite closing 50% of their stores every month (and no one knowing quite how they're still in business at all), and now Walgreens is going to be getting exclusives. I know there have been a lot of "leftover" figures that didn't ship to regular stores and wound up at Walgreens (especially the later waves of recent Joe lines), but it'd be tough to find a retailer that cares less about collectors and has employees who simply won't care... maybe if there was a Kroger's exclusive, I guess.
    Hasbro's exclusives guy, Brian Merten, has taken a job with Lucas Licensing in San Francisco, so that's at least an explanation of why the products themselves aren't as interesting anymore – I'm not sure when it happened, but the upcoming exclusives are super boring. Kmart hasn't had anything since this time last year, and don't seem to be getting anything this year. Walgreens getting exclusives was Walgreens' idea, based on what Jeff told me. Funko and Jakk's Pacific are also doing exclusives there, and I'm sure more companies will follow, as Walgreens evidently wants to be a destination for collectors now. We'll see how that goes.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I must admit that it's become increasingly difficult to get excited about Hasbro's offerings across all their lines. Even their SDCC displays are being recycled. The Marvel castle, undeniably awesome that it is, has been used for the past three years and still shows figures that haven't been made or announced yet and those no longer available. GI Joe is in suspended animation. Transformers, with some exceptions, seems to be focused on movie and child figures. And the "big-un," to quote Ed Bundy, Star Wars, is no longer the wallet drain that it once was to me. My remark to Darkagent, when we were looking at the Star Wars display cases: "Thank you, Hasbro. You've saved me a bunch of money." I'm not angry; in fact, I'm relieved. If Hasbro wants to keep saving me money, I'll continue to spend it elsewhere. Just the thought of the upcoming Revoltech figures makes me almost giddy. Further, the possibility that Star Wars figures might also come from other Japanese makers of SERIOUS figures, like Square Enix if we're lucky, is incredible. These will be expensive toys, but will look amazing. I doubt I can afford to buy too many, but this eastward expansion can only help longtime collectors keep a fresh element to their personal displays, closets, and storage facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I've bought one TBS figure, Darth Plagueis. Only a few others interested me, until I saw them in person. Torryn Farr's a big maybe, if she actually shows up, but, as much as I've wanted that figure for so long, I'm not convinced slapping a new head on an old Leia is a $10 figure. Anything that's not actually been seen in stores, I have no firm hopes of actually shipping.
    I feel the same way about Toryn Farr, that's a character I used to campaign for and now I cannot imagine actually paying money for what they're producing. $10 for a new head and vest, that's bonkers - doesn't even come with a chair!

The irony is how many people complain that there are too many Vaders too often. Greedo was a huge mistake, that character choice was proof that management doesn't know what it's doing, you can't say "only major characters" and then put in a little spud from 2 minutes of a film - yeah he's the "first" alien but that's not enough to get people to part with $20, especially when the head sculpt is off the mark.

As for Leia, if you find one with the eyes tampo'ed adequately, the sculpt and paint are bang on, but the wide hips and ugly cut joint in the thigh definitely hurt things, plus they cheaped out with the ankle articulation which is a real mistake since these are so heavy.

I got my 3-year-old the Anakin-to-Vader 12" scale figure on clearance. It was okay for $12, but no way in hell would that have been worth $30. It's inferior to stuff from ten years ago. Raise prices or cut corners; don't do both (as Hasbro has all across the board, it seems).
    Do you get your little one the regular 12" figures?

"Raise prices and cut corners" seems to be Hasbro's way lately, it's tragic. They cut some overhead in management but unfortunately not at the top, and they cut some folks who actually made lines work. What a disaster.

Exclusives are getting worse all the time.
    Turns out exclusives are in the toilet in large part because Brian Merten now works for Lucasfilm and without him, they just haven't a fogging clue as to how to execute exclusives properly.

Meanwhile, G.I. Joe is basically dead in the water. This in spite of using figure technology that stomps the SW line, and having two well-received animated series (or miniseries) that were both canned in favor of the underperforming movies. For the 50th anniversary, we get a couple of Retaliation leftovers and a bunch of repaints, all at TRU and all in multipacks requiring buying older figures that mostly weren't tough to find. I understand they're trying to resuscitate the line, but the guy in charge of that seems to think it a crazy idea to release Cobra troop builders in larger numbers and maybe even variant colors, and had never even though about producing female Cobras.
    Here's the reality, there's no market for it right now, the movie didn't blow the doors off of sales (mismanaging that release date had to hurt) and kids aren't into the premise at all, they aren't even aware of it, so Hasbro had no choice to shutter it because they are too incompetent to rebuild the market now. Hopefully Derryl will convince them to find the brand's footing again, but this is dire right now - Hasbro coasted too long on adult collectors without a new product to keep them and it backfired finally.

Transformers is the best of the bunch now, but underwhelming. Quality varies greatly from figure to figure; you get gems like Swerve or Tailgate that cost almost as much as vastly inferior figures like Scoop (who are only slightly bigger). The "everything's a Combiner!" gimmick for 2015 already has me concerned about figures who shouldn't be Combiners suffering because they're shoehorned in (and it looks like the big gestalts will actually require many more figures than the originals; both Superion and Menasor from SDCC were built of at least six each). And I'm sick of the remakes. Yes, the new Jetfire looks better than the 2005 (?) Classics one, and this fourth shot at Powerglide (counting the DOTM figure) looks better, but, holy crap, how many damned Cliffjumpers do we need? How many times can they make new, unique Optimus Primes who turn into red semi trucks and somehow are no better than any previous version? There've been multiple times where they've put out a remake of an older figure no one was expecting, then, it seems, as soon as people have been able to buy it, announce a far better version (Springer, Whirl, Roadbuster). They're just sticking too closely to a small, seemingly random for the most part, core of characters to update (sort of like G.I.Joe, to be honest, with their obsession with Beach Head, for instance... only Joes are far easier to customize and scavenge for parts than Transformers), while ignoring a rich cast that includes literally hundreds of characters, every single one of which is at least a cult favorite, and a surprising number of whom have played prominent roles in one of the many comics or cartoons.
    They didn't say everything's a combiner next year, just that it was the theme. They've already shown non-combiners in Legends class (half of the '15 Legends they showed so far aren't part of those teams). Superion and Menasor are built from 5 bots each, the 6th bot is a Legends figure that is used as a weapon or armor.

I don't understand everybody counting the DOTM Powerglide as part of that legacy, it's a movie product and vastly different as much as it is similar. If you don't like the remake, don't buy it, but keep in mind that when you take a hard stance, eventually you will probably change your mind on a few pieces and have to scramble to get them. Then again, Cliffjumper - don't buy him, it's a system that's been built into Hasbro's business model for decades, but I won't be buying him, the mold is good for only one pass.

It's ironic in the same paragraph you complain about Scoop while praising Swerve and Tailgate, yet say they don't stray far enough from the core G1 cast. It's just like SW, you gotta offer newcomers a Darth Vader to offer a skiff guard.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I would totally eat my words about Combiner Wars if Hasbro were to make new, properly-scaled versions of all six Constructicons... who can turn into the classic Devastator, or be rearranged, minus Scrapper, to form "new" Devastator, with either of a new Prowl or a new Megatron able to form the head.

There's probably a better chance of Hasbro declaring 2015 "The Year of the Tonnikas!" and producing them in every line they make.
    Hardly. I wouldn't be surprised to see that the 2015 Botcon reveal. They are out of ideas of their own, and sticking close to the IDW comics which is a great benefit to us fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Same here. I had a job then, so I could actually afford to do what I dreamed of as a child: walk into a store and buy WHATEVER I WANTED, just fill up the cart. I was a completist up until AOTC's second wave IIRC, when getting every figure became madness; I still have not bought a ROTS leather robes Anakin.

I have bought nearly 1100 individual SW figures in the 3 3/4" line; might buy about 38 more to end at an appropriate number. I look for figures, I find virtually none I want, if I can find any new ones at all. I'm not buying much non-book SW items at all. Disney's purchase isn't helping, either.
    Yeah, the AOTC Saga line is where I stopped being a completist as well, it was a combination of a price increase and distribution failure and a malaise from the movie.

I buy nearly everything off Amazon lately because it's so hard to find anything that isn't a pegwarmer lately.

Gonna be hard to find 38 more figures to buy.

Not sure how Disney is involved in your point though.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I've had both feet out the door for almost a year, but every once in a while I peek in the window to see if Hasbro is releasing anything interesting. Since Biker Scouts and TIE Pilots are two of my favorite Imperial troopers, I'm a bit interested in the 6" versions of those guys, but Hasbro's poor quality control means that I will wait until I actually see them in person before deciding to buy. Both look okay, based on the photos I've seen, but nothing mindblowingly great. Considering how Scout Troopers and TIE Pilots have been an almost constant fixture in Hasbro's Star Wars line for 18 years now, I expected more precision and accuracy.

Also, I've read about overly soft plastic being used for the Biker Scout's legs, which is a big bummer for me since I planned to display him without his bike if I bought him.
    And if that wasn't bad enough, apparently the tray for the scout - which is TOTALLY UNNECESSARY - is squeezing the visor out of shape just like it did with the TBS 3.75" figure. I'm waiting to see a thorough review on the set before I plunk down $40, there are enough mistakes already that I can't have faith it'll overcome them.

The TIE Pilot looked ok, but didn't really make a big impact on me.

Right now, the 5-POA Mission Series Biker Scout and SL AT-AT Driver (another favorite Imperial of mine) have me more excited than just about anything else Star Wars related - that Hasbro is releasing anyway. Sideshow's 1:6 Biker Scout and TIE Pilot look pretty amazing to me.
    Yeah, I think about that $40 going towards Sideshow figures and it's challenging but not impossible.

Interestingly enough, I stumbled across the new Command line at Target last week and I was surprisingly impressed with what I saw. The sculpts on the minifigures are pretty good and I like the fact that they don't try to blend the OT and PT together. I didn't buy any of them, because I try to avoid impulse purchases when it comes to hobbies these days. But I'll probably go back to Target within the next couple of weeks and if I see them again I might pick up one or two sets.
    I'd wait for a sale. Glad to hear you liked the look of 'em. I think they're just outside the realm of a justifiable pricepoint for their target market, but I would be interested to see how that plays out, and honestly I think Hasbro must offer a budget bucket full of figures and vehicles at some point.

Transformers have been dead to me since 2007 and GI Joe since 2009, so I don't even pay attention to those lines anymore. It's not that I have some sort of grudge against them, but the movies effectively killed any interest that I had and I have yet to see that interest return in any significant way for either franchise. Kind of a bummer, because I really enjoyed the GI Joe 25th Anniversary line and the Transformers Alternators line.
    Transformers has flourished in the non-movie line, and has a successor to Alternators hitting now called Masterpiece. GI Joe sadly went the other way and died off.

Some people are bummed about the reduced articulation on the 3.75" Marvel figures, but I actually like them better than the overly-jointed, gangly messes that we used to get in the MU line.
    The joints on the MU line were surprisingly hideous, I only have a few - Dr Strange, Doctor Doom (they're actually fighting in a mystical doc-off), SDCC Thor and WW2 Ultimate Cap, and the earliest Iron Man figure - and all of them are cool DESPITE their joints, not because of them. The hip and shoulder articulation is generally what kills it every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I'd like to think that Hasbro could get its act together for the new entertainment coming up, but between their general incompetence, Derryl leaving the line, the dwindling action figure market with uninterested kids and bored collectors, and their meager offerings for non-SW films doesn't leave me too optimistic.
    I must admit, Derryl and Brian Merten both being off the line leaves mainline and exclusives totally dead in the water for me, my only hopes are that Jeff and crew stumble over a good figure by accident - they just don't have an understanding of what really drives the line. Vennemeyer still sculpts well, but the execution at the factory no longer takes that to the hoop consistently, they just drop every pass sent their way.

I like the 6" line, I really do. When they knock it out of the park, it's awesome. But it's hard to get excited about buying bigger versions of things I already own multiples of, and we're already seeing lazy repaints like the Imperial Shadow Squadron set and Clone Trooper ranks.
    What do you consider "knock[ed] out of the park" for this line so far?

I like Han and he's hardly out of the park, he's at best a grounder that took a bad bounce for the fielder, he's a pegwarmer in fact, but I don't even need figures that get past 2nd, yet there's more and more bad choices like Greedo and the trooper repaints that make me feel like this line is going down the drain.

My heart still belongs to the 3 3/4" line. The pre-show rumors listed tons of figures that Hasbro had planned, and the rumors lined up with what was shown, indicating that the rumor list was true – but they only showed a third of it. By now I'm used to the first half of the year being dry and the second having much more product, but there hasn't been much in the Fall lately, and there won't be much this year, either.
    I put no faith in those rumor lists, and as such to me my heart is not with the 3.75" line anymore - when they showed ANH Ceremony Leia and Chewie at SDCC, my response was "yeah, of course, more junk nobody actually needs in place of stuff we do need", it was apathy. Jeff and the team don't get it, $10 a pop for a one-scene Leia that did nothing when we still don't have an adequate regular ANH Leia is astounding and yet commonplace for this line now. There's no connection to what the line needs to do, it's just striking out randomly at stuff that hasn't been done in a while hoping to snag collector interest. Some of the recently-shown troopers look ok, but either they won't be findable, or they won't feel like they're worth the money when they finally show up - but were Desert Wolfe and Cmdr Doom really necessary? Do we really want Dutch Vander right now for $10? And they botched the removable head on Dagobah Vader apparently. It's like they aren't even trying.

I've purchased Hasbro's removable blade Maul (x2), Anakin, and Kit Fisto sabers. I'd gladly buy a removable blade Mace saber, but it doesn't seem like it's in the cards. It seems they've moved this type of product into the $40 Ultimate FX sabers instead, even though those are for kids.
    Yeah, it's really frustrating. Still don't have an ANH Obi-Wan saber with removable blade for example, and they've basically stopped moving forward with the line in any way so they can use that license to make yet another cheap toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    I must admit that it's become increasingly difficult to get excited about Hasbro's offerings across all their lines. Even their SDCC displays are being recycled. The Marvel castle, undeniably awesome that it is, has been used for the past three years and still shows figures that haven't been made or announced yet and those no longer available. GI Joe is in suspended animation. Transformers, with some exceptions, seems to be focused on movie and child figures. And the "big-un," to quote Ed Bundy, Star Wars, is no longer the wallet drain that it once was to me. My remark to Darkagent, when we were looking at the Star Wars display cases: "Thank you, Hasbro. You've saved me a bunch of money." I'm not angry; in fact, I'm relieved. If Hasbro wants to keep saving me money, I'll continue to spend it elsewhere. Just the thought of the upcoming Revoltech figures makes me almost giddy. Further, the possibility that Star Wars figures might also come from other Japanese makers of SERIOUS figures, like Square Enix if we're lucky, is incredible. These will be expensive toys, but will look amazing. I doubt I can afford to buy too many, but this eastward expansion can only help longtime collectors keep a fresh element to their personal displays, closets, and storage facilities.
    Yeah, Jeff saying that the Japanese 6" figures aren't a threat to Hasbro is blind, your post is a sentiment that will be echoed everywhere and Hasbro won't understand why their 6" sales continue to dwindle.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Gonna be hard to find 38 more figures to buy.

Not sure how Disney is involved in your point though.
    I might just hoard 38 Plagueis's.

Disney gets to start over, so they can produce more of the established OT characters as toys (read: more of what I already have and don't want).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

What do you consider "knock[ed] out of the park" for this line so far?

I like Han and he's hardly out of the park, he's at best a grounder that took a bad bounce for the fielder, he's a pegwarmer in fact, but I don't even need figures that get past 2nd, yet there's more and more bad choices like Greedo and the trooper repaints that make me feel like this line is going down the drain.
    They're not perfect, but I think Boba, Han, and the Sandtrooper (and to a slightly less extent the Stormtrooper) are all pretty awesome. Bespin Luke's likeness is a little off but he's up there as well.

I put no faith in those rumor lists, and as such to me my heart is not with the 3.75" line anymore - when they showed ANH Ceremony Leia and Chewie at SDCC, my response was "yeah, of course, more junk nobody actually needs in place of stuff we do need", it was apathy. Jeff and the team don't get it, $10 a pop for a one-scene Leia that did nothing when we still don't have an adequate regular ANH Leia is astounding and yet commonplace for this line now. There's no connection to what the line needs to do, it's just striking out randomly at stuff that hasn't been done in a while hoping to snag collector interest. Some of the recently-shown troopers look ok, but either they won't be findable, or they won't feel like they're worth the money when they finally show up - but were Desert Wolfe and Cmdr Doom really necessary? Do we really want Dutch Vander right now for $10? And they botched the removable head on Dagobah Vader apparently. It's like they aren't even trying.
    According to "Stan," who presented the second rumor list (which has nothing confirmed so far, so who knows), there's a massive backlog of product still thanks to the TPM 3D release, so the stores are hesitant to clear out the oversold junk or change SKU/DPCI info. So Hasbro is just trying to get the product out there at this point and not revealing things they can't be sure will make it to stores, which is frustrating.

The last "regular" ANH Leia was the VOTC one in 2004, and both Yavin Leias were '97/'98, so I'm glad to get this one. Regular Leia needs an update, but at least she looks like she more or less fits with the modern figures, which can't be said about the Yavin ones. "Yavin Chewie" is pretty ridiculous, though.

"Dutch" Vander (or, as Hasbro insists on calling him, Vanders) isn't exciting, especially with a few other semi-prominent ANH pilots still unmade. But his 2004 figure was the first to feature the taller body that was later recycled for Wedge and Biggs, and he isn't in the super-articulated body that all the other pilots have received, so it's very much a "cross-off-the-list" figure even if it's not very compelling.

I am excited for Doom and Wolffe, but I'm a TCW fan so I could see how others wouldn't be so enthused.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Disney gets to start over, so they can produce more of the established OT characters as toys (read: more of what I already have and don't want).
    They're doing that a little bit with their Disney Store exclusives, but I don't think it's having any effect on Hasbro at all. Hasbro "restarted" with the 6" scale and Saga Legends/Mission Series figures, but only because those are new styles, and both would have to have been planned since well before the Disney sale.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram