Hybrid View

Building Computers

So, I am currently working on building another PC, this time for my daughter. I have about 1/2 the hardware I need so far, I still need to buy a motherboard, processor and memory.

I'm feeling pretty good about this build, I found a nice Cooler Master case today for $35 on Newegg ($50 minus $15 mail-in rebate). I had the rest of the hardware laying around and decided to put it all to good use, including an old GTX 560 Ti graphics card.

I've forgotten how much I enjoy building these things. My last build was summer 2011.

A couple of months ago my sister asked me to build her a system, she was going to buy the parts from Newegg and ship them to my house, then once the build was done I was going to ship it to her. Sadly she never did buy the hardware.

Anyway, I've been wanting to do a Haswell build and settled on a Core i5-4670.
    May the force be with you.

Just had a new computer built here within the last year or so by my brother. Don't know all the techno stuff to tell you what everything is in it, but I do know it is a pretty sweet custom job. Has both a DVD-RW and Blu-ray RW in it. It also has a built-in DVR and is connected to the TV antenna. So I can watch and/or record TV shows while simultaneously exploring the internet on the same PC monitor screen. It can also project the computer screen/TV shows to a separate large flat screen TV.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Nice!

I spent the day yesterday cleaning my rig. I tore the entire system apart, cleaned it, put it back together, ran updates and stress tested it.

I also upgraded the laptop and got a BIG boost in graphics performance. My Core i5 is heavily dependent on system memory, so I bumped it up from 4GB to 8GB of Corsair RAM. My Windows Experience Index increased almost a full point in graphics.

Sure, it's a laptop and not really geared towards graphics performance, but it does a decent job. I am able to run Photoshop without any difficulty. It's not a high end laptop, I paid like $400 for it. I got a deal because it was a floor model, but it has a blu-ray drive (read, not write) and does everything I need it to do. I do wish it had more than one USB 3.0 port, but at least it has one.

I have looked at newer laptops, but I'm not happy with the selection and prices. There aren't many offerings with blu-ray drives and the few being offered are on the expensive side.

What really frustrates me is that I've noticed Intel offers mobile processors with better graphics, but the best processors for graphics seem to be paired with machines that have dedicated graphics. What's the point of that?

As for my daughter's computer, I will be ordering the last couple components I need within the next week or two. I'll probably go with a low end ASRock motherboard and an Intel Core i5-4670. I don't really plan to do any overclocking and my daughter isn't a PC gamer. I have an older GTX 560 Ti card that should handle her Photoshop needs easily enough.

I haven't decided which OS to install yet, I have available copies of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    My Core i5 is heavily dependent on system memory, so I bumped it up from 4GB to 8GB of Corsair RAM.
    According to the stickers on ours it is an "intel inside CORE i7" and is "Fueled By SAPPHIRE Radeon Graphics AMD". Properties under Computer says 8GB of RAM.

I do wish it had more than one USB 3.0 port, but at least it has one.
    Have one of those here too, a USB 3.0 port. Also has a MS/MS Pro/MS Duo/MS Pro Duo port, a CF I/CF II/MD port, a SD/MMC/RC MMC port, an Extreme Digital port, a TF/Micro SD port and an M2 port (whatever those are).

I haven't decided which OS to install yet, I have available copies of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro.
    Windows 7 Ultimate here.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection