Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Here comes New York Toy Fair

Hasbro is right now doing the slideshow presentation. So far it's just been Hero Mashers, the customizable lightsaber system, and Furbacca.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

And that's apparently it for Star Wars, ten minutes of nothing we wanted to hear. I'm stunned.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I really feel sorry for those sites, like this one, that have invested time and resources into covering a non-event. Thanks to those here who worked hard to cover Toy Fair.

I'm not surprised that the entire year will build up to Episode VII. I am also not surprised if they are holding something back for the Celebration. But how does the way Toy Fair was handled help keep stores like Target, Walmart, and TRU interested in carrying Star Wars? This event is for the toy industry, not fans and collectors. Shouldn't the presentation have openly discussed things like we are focusing on Episode VII, so there won't be much product available over the next few months, but here's the kinds of things (2 packs, 6 inch, etc.) people can expect?

And I don't collect Rebels, but is Rebels dead? Is it just filler to be dumped once December rolls around? Because I can't believe they aren't announcing new Rebels figures and releasing them during the lull before Episode VII.

And if I have said it once, I have said it 50 times. WHY don't they always have ONE nugget for the collectors at each one of these events? Something that is coming that there aren't even pictures for yet? Even if it was ONE figure? I just can't understand why they can't say, "By the way guys, here is a new cantina alien coming out in November. We'll pass on prototypes when they're ready." One Jabba's palace alien. Sim Aloo. ONE figure that is at the top of collector lists. It could be an Amazon exclusive or something.

I'll never get it. Time after time they build these conventions up as events. "See you at Comic Con!" and then when those conventions arrive it is usually showing stuff that was announced long ago. Packaged examples of the figures already shown loose. Why don't they make these conventions vehicles to announce big things like they claim?

I hope I can get Mosep.

That is very kind of you, it is indeed a lot of resources for fan sites such as SSG to go to New York to cover these events, and for Hasbro to totally skunk us is pretty rough going. There will of course be coverage of other brands, but this is certainly a centerpiece event and for it to go down in flames is stunning.

Management should have considered the run-up to Ep 7 a time to keep existing fans staying with the brand rather than abandoning a whole year of product across 3 major lines - TBS 3.75", TBS 6", and Rebels/Saga Legends. That's just unconscionable, basically taking the 20th anniversary of Hasbro's involvement with Star Wars and flushing it right down the toilet. This is at best an ill-calculated choice, and at worst gross brand mismanagement. The last year has shown signs of the latter, but I never expected this.

Modern Star Wars action figure collecting R.I.P. - 1995-2015

Hasbro's Toy Fair presence is a little different than most companies. They've removed themselves from the regular event, they aren't part of the Toy Fair proper anymore, so they set up this early fan event for fan press to cover what would otherwise just be leaks when they later have in their big retail partners during the show. So now they have big retailers come by in a private atmosphere instead of being inundated with press, and those big retailers will likely see the Ep VII products and presentations.

Rebels I think is selling ok, just not Hasbro's Rebels products, so my guess is they're killing it off instead of at least limping it along for the year.

They think they do make these events big reveals, but they want to reveal as close to street date as possible.

That's fascinating. I didn't know that at Toy Fair what we see was just for fans. I really thought we were seeing what the retailers saw.

It kind of seems like starting with whatever year Indiana Jones figures came out, Hasbro started this, "Wait oh wait to see what we have planned for you! Oh Boy! Stay tuned!" thing. Then they'd tell us new product was coming in dribs and drabs and it would get pushed back and pushed back. And you just couldn't find anything at retail. The number of collectors who moved on to other lines while Hasbro left money on the table is astonishing to me. And I can see how everything shifted heavily to an Episode VII mindset, but it seems more like they are just shutting everything down, don't care if they lose the old collectors, and that they plan to just start over when Episode VII comes out.

There's a part of me that wonders if things are going to shift from what we currently know to more what you see with a Marvel film. The main characters, some action features, one wave or maybe two right when the movie comes out. Then clearance. Then bring out some more figures when the next movie comes out. Maybe even moving to a chunkier, larger scale, not quite the six inch, but more than the 3.75.

I don't know if I can think of a more surprising day in Star Wars collecting. I assumed I would be underwhelmed by a wave or two of mostly rehashed figures. Or maybe just Rebels. Or more limited articulation two packs. But nothing. I am stunned.

And I really think someone in Hasbro should have given the sites the heads up ahead of time so they could have considered not covering it. As site by site lights up with anger at the way this was handled, I think Hasbro has turned a day of traditionally good coverage into a day of bad press. That probably could have been managed by quietly passing the word on to the sites ahead of time that this was a non-event.

Star Wars collecting is a an odd thing where entire web sites have cropped up just to discuss and promote a product, doing the work for the company that historically companies had to spend millions on. You'd think you'd want to work with that.

I have a degree in business administration. This all smacks of a case study in brand management we might have done.

And I've seen the showroom pics now, they didn't even show the figures that had already been shown? Mosep wasn't shown in the display? Unbelievable! I thought people were saying there was nothing NEW. I can't believe they didn't show the things they'd already shown but that weren't in stores yet.

So, since there's no SW news, would it be out of line for me to ask if Joe is dead?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I cannot believe this. This is one of the most Hasbroist of miscues.

Yeah, SW toys are such retail juggernauts that they'll commit to huge orders without any idea of what's coming...

So I guess my big questions are: Is Hasbro not showing much in the showroom for all its lines or is Star Wars just conspicuously absent? Also, will there be any chance for JJL to ask questions of the Hasbro team?

I totally forgot Toy Fair was going on, which is probably for the best because I never had a chance to get my hopes up. Although I can't imagine what Hasbro could possibly show that would re-spark the excitement I felt about the Star Wars brand 8-10 years ago.

Ah well, maybe the Rebels toys will actually start showing up at retail in decent numbers since Hasbro really has nothing else planned for the next several months.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis