Found 6" Bossk in a store, of all places!

Found this guy, along with Chewbacca, Han Stormtrooper and the TIE Pilot at Walmart last week. Picked up Bossk and he's actually a very impressive toy in person.

Some quick photos from my iPhone:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	28560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	28561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	28562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	28563

Last month, I started working at the same Walmart that I used to work at and I saw this wave show up in the Star Wars aisle the other day. Nothing has been restocked in that Star Wars section for months and nothing else has shown up since these guys appeared, so it seems almost like a fluke that these figures showed up in my area at all. I waited a full day, because I didn't really have the money to spare when I saw them, but they were all still there the next evening when I got off work. So I bought Bossk and, last I checked, Han, Chewie and the TIE Pilot were still there.

When I made the decision to buy Bossk, I decided to wait until the end of my shift that day; but I work within visual distance of the toy aisle (in the electronics department), so I was watching that area like a hawk for most of the night. I saw a few people moving in and out of the aisle, even a few standing in front of the Star Wars section taking pictures or looking up stuff on their phones. My guess is that they were checking eBay prices for the 6" figures or maybe they were simply responding to a text message and I was just being paranoid.

Anyways, it's been a while since I've felt this "possessive" of a figure I didn't even own yet, so I guess that means that I really did want Bossk, despite all of my attempts to convince myself that I didn't like the way he turned out (based on the Hasbro "hi-res" photos).

In hand, it's an even more impressive figure. Hasbro really went all out (like they used to for every figure) on the paint apps. The hinged jaw isn't really that functional on my figure, but at least it doesn't compromise the headsculpt too much. Also, some of the joints don't have a great range of motion, but I'm more concerned about the sculpt and the joints don't really interfere with the sculpt that much. Maybe a bit on the insides of his elbows. Also, I've never been a fan of the style of hip articulation that they use for these figures, but the straps on Bossk's costume do a good job of concealing those ugly joints.

Another neat little detail is that the strap on Bossk's rifle is a separate piece of plastic and it's actually removable. Which is good because I've never been a fan of plastic molded straps and am considering replacing it with a cloth strap that will actually hang from the rifle the way a real strap would.

Some thoughts on the other figures. Chewie looked pretty good and I would seriously consider buying him if he hadn't been painted with crossed-eyes. As big and impressive as the figure it, there's no way I'm spending $20 on such a major paint screw up.

Han Stormtrooper looks pretty terrible to me. Especially that removable helmet which appears warped and elongated and more like one of those cheap Rubies vinyl helmets than something we would have seen onscreen during Star Wars. Sure, nobody's going to be displaying Han Stormtrooper with his helmet on, but if Hasbro wants $20 for what is essentially a kit-bashed toy, then he should be able to blend seamlessly into the ranks of the Stormtroopers.

Either way, this wasn't a version of Han that I really cared about one way or the other, so if Hasbro's corners-cutting is what allowed them to allocate more money to the tooling and paint apps on Bossk, then I'm fine with it. Still, I won't be buying Han Stormtrooper anytime soon.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Cool, glad you ended up getting and enjoying him. Are the shoulders poseability hindered much from the way the design cuffs around the joint?

I feel so far removed from this line right now, it's been so long since I bought a figure from it after Darth Vader ended up being a skip. It's good to hear there are still figures that work in it, but I doubt I'll end up getting Bossk simply because I'm satisfied with the smaller figures and didn't get Boba Fett.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Cool, glad you ended up getting and enjoying him. Are the shoulders poseability hindered much from the way the design cuffs around the joint?
    Not really much at all. I can lift the arms almost but not quite parallel to the ground. I love how hidden the shoulder joint is, so the somewhat limited range of motion is a small price to pay for that, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I feel so far removed from this line right now, it's been so long since I bought a figure from it after Darth Vader ended up being a skip. It's good to hear there are still figures that work in it, but I doubt I'll end up getting Bossk simply because I'm satisfied with the smaller figures and didn't get Boba Fett.
    I haven't come across Darth Vader yet, but it's not a big loss based on the photos I've seen. I have had a couple of chances to buy Boba Fett, both times at a comic shop, once for $30 and another one for $25, but passed on him both times. Just not really that interested in his character and never really have been. As far as I'm concerned: Bossk > Boba Fett.

For me, when I first learned of the 6" line, I immediately formed a short list in my mind of figures that I just wouldn't be able to pass up if they were made. The Sandtrooper, Biker Scout, TIE Pilot and Bossk were on that list. The only unmade figure left on that list right now is the AT-AT Driver. These were my "must buys" and the 6" line would feel incomplete to me if they were never made (I never bothered to put characters like Barada or Kithaba on my must-buy list because… well, let's be realistic here).

So far, though, the only figure that hasn't disappointed me on some level has been Bossk. Paint issues on the Biker Scout and the Sandtrooper have kept them from feeling ideal to me. The TIE Pilot has really wonky proportions and some blatant inaccuracies in his helmet. But Bossk so far looks great. Even the minor nitpicky stuff that bothered me with the 2007 VTAC figure has been fixed (leg straps too long, yellow flightsuit was too pale, wrong "gripping" hand, rifle strap too rigid, etc.).

As for the previous versions, I actually don't own a single Star Wars item that I purchased prior to 2014. It's all gone. I wanted to make a clean break last year and see where my Star Wars interest took me without the influence of what I already owned. As a result, everything that I bought in 2014 and 2015 is my Star Wars collection. I currently own 9 items and I'm starting to feel like that's too much, so I plan to get rid of some more stuff before my collection crosses over into double digits.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis