Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    there's an idea that's been floating around in the back of my minds since about 1986 and that's the idea of a "minimalist" Star Wars collection. Basically, can I boil down my entire Star Wars collection to just one action figure? Not one character or one action figure focus, but just one solitary action figure that represents everything that I love about Star Wars. I think I will make a serious attempt to work towards that goal in 2014. My current collection only consists of 11 action figures, so most of them (maybe even all of them) would have to go. It's a idea that seems almost incomprehensible right now, but it's one that I haven't been able to shake in almost 28 years. So, even though I still plan to buy 1 or 2 figures in 2014, it will also be a year of some very painful and deep cuts in my Star Wars collection.
    Even the idea of only having 11 figures is incomprehensible to me let alone reducing Star Wars down to one figure. (but Willrow Hood, c'mon, its a clear choice )

I'm having a bit of a think myself though - I'm probably never going to have my dioramas (if I could even call them that) back up and even if I could I'm not sure that I should lest I risk throwing myself into them at the expense of other things I should be prioritising. So conceivably I could reduce my collection to having only so much as I need to represent the characters and vehicles on a one-of-each basis - as opposed to the multiples of characters and multiples of certain vehicles that I have at the moment.

An easy one is to get rid of my prequel toys which are taking up space in the attic. I wouldn't miss them at all. The OT stuff would be more of a challenge to cull. ''But I like that green A-wing, but I have a particular nostalgia attached to that outdated Boussh Leia figure'' etc etc.

I totally forgot about those Battle of Geonosis sets with the Jedi Knights in them. So, I just went on eBay and bought them.

I have not seen any Black series beyond wave 1. I may go online to get the other waves. I'm not collecting the 6 inch figures.

I don't have a lot of room left to put new figures, so I guess it is a good thing that things have been kind of slow for the past year. I probably spent more on Star Wars books and comic than on figures, but I haven't read any of the books in a long time, so haven't really been able to enjoy those except for the action figure archive, which is great despite its flaws.

With not much product to collect, and my mind on other things, it has been difficult to keep up with what has been going on in the world of Star Wars. I will always be excited to get all new figures that have never been done before, but I'm less excited about remakes. I am definitely looking forward to the new movies. Don't know much about Rebels yet, but I will watch it. I hope they make good choices in deciding what is canon. If they change or override some of my favorites, I hope they at least keep some of the basic elements and make great movies or TV shows out of them.

I never got Seripas, that was the first figure in the 20 years I've been constantly collecting Star Wars that I never found and never got an alternate avenue to procure, I'm not paying $30 for a little figure that with my QC luck will probably come broken. Since then, it's been a downhill slide with Hasbro, and not just in Star Wars, but Transformers and Marvel figures too, things have gone from good to really bad with Hasbro and it's obvious that there's something very wrong. They blame it on the industry and the economy changing, yet toys keep selling from other brands, during the holidays I noticed only Hasbro brands were lingering while others were sold through.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    I remember when I was still collecting at a completest level and every toy fair preview would come around and I would be ticked off with all Hasbro's store exclusives, because I would always worry about whether or not I would find them or how much I would have to pay on Ebay for them. The past two and a half years have felt like every figure Hasbro released has been store exclusives.
    This is a really good point, I hadn't thought about it that way, but I used to get pretty annoyed by exclusives because that'd mean miserable distribution and pricing. Now it's the main line that gets the miserable distribution and pricing, and I don't even mind the exclusives anymore. That's really bad.

In video games, we didn't get any console titles, but we did get Star Wars pinball, The Force Collection, and Little Death Star; all great, free titles for tablets and phones (although you only get 1 pinball machine with the first title).
    How is SW Pinball? I was considering getting it on the PS3, but got sidetracked.

And as for Little Death Star, they did a really poor job explaining what that was to the general public, I think that was a mistake, I hear good things about it but really have no idea what it is.

Now I'm not placing all the blame on Hasbro, as there is no reason for Walmart and Meijer to still have the Phantom Menace figures on their shelves. But if you know there is distribution problems, make your product more accessible on your HTS web site.
    That's the beastly thing about it, Hasbro tasked HasbroToyShop to be an independent, successful business and unfortunately for fans that meant HasbroToyShop could see the writing on the wall and has been pulling out of selling SW product and also out of Botcon, the Transformers convention. So for HTS to be successful, they seem to feel they need to divest themselves of Hasbro.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I don't know if people wondered if I would say anything or even cared.

I bought BobaFrett most of the Black Series 6 Inch. He has not opened them to my knowledge and I don't know if they're any good.

I'm going to get Darth Plagueis when they release him.

6" Luke, Obi-Wan.

The year could have been so good with Jabba's sailbarge, never made clone wars and expanded Universe figures, Clone Wars vehicles... new figures of padme they never made.

I just have no further comments really I think.
    Seems like you've defined the line based on what you haven't gotten, normally that would be the antithesis of a conversation like this, but 2013 was the year we got virtually nothing.

So what DID you get in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by RendarStillLives View Post
    I don't have much to say that already hasn't been addressed. As a Star Wars fan I am miserable and while I wish you all the best, it kind of feels good I am not alone in my frustration.
    I hear that!

I'm excited for the Battlefront news. It's still a game I play occasionally with my two boys.
    Right on. I played SW Battlefront II on PS2 for a really long time online, hopefully the new one will be good as well, although I'm unsure if I'll be able to get it as I currently don't think I'll have a PS4 or XboxOne.

Merchandise. Since 2011 I have found myself being more picky in what I purchase as prices have gone up and we are offered less product, less quality and if not TVC TPM figures still cluttering pegs, re-packs of the same figures we all have. Dear Hasbro, if you are going to repackage old figures, how about ones some of us may have missed and refuse to pay $80 for on Amazon like Darth Krayte. Or if you are going to limit figures to five points of articulation add the light up sabers and blaster features. Even offers that were tempting such as Padme' and Mara Jade looked distasteful, and that's if you were even lucky enough to find them. As JT said, some figures like Darth Platypus might as well be a myth. Ordering online is fine if you don't have to buy a case and you can find enough odds and ends to justify shipping or qualify for free shipping.
    Yeah, that inability to recognize truly necessary figures from the random stuff is a bad sign, Hasbro doesn't seem to have a clue about what fans really want anymore, they had a dead period this year that could have been filled by a lot of harder to get figures, instead they kept shipping the same TVC junk.

The Yoda Starfighter was tempting but I couldn't pull the trigger on the purchase.
    How so?

The 6" Black Series looked neat but for the price and size it seemed like the exact same figures I have in 3.75" scale. There just wasn't anything new and why not pay a few bucks more for ArtFx quality. Granted they had accessories and are poseable but there is little play value in such a limited selection that will likely never have any vehicles or play sets.
    Yeah, this is kinda true, ArtFX+ Jango and 3PO are better than anything Hasbro's done, and they didn't cost that much more than a TBS 6" figure. It's a juggling act - sculpt or articulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    Due to severely cutting back on collecting stuff for 2013 because of price, lack of interest, lack of space, and lack of product distribution from Hasbro, I'm able to afford the new Darth Vader from Sideshow, which will be the first sideshow figure I've purchased directly from them new. I'm excited about it ... but since it's arriving in 2014, that doesn't really count for 2013 does it?
    Anything late December on is the next year in my mind. The fact that you could put together $250 from lost Hasbro spending is telling, that's a lot of coin for Hasbro to miss out on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I totally forgot about those Battle of Geonosis sets with the Jedi Knights in them. So, I just went on eBay and bought them.
    They are forgettable. I hope you got a good deal on them.

Man, it's really hard to see any silver linings in 2013.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post

So what DID you get in 2013?

Ummm. Ideally, that should be easier to remember.

I got Boba Fett's Slave-One from Amazon. Liked it but wished the prisoner cage top was clear like it is on Jango's, so you can see the bounty captured in the stasis chamber / cage.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

How is SW Pinball? I was considering getting it on the PS3, but got sidetracked.

And as for Little Death Star, they did a really poor job explaining what that was to the general public, I think that was a mistake, I hear good things about it but really have no idea what it is.
    SW Pinball is a decent title but you get bored with the original pinball table quickly. When I bought it, I would play one or two games a day. Now I don't play it at all. The problem is, the good looking table all cost money. I know a dollar isnt much, but when its a buck per table and there are 6? tables...

I really like Little Death Star. It's stupid, but fun. They just uploaded an update which should help as I had purchased everything up to this point. (Not with real cash) I like the cute little scenes with the 8-bit characters. My main issue is, did we really need 8-bit Bikini Leia?
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers

They are forgettable. I hope you got a good deal on them.
    I found them selling together for $59.99 for both of them. Not a great deal, but not too much more than what they were originally selling for. Free shipping, too. They look okay to me. I haven't opened them, though. I enjoy getting never done before figures, especially obscure ones like these Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Ummm. Ideally, that should be easier to remember.

I got Boba Fett's Slave-One from Amazon. Liked it but wished the prisoner cage top was clear like it is on Jango's, so you can see the bounty captured in the stasis chamber / cage.
    1 thing? That's telling.

As for the prisoner cage, you can swap 'em, I have no idea why they went opaque since the mold is on a clear tree and there are other clear parts, someone CHOSE to make it opaque on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    SW Pinball is a decent title but you get bored with the original pinball table quickly. When I bought it, I would play one or two games a day. Now I don't play it at all. The problem is, the good looking table all cost money. I know a dollar isnt much, but when its a buck per table and there are 6? tables...

I really like Little Death Star. It's stupid, but fun. They just uploaded an update which should help as I had purchased everything up to this point. (Not with real cash) I like the cute little scenes with the 8-bit characters. My main issue is, did we really need 8-bit Bikini Leia?
    Thanks for the feedback. I've put a buck in quarters into pinball machines, but somehow a buck a table for a virtual one seems extreme. I'll check it out though.

Tiny Death Star is like everything else lately in fetishizing Slave Leia, look at Hasbro's first Leia in the 6" line for example. I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the recent updates breaking the game on the Android store, I'll wait until they smooth that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I found them selling together for $59.99 for both of them. Not a great deal, but not too much more than what they were originally selling for. Free shipping, too. They look okay to me. I haven't opened them, though. I enjoy getting never done before figures, especially obscure ones like these Jedi.
    I think that's LESS than they were going for... yeah, they were going for $40 each, $60 is a good deal by comparison.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Tiny Death Star is like everything else lately in fetishizing Slave Leia, look at Hasbro's first Leia in the 6" line for example. I'm seeing a lot of complaints about the recent updates breaking the game on the Android store, I'll wait until they smooth that out.
    I got a little addicted to Tiny Death Star a couple months back, but either my aging iPhone 4 or the numerous updates won't let me get past the loading screen anymore. It was pretty fun and cute with lots of clever references to the films, TCW, and the EU.

Basically, Palpatine wants the Death Star to make money for the Empire, so you have to build and oversee shops, restaurants, and apartments. It boils down to moving people around in an elevator and stocking items when they run out – simple yet addicting stuff.

Right on. I played SW Battlefront II on PS2 for a really long time online, hopefully the new one will be good as well, although I'm unsure if I'll be able to get it as I currently don't think I'll have a PS4 or XboxOne.
    A few years back we bought a couple PSPs and Battlefront games for them. I would plug them into the TV because the small Screen made me nauseous. Controls were awkward with the handheld set and the campaign was weak but I really did like the ability to leave planet, battle in space and land on an enemy ship. I hope that is something the developers consider keeping. I still occasionally play the PS2 but newer maps would be welcome.

i am not a fan of buying the new consoles when they first come out. The new systems really don't look like they offer anything new either except better graphic. The games I am interested in like Metal Gear Ground Zeroes looks to be coming on PS3 next month and that should keep me happy for awhile. Depending on if Games like Battlefront, Metal Gear and Resident Evil are exclusive to next gen consoles going forward will decide if I actually purchase a new system anytime soon.

Yeah, that inability to recognize truly necessary figures from the random stuff is a bad sign, Hasbro doesn't seem to have a clue about what fans really want anymore, they had a dead period this year that could have been filled by a lot of harder to get figures, instead they kept shipping the same TVC junk.
    i like having new characters. I get Luke, Anakin, Kenobi and Vader need to keep selling. It's a lot like jumping on the MOTU band wagon midway and every one needs Skeletor and He-man or there is not going to really be interest in other figures. But do they need to be shoehorned into every wave? Chances are the answer is yes when distribution is so sore and product isn't moving.

We asked for troop building but how can I justify spending ten bucks or more on a figure that has little or no new tooling that I have purchased dozens of for less just a few years ago? To sum it up, that's basically what the waves boil down to in the black series. A few headliners and a lot of troops.

Then if we do get a wave with anything new it is sparse and released between January and March when retailers don't order any product. Some would question why a toy company would do this (cut off their nose to spite their face) but I think it's intentional either because Hasbro doesn't believe the characters will sell or simply to drive up demand. I do remember reading somewhere that new case breakdowns will be phasing in harder to find characters like Bastilla Shan going forward so it's a step in the right direction.

How so?
    i thought the idea was cool. A scaled down Starfighter for Yoda. For lack of a better word, I thought it was kind of cute. But the Yoda figure looked horrible. It hardly looked like Yoda to me and a scaled down Starfighter didn't make much sense. Is it supposed to be faster or just proportionate to the pilot? I don't get it. Honestly, I'd prefer a small scale Starfighter with an Ewok bounty hunter post ROTJ. That would make more sense to me.

Yeah, this is kinda true, ArtFX+ Jango and 3PO are better than anything Hasbro's done, and they didn't cost that much more than a TBS 6" figure. It's a juggling act - sculpt or articulation?
    There is definitely a balance to be had. As a collector, I like posing figures dynamically and leaving them up on a shelf. Maybe setting up a scene or occasionally fiddling with them. As far as actually playing with the kids goes, more movement is nice but perhaps not necessary. I remember in the 80s playing with Star Wars and having a blast without all the articulation. Something I really admired about Star Wars was how well Hasbro would hide the joints so the figure was aesthetically pleasing where Marvel Legends at twice the size looked like marionettes.

I'm hoping Toyfare gives us more than three new figures to look forward to in 2014.