Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm not reading any of the spoilers, but has there been any news about these making it to DVD/Blu-Ray form? I like my SW collectibles tangible, not virtual.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    So now we know what enabled the clones to enact Order 66 – an organic inhibitor chip comprised of cells implanted in the clones when they're stage three embryos, similar to the normal genetic tampering that makes them more docile (and explained by Nala Se as one and the same).
    Not to nitpick, but why did this need a biological explanation? They answer to the Jedi, and there's a chain of command; if the top of that chain says kill off the Jedi because they're actually bad guys, the supposedly subservient clones should react without needing, um, special cells. They do what they're told, and ultimately answer to Palpatine.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I'm not reading any of the spoilers, but has there been any news about these making it to DVD/Blu-Ray form? I like my SW collectibles tangible, not virtual.
    Not yet. It's a Netflix exclusive for now. Sometime down the road I have to think they'll release them, but there hasn't been any word either way yet.

SPOILERS for the first four episodes below.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Not to nitpick, but why did this need a biological explanation? They answer to the Jedi, and there's a chain of command; if the top of that chain says kill off the Jedi because they're actually bad guys, the supposedly subservient clones should react without needing, um, special cells. They do what they're told, and ultimately answer to Palpatine.
    You, nitpick? Usually you're so positive about this show. In real life, if President Obama suddenly told the military to shoot their commanders in cold blood, they'd probably just wonder what the hell was going on and think he'd gone nuts. Sure, the clones were biologically made more subservient (as mentioned by Lama Su in AOTC), but they'd still developed individual personalities and grown close with their Jedi commanders over the course of the war, so Palpatine wanted to guard against that possibility and needed extra insurance that they'd do what needed to be done. Not that it needed a biological explanation, but I always wondered whether the clones knew and were hiding it (nope), whether the Kaminoans knew (seems like they thought Protocol 66 was a safeguard against rogue Jedi), and whether the clones had a big list of orders they memorized (nope, just hearing about Order 66 triggered the chip and made them kill the Jedi). Remember that Palpatine doesn't say "Kill the Jedi," he only says "Execute Order 66" and they all somehow know what that means and act without hesitation.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

SPOILERS for episodes eight and nine below . . .

The Jar Jar and Mace Windu – er, Representative Binks and Masterin' Mace – arc was a lot of fun. It was almost nonstop Indiana Jones references from beginning to end, with the Frangawl cult abducting Indian-accented citizens to be used in sacrifice through to Mace, Jar Jar, and Julia riding off into the sunset. This was presumably indicative of the fact that we're not likely to see Mr. Binks again anytime soon. As a fan of the character since 1999 (when I was 9), and especially how he was used in the show, I'm sad that this is his probable end. But he was funny and well used here – and he even got lucky! I laughed at him grabbing Mace's saber with his tongue and imitating the animal calls. And the stone guardians were pretty killer; they would have made great build-a-droid figures.

The Dagoyan Masters are the first onscreen representation we've seen of Force users who aren't Jedi or Sith; it's reconfirmed that the Nightsisters use magick, which Mace calls an illusion. The Bardottans are based on pod racer Mars Guo (with whom Jar Jar shared a moment in the TPM DVD deleted scenes), with two distinct heights for some reason – maybe so Jar Jar wouldn't look awkward (well, as awkward) making out with a short person? I loved the greenish sky when Mace and Jar Jar rode to face the Dagoyans on Zardossa Stix. I would've liked it if they tied in Mother Talzin's appearance by saying she wanted to rebuild her power after Grievous decimated the Nightsisters at the end of Season Four, but I guess that explanation works without her saying it onscreen. Even though we've seen her escape through the green mist before, I couldn't tell if she died here due to her screaming; the episode guide says her story isn't over, so maybe she'll reappear in the Maul comic.

Jar Jar Binks and the Temple of Doom was a great 2 Parter. No spoilers.. just sayin'.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

SPOILERS for episode ten . . .

Finally, some answers about Sifo-Dyas! The backstory is appropriately confusing and was presented well out of chronological order, and we still don't know everything, but it's nice to at least have something. So from what I can tell: He was indeed on the Jedi Council prior to the Battle of Naboo and foresaw a great war and a need to build an army but was barred from the Council since his ideas were too extreme. The official story believed by the Jedi is that he died while traveling to Felucia to mediate a tribal skirmish, and the Felucians cremated the body in accordance with Jedi custom. It turns out that Chancellor Valorum had secretly sent him with his assistant Silman to Oba Diah (an Iron Man reference?) to investigate the Pyke drug lords (who helped Maul rise to power last season) due to his familiarity with the criminal underworld before he was called to Felucia. Dooku, using the same Tyranus moniker he used when hiring Jango and at the start of this season while interacting with the Kaminoans, hired the Pykes to shoot down Sifo-Dyas' shuttle over an Oba Diah moon in return for helping them defeat rival drug families. The Pykes gave Sifo-Dyas' body to Dooku as proof and kept Silman as collateral; it seems like Dooku and Sifo-Dyas then traveled to Felucia, where Sifo-Dyas' body was cremated, since the Felucians do evidently have a memory of cremating him and of another Jedi being there. So since the Kaminoans know Dooku as Tyranus, we can assume that Palpatine was the one using the Sifo-Dyas name to order the clones.

Pretty crazy that the Jedi now realize that the Sith ordered the clones. The scene with Yoda explaining how they had to carry on and play the Sith game for now, and that the clones were good and honorable men, could definitely have used some expanding – perhaps to explain that Dooku was a former Jedi and might have been carrying out his friend's orders, or something. But they had no choice but to continue as they were already entrenched in the war and public opinion would have quickly turned completely against them if the secret came out. I like that the Jedi realized that Tyranus was Dooku simply because Jango and Lom Pyke both slipped the name.

It was a nice touch that even Valorum had been acting secretly, similar to how he had when he sent Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to negotiate with the Trade Federation without the knowledge or consent of the Senate. This shows that Palpatine wasn't the only secretive Chancellor, so Palpatine's withholding of information wasn't too out of place.

I liked that Lom Pyke's headquarters was sort of like an opium den. And the episode guide notes that the Felucian tribes were going to appear onscreen, based on their appearance in The Force Unleashed and not the farmers from TCW Season Two.

I absolutely LOVED the final three episodes. Simply amazing. Beautiful animation, strong and important ties to the films and earlier episodes, and and explanations for things we've been wondering forever while still leaving some mystery. While I felt Season Five served as a satisfactory conclusion to the series, this is an even better one – of course, there are lots of characters and plot threads left unfinished by the cancellation, but I'm very glad that these episodes were produced, as they provide a fuller conclusion to the prequel era. The other characters can easily continue in other media if need be, and the crew knows how important these characters are to Dave Filoni, so we'll just have to be patient.

This is the end of The Clone Wars, but it's also the end of Star Wars as overseen by George Lucas. I feel lucky that he's still at least providing the outline for some of the new entertainment, but this is absolutely the end of an era. I can only hope that the new creators can tap into a small part of what made his work so special for so many.

Alright now, HUGE, IN-DEPTH SPOILERS for the final three below . . .

Seriously, don't read anymore if you haven't watched them, and you owe it to yourself to do so.

---

Finally we know what the Living Force is – the Force residing in all living beings that then feeds into the Cosmic Force when beings die, which in turn powers the midi-chlorians and allows the Jedi to know about the Force. We know why Yoda chose Dagobah for his exile – led there by Qui-Gon Jinn, it is one of the purest places in the galaxy and extremely strong with the Living Force. We know that Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan reported their time on Mortis and felt it was just an illusion, though Yoda was not so sure. On a somewhat lesser note, we know how Yoda learns the name "Sidious," which he uses in ROTS – he saw it in a vision in what appeared to be the tree cave (Dooku previously told it to Obi-Wan, who had obvious reason to not trust him, but this was the confirmation that Sidious was the Sith master). And we can finally know what the hell Yoda's talking about when he randomly brings up Qui-Gon in ROTS.

Dagobah was impressively done, with the will-o'-the-wisp fireflies, strong use of Liam Neeson, and copious references to ESB. Some of Yoda's visions matched what will happen – Palpatine killing Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin, Agen Kolar, and Mace Windu – while some will not, like the Jedi mowing down clones. So while it's unclear if it will happen or not, referencing Shaak Ti's death from the deleted ROTS scene might make that canon now; it looked like Rebels was going to likely not mesh with The Force Unleashed, so this might be an early indication of its non-canon status.

The Force planet episode was my favorite, and perhaps the most interesting of the entire series. Teeming with strange foliage, the planet was one of the sources of all life in the galaxy and where Yoda encountered the ethereal Five Priestesses – Anger, Sadness, Confusion, Joy, and Serenity, all played awesomely by Jaime King. The visuals alone in this episode were the most beautiful the show has ever produced and enough to make the episode noteworthy, but Yoda's visions made it stand out even more. The vision of previous Jedi was very moving, from seeing last season's young Jedi to Jedi Master Dooku to, especially, Ahsoka, knowing that the vision of the dead Jedi was truer even if the vision of the peaceful Jedi was a much nicer and calmer place to be. Although we got closure with Ahsoka at the end of Season Five, it was nice to bring her back into the story and question her death and place among the Jedi. Yoda's hubris was creepily childlike and very eerie. The Priestesses noted that Yoda would train the one who would save the universe from a great imbalance, so perhaps Luke and not Anakin is the Chosen One after all?!

The final episode deals with Yoda going to Sith homeworld Moraband (perhaps called Korriban and other names at other points in its history, according to the episode guide), and facing a trial in which he ultimately sacrificed himself to Sidious in order to save Anakin. The duel had shades of both the Yoda-Sidious duel in ROTS and more obliquely the Vader-Palpatine-Luke conflict in ROTJ, with Yoda even later hearing the breath of Vader and his own final words. We finally got to hear Mark Hamill on this series, first voicing a Moraband snake creature and then the illusion of the apparition of Darth Bane. Bane is now canonically confirmed as the Sith who instituted the rule of two – he was created by Lucas in the first place – though his design is different from how he's been seen previously, now with a mask and samurai-like armor. Through his trials, he ultimately realized that there was no victory in sight in the Clone Wars, but through patience and training he would be able to pass his knowledge to the next generation of Jedi and succeed where the Sith never could.

All three episodes made appropriate and stirring use of Yoda's theme, the Imperial march, Qui-Gon's theme, and the Force theme. The final closing credits reappropriated the music from the Season Five finale, which was a lovely rendition of Ahsoka's theme; while not necessarily fitting the themes of the episode, it was a nice way to close out the entire series.

Dave Filoni posted an entry on the Star Wars Blog featuring several sketches from the later story conferences, including images from the bounty hunter arc, Darth Maul, Quinlan Vos, Ventress, Ahsoka, Bo-Katan, Wookiees, and Mon Cala. He also confirms that Echo is actually still alive, and includes a sketch of his new armor. Very cool stuff, and while he notes that the intent is to get people excited about the possibilities of new, untold stories, it's still difficult not to look at these and mourn what could have been.

I have finally gotten to see the Clone Tup arc and the Clovis arc.

I really enjoyed both of them.

Tup was an awesome hero. It made it even more intense that he had no special powers, and though a member of the 501st, he was not an ARC Trooper, but a regular guy even hunted by his own kind, while Shaak-Ti could have gotten herself more impassionately involved in the situation were she not such an immoveable Jedi. She could have come so close to stopping Order 66. Great suspense thriller.

I love political stories. It is interestingly frustrating how something like finances and progress or halt a whole action-war. Now I thought the Banking Clan would have IG droids in the episodes. I like how the Muun vault had design elements that reminded you of IG-88. I felt sorry for Clovis actually - he lives a lonely life for one being so successful after such tragic circumstances. But just like Anakin, I wouldn't like him making romantic advances to my wife. In Clovis' defense, I don't think he was over the top with Padme. I loved the realism as they struggled with their relationship. There's no way that marriage could be an uncomplicated one!

When what's-his-name the bounty hunter was clearly in the picture, I wonder why Anakin didn't try to communicate with him at all? He KNOWS him.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.