Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    As an OT man not bothered by this news in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    It's not Disney. It's Lucasfilm. Disney pretty much lets both Marvel and Lucasfilm run independently.

That's how it's been ever since Disney bought Marvel. They don't dictate things if they're profitable.
    And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Oh - I think I made my statements on this site in a news post. I think.

Some figures that we "ought to get" that we may never see will now include Zayne Carrick and Nomi Sunrider, Anakin Solo, Jaina and Jacen in other wardrobe changes (Darth Caedus, a tan jumpsuit Jaina, or black Jedi robes one - as X=wing Pilot Jaina is easily enough customed).

I also see some prequel characters like Tey How and Cliegg Lars, not to mention a lot of MAIN CHARACTER (sort of) Padme outfits still not made.

This is fairly disappointing.
    I didn't see one come up in the news or in the recent posts, so perhaps it was another site entirely.

Anyway, yeah, it's odd to see DisneyLucas close so many doors on the collectors.

I can't give you anything on Padme though, there's a mountain of her outfits already made as figures and not one of them has sold well, if it came down to yet another dull Padme costume figure or Tey How or Cliegg Lars, I'd choose the latter.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.
    Given I have friends in the industry... I know that nothing has changed how Marvel operates.

Why do you think they're still independent companies and have non-Disney people running them?
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Anyway, yeah, it's odd to see DisneyLucas close so many doors on the collectors.
    At least it hasn't gotten to Disney Power Rangers level bad... yet.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I can't give you anything on Padme though, there's a mountain of her outfits already made as figures and not one of them has sold well, if it came down to yet another dull Padme costume figure or Tey How or Cliegg Lars, I'd choose the latter.
    The thing is I don't want to buy her white arena outfit.

Looking bright and good on the black card could be her yellow waterfalls dress or from ROTS, her silver / purple Senate scene.

I agree - she's either a novelty buy or a "Let's get bright / flashy colors" impulse for some. (Yet they made Yarna!)

For me of course, it's a diorama-completest thing.

Just to regard "my interest in Padme" for a moment with everyone pretending it has merit -

TPM is "out," so with AOTC and ROTS, why keep making her same outfits (even if from action scenes)? Some of her still-unmade-outfits are colorful and interesting (AOTC moreso than ROTS) and you'[re right: I'd love Cliegg Lars but he is not an "action scene guy," unless they package him with a removeable leg and blaster rifle - so you can recreate "before and after" he tries to save Shmi from the Tuskens.

(In added scenes to the AOTC novel, it's said the Tuskens stretched micro-filament wire across a narrow canyon entrance and the farmers with Cliegg were cut up riding Swoop bikes through it. Most died, the Tuskens shot the rest. Cliegg only lost his leg and Owen rescued him. It wasn't much of a fight.)

Anyway, most cantina aliens like Hem Dazon are awesome and not "action scene" figures just like Padme's appearance in her Senator outfit (Palpatine's office opening) and greeting Anakin and Obi-Wan in her apartment later that afternoon.

Padme can keep her mini-blaster to make her an "action figure" and interesting to a broader audience than myself who wants her but wouid not display her with a blaster. However, I'm not buying figures of her already made. Just wait. They'll next reissue the Mustafar figure when the hair-in-buns figure we voted for on this site could be nostalgically interesting from ROTS, as would "Ruminitions" if only that "Natalie's" long beautiful hair is worn down and she's more a girl in that outfit, than in her Senate appearance.

I think most of you here would buy it: she's a "main character" and this would be a new version of her.

TPM? Pod-racers, Tey How, PK-Droids, Panaka and Naboo soldier variants, Senators (esp. Anaconda Farr since he had a role in Clone Wars), and Tiikes since he's an unmade Separatist. (We're sick of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon - and have access to Maul...and no, we're sort of sick of TPM).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Given I have friends in the industry... I know that nothing has changed how Marvel operates.
    Yeah, Disney has done a pretty good job of leaving Marvel alone to do their own thing.

However, if Disney really is sticking their fingers in Marvel's pie and they are the ones who forced Marvel to do things like bring the Original X-Men back into the main Marvel timeline, then all I have to say to that is, "HOORAY FOR DISNEY!"

Am I the only one who gets tired of the prototype by design mentality of our culture? Lizzy McGuire, Hannah Montanna, etc. Transformers Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Prime. What's the obsession to push other media to conform? I mean Spider-Man 3 comes out and there's a push to put Peter Parker back in black in the comics though Mary Jane is traumatized by the outfit because of Venom. The comics got along fine for years but that movie is just one movie and that trilogy is now being replaced by a new one. Or the several attempts to kill MJ off or make her and Peter's marriage never exist because he is more "interesting" to write as a single guy. To me it's just lazy writing and before all the ret-cons in comics in the 2000's franchises thrived for decades. Why mess with a formula that's been around for thirty plus years? I didn't start reading the Incredible Hulk at issue number 1 in the 80's. I jumped on at whatever the current issue count was and went and bought back issues that were just as enjoyable as the current ones at the time. Argue that I need to move on and Let go and I will say there is no argument because I am saying move forward instead of rehashing the same thing over and over.

Michael Stackpole was able to shoe horn Corran into the Jedi Academy (get it?). Geoff Johns (or however you spell his name) has done some really cool things with Green Lantern. Slight changes that made some sense out of cliche' concepts but not like rewriting or dismissing everything that came before. The Clone Wars I enjoy but Darth Maul coming back and (in the novel) Plagueous apparently having been around during most of TPM, I'm sorry but outside of the significance of Qui-gon discovering Anakin, is there really anything that makes that movie a relevant highlight in Star Wars lore anymore? I thought Plagueous was cleverly inserted but it also takes away from Palpatines thunder as the mastermind and badass we all thought he was. It makes Darth Maul no more than an errand boy to real Sith Lords. Mandalorians were once a nomadic culture of farmers and journeyman protectors before having a queen and being a peace loving folk. Boba was supposed to be the last Mandalorian but now he is a clone. Jango was supposed to be special because he was the last super commando and the clones based on him but clearly that didn't stick. They can't even keep things from the last few years cannon and that pattern is bound to end up in a complete revamp of the entire franchise after this trilogy. Either remaking the prequels to fit their new trilogy or completely redoing all Star Wars entirely. Then when the fans are so divided that they can cherry pick more than they do already it will be revamp after revamp like Transformers, Batman and Spider-man have become. The fan base gets smaller and smaller and more divided. Eventually not enough will care about Star Wars as a whole but just their preferred version of it. Does anyone besides me see the dominoes tipping over?

Hasbro thinks kids drive sales, I agree, to a point. I myself a father of five am reluctant to buy my kids a hundred plus AT-AT so they can break or lose pieces in weeks. I asked my wife the other day why my youngest was so obsessed with Batman and not Spider-Man. Not that I have a preference but just curious why his horizons weren't more broad. My wife pointed out he likes Star Wars and Batman more because that is the bulk of his toys and video games. It's what he is exposed to. So I think Hasbro and others underestimate that adult collectors who are parents get the final say and if we don't feel a product justifies the money it won't be bought. Or that we are responsible for exposing our kids to the franchises they want to emulate and want toys and games for.

As far as the EU goes, I love it. Outside of the OT, the novels are my favorite. Same with those who want cantina aliens, Jabba's entourage or TCW. This is how politics work. It doesn't affect me so I don't care...until it does affect me because the line keeps getting pushed further back and pretty soon you don't have the numbers to fight back or make a stand because you've already tossed your fellow fans under the bus just because they loved a different part of Star Wars than you did. I'm sure the EU could have sold better if most releases of characters weren't sold during the first quarter drag when retailers don't order anything. You want proof? Go on Amazon or Ebay and look how Ezar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma are fetching $300 or Jaina and Jacen going for $70 each. Tholme and Tra' Saa, Darth Krayte, Roland, Jareal, Jaster, Montross, etc. They're not worth that kind of money to me but clearly the demand is there and there are people willing to shell out that kind of money or they would be going for a lot cheaper. If I could choose to keep only one figure in my collection it would probably be my Corran Horn and Whistler two pack. I bought it for $17 at retail, currently goes for over a hundred on the second market in spite of being a re-issued Luke with a new head and a re-painted R2-D2.

I hope the new movies, shows, games, books and comics are enjoyable but it isn't likely going to be the love affair I've had with Star Wars for the last thirty some years. There's just no way! Argue that it's always been about merchandise or there is no room for creative freedom for writers but that's what people had been doing the twenty years between the OT and PT. I will regret if I never get the chance to own Nomi Sunrider, Anakin Solo, Tahiri Veila, Mara and Corran in Jedi robes, Vestara Khai or Siri Tachi as Zora. People would buy those figures purely because they look interesting or are cross-eyed from seeing all the Vader's and Clones on pegs (breath of fresh air). Lord knows I would buy a figure just because it looked cool regardless of the knowledge about a character's back story. Kit Fisto, Hem Dazon, Toryn Far, Clieg Lars, Bo Shek, come on! Don't get me wrong, I'd buy them but what makes these characters any more necessary or interesting than Goran Bevin or Vergere other than seconds of screen time?

Star Wars novels and comics are a great spring board to encourage kids to read. Reading inspires imagination and creativity while visual stimuli is pre-set. Seriously, if you read a book and all you see is text then you lack imagination. You're also probably someone who needs one of those coloring books that you rub a clear marker on to make the colors appear and it only works on the image instead of letting you go outside of the lines and use different colors. If that is true then you are someone content to having choices made for you. I will regret if I can no longer read new adventures about the characters I have come to know and love.

Another argument is if people really know nothing or little about EU stories then why not base movies on things like the Vong invasion or Thrawn because obviously it would be something completely new to the bulk audience. I like J.J. Abrams Star Trek. Hopefully he can pull off something similar with Star Wars.

Immitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but when they need to "revamp" and "refresh" Star Wars for a new generation, when they eventually remake the OT with a sixty year old Ewan McGregor reprising his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi, will you go see it? I admit, I might. If Disney/Hasbro/LFL really need something new and exciting and fresh and creative then by all means, start fresh with all original characters in an all new era or come up with a whole new property instead of trampling on the success of what made this franchise so popular to begin with. Legacy did it. Knights of the Old Republic did it. The New Jedi Order did it. Rebels is going to do it.

Star Wars is just a brand name now and our memories of what it used to be. Might as well put Spock in a package that says Star Wars and include a lightsaber and a robe but it's still Spock...or Leonard Nimoy in a bathrobe and a peculiar fetish. Put a Transformers logo on it and magically it's the new Galvatron. When Star Wars gets remade for the tenth time you just ain't going to care anymore because it's the same old thing in a shiny new wrapper that you don't want to keep investing in.

So in short, I agree, what I love about Star Wars isn't something anyone can take away short of burning all my collectibles but I'm too old and too in love with the Star Wars I knew to start over again.

The lack of enforced conformity is one reason I love IDW's Transformers comics. There's the movies, which will make a ton more money, but I doubt the decision to, say, have Megatron himself join the Autobots and (apparently) lead a quest into space to find ancient Cybertronians had anything to do with Age of Extinction. And there's no indication the war (ended for a few years) is going to start back up this summer because Hasbro and Paramount are worried that people might get confused if they leave the theater and go to the comic shop.

Unfortunately, that's the way comics and films used to be, and, like you said, they try too hard to dumb things down now by making everything conform to the movies.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    The lack of enforced conformity is one reason I love IDW's Transformers comics. There's the movies, which will make a ton more money, but I doubt the decision to, say, have Megatron himself join the Autobots and (apparently) lead a quest into space to find ancient Cybertronians had anything to do with Age of Extinction. And there's no indication the war (ended for a few years) is going to start back up this summer because Hasbro and Paramount are worried that people might get confused if they leave the theater and go to the comic shop.

Unfortunately, that's the way comics and films used to be, and, like you said, they try too hard to dumb things down now by making everything conform to the movies.
    You make a good point. I'm not saying the new material will completely suck, in fact, it may very well be enjoyable but take Beast Wars, it was something done well for it's time and didn't step on any toes. As far as IDW goes, I was reluctant to get on board at first because of what happened with Dreamwave. I ended up auctioning everything but the profile books because it was a lost cause. Same thing with MOTU 200X. Still wish I could hunt down the War & Peace hardcover. The new stuff from IDW interests me. MTMTE looks kind of goofy but fun and RID seems well written. I have been holding out for the hardcover collection though because why spend my money twice? But also, the rich characters and history now established by IDW makes it all look more worth while to invest in as it doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon.

I was referring more to the shows pertaining to Transformers and comic books that cater to the movies. People who read the comics are likely already sold on the movie. People who go see the movie aren't likely going to be driven to the local comic book store. So why use the comic as advertisement?

My beef is mostly with all the thousands of dollars one might spend on their PS3 or 360, new systems come out faster and faster while current games are still relevant or have a high replay value but get the new system and having the need to replace your library of games. I'm only going to do it so many times before I realize it is a limited or finite investment. Hopefully Star Wars won't be messed with too much and it's more like tweaks than taking characters or events and completely scrubbing them. I liked Abrams Star Trek movies but to be honest, I didn't care for Star Trek much at all in the first place so my expectations weren't very high to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by RendarStillLives View Post
    You want proof? Go on Amazon or Ebay and look how Ezar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma are fetching $300 or Jaina and Jacen going for $70 each. Tholme and Tra' Saa, Darth Krayte, Roland, Jareal, Jaster, Montross, etc. They're not worth that kind of money to me but clearly the demand is there and there are people willing to shell out that kind of money or they would be going for a lot cheaper.
    Are you sure that's what they are actually selling for or is it just the price that the sellers are asking? Because, they are two completely different things. I can look up just about anything on eBay or Amazon and find one seller charging a ridiculously inflated price and another seller charging a much lower, more reasonable price. That doesn't mean that the inflated price is an accurate gauge of the item's popularity. So you have to be really careful that you don't mistake the prices set by speculators for the actual secondary-market value of an item.

Quote Originally Posted by RendarStillLives View Post
    I will regret if I can no longer read new adventures about the characters I have come to know and love.
    I would love to see a continuation of Jann Tosh's story from the Droids cartoon. After several episodes of following his adventures on the show, he just walks off screen to go join the Academy and we never hear from him again. I've been waiting nearly 30 years for the rest of his story to be told and I'm pretty convinced that's never going to happen.

So, I can understand your frustration at the news that the adventures may be ending for many of your favorite characters, but I also know for a fact that you will get over it and move on with your life.