Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45
  1. #31
    BigBarada: I liked Jann Tosh, too. Also the Speeder Racing Team with Thal and Jord, and Kea Moll's role in the Rebellion.

    I loved and agree with RendarStillLives' post. Awesome bro!

    I think they can make Ep. 7-9 NOT being based on the books, but refer to them as Mara was Ben Skywalker's mother and Jaina Solo (Fel?) once had a twin brother with whose relationship scarred her forever (alluding to the death of Darth Caedus) and explaining why Han and Leia are raising a Jedi grand-daughter (Allanah).

    And TOTJ (the legacy of Ulic Qel Droma) was pretty much better than the entire 6-movie package that is out there now.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    The thing is I don't want to buy her white arena outfit.

    Looking bright and good on the black card could be her yellow waterfalls dress or from ROTS, her silver / purple Senate scene.

    I agree - she's either a novelty buy or a "Let's get bright / flashy colors" impulse for some. (Yet they made Yarna!)

    For me of course, it's a diorama-completest thing.
    I'm a diorama guy and a completist, and I like good upgrades, so Padmé hits all those marks for me. She's just way more realistic than the 2002 ripped-abs version and fits in with the other figures so much better. I, too, want more Padmé figures – they really do brighten up displays that are otherwise filled with tons of characters wearing white, black, and brown. So while I still want never-before-made versions, I'm glad to get figures like the arena battle version as well since they have merit as well. Now that TPM has been covered (aside from her Senate cloak and a specific Padmé in the orange handmaiden gown), hopefully they'll get around to at least a few more of her AOTC and ROTS looks, though that's looking less and less likely with the new shows and movies coming out, and I think you and I are the only people who ever ask for them.

    Quote Originally Posted by RendarStillLives
    The Clone Wars I enjoy but Darth Maul coming back and (in the novel) Plagueous apparently having been around during most of TPM, I'm sorry but outside of the significance of Qui-gon discovering Anakin, is there really anything that makes that movie a relevant highlight in Star Wars lore anymore? I thought Plagueous was cleverly inserted but it also takes away from Palpatines thunder as the mastermind and badass we all thought he was. It makes Darth Maul no more than an errand boy to real Sith Lords.
    I'm not a huge follower of the EU but Darth Plagueis was probably my favorite EU book I've read and I also had the same issues you did. I was glad that Palpatine's monologue while he was killing Plagueis showed Palpatine as the true mastermind and the one in control, so that cleared that point up for me. But yeah, having Plagueis around during the entire time Maul was a Sith apprentice was not a decision I would have made and I disagree with it. I would have preferred having Plagueis and Sidious as master and apprentice while Sidious secretly begins to raise Maul, since it rings true with how the Sith lords operate throughout other stories (see: Asajj Ventress, Starkiller, Luke Skywalker). And it wasn't even like Plagueis had much to do during the events of TPM, so it felt a little unnecessary other than adding some shock value. But I really enjoyed the characterization and story arc that The Clone Wars provided for Darth Maul, so that made up for the novel knocking him down a few pegs, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by RendarStillLives
    Mandalorians were once a nomadic culture of farmers and journeyman protectors before having a queen and being a peace loving folk.
    I know this was a huge point of contention for EU Mandalorian fans, but the show did conclude with the Duchess being overthrown and the culture returning to its warrior past. It was just a snapshot of the planet Mandalore during this part of the Clone Wars, not a re-writing of its entire history.

    Quote Originally Posted by RendarStillLives
    They can't even keep things from the last few years cannon and that pattern is bound to end up in a complete revamp of the entire franchise after this trilogy. Either remaking the prequels to fit their new trilogy or completely redoing all Star Wars entirely. Then when the fans are so divided that they can cherry pick more than they do already it will be revamp after revamp like Transformers, Batman and Spider-man have become. The fan base gets smaller and smaller and more divided. Eventually not enough will care about Star Wars as a whole but just their preferred version of it. Does anyone besides me see the dominoes tipping over?
    But the EU was never the same canon as the films, and the films have never been beholden to the EU. As you pointed out, there were already examples in the films of the story not matching up with the EU, and this was since George wanted to tell the story he wanted to tell without someone else's vision of his universe getting in his way. This goes back as far as ESB not lining up with Splinter of the Mind's Eye, so it's not something new for the prequels or TCW, it's just that there's been so much more material in the intervening years that there are just bound to be more contradictions.

    This also means that there are bound to be more people interested in different aspects, since there are just so mind-bogglingly many aspects to SW. In 1977, if you said you liked Star Wars, you were talking about one movie and everyone knew what you meant. But now that there are six saga films (with three on the way), three spinoff films (with at least two on the way), three animated series (with one on the way), TV specials, movie novelizations, standalone novels, series novels, young adult novels, kids' books, short stories (seriously, just look at the ridiculous number of entries in the Essential Reader's Companion, which doesn't even cover comics), 10 years of Marvel comics, 20 years of Dark Horse comics (with over 80 different series), and video games (around 70 of them developed or licensed by LucasArts). Not to mention the myriad ways that fans engage themselves, whether through collecting (vintage Kenner, or modern Hasbro, or Sideshow, or Gentle Giant, or Kotobukiya, or LEGO, etc.), costuming, conventions, fan groups, or just sitting on the couch and watching the films. And there's no physically possible way that anyone can see, read, and play all of it. The experience, interest, and level of engagement of one SW fan is not the same as another. There's no "eventually," that's already here. Go look at the Facebook comments on any random official Star Wars post and you'll see people moaning about how something doesn't fit their version of Star Wars, like video game fans absolutely losing their minds that "Korriban" is now called "Moraband" on a TV show they weren't even watching in the first place.

    I just wish people would focus on the aspects that interest them and not get too worried about aspects that don't.

    Really though, very nice post, RendarStillLives!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada
    I would love to see a continuation of Jann Tosh's story from the Droids cartoon. After several episodes of following his adventures on the show, he just walks off screen to go join the Academy and we never hear from him again. I've been waiting nearly 30 years for the rest of his story to be told and I'm pretty convinced that's never going to happen.

    So, I can understand your frustration at the news that the adventures may be ending for many of your favorite characters, but I also know for a fact that you will get over it and move on with your life.
    This even happened with The Clone Wars due to it being cancelled before several characters' stories were finished in the way they were planned. So I hope to see some of them in Rebels, or in more comics like they're doing for Maul, or somewhere. Patience is a Jedi trait, after all, and it can still pay off – I've been wondering about Sifo-Dyas for literally half my life at this point, and I'm going to get answers in only one week thanks to TCW Season Six coming to Netflix. And if these answers never come and characters never reappear, I can just go back to the stories with them that I already loved and relive the fun with them.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Are you sure that's what they are actually selling for or is it just the price that the sellers are asking? Because, they are two completely different things. I can look up just about anything on eBay or Amazon and find one seller charging a ridiculously inflated price and another seller charging a much lower, more reasonable price. That doesn't mean that the inflated price is an accurate gauge of the item's popularity. So you have to be really careful that you don't mistake the prices set by speculators for the actual secondary-market value of an item.





    I would love to see a continuation of Jann Tosh's story from the Droids cartoon. After several episodes of following his adventures on the show, he just walks off screen to go join the Academy and we never hear from him again. I've been waiting nearly 30 years for the rest of his story to be told and I'm pretty convinced that's never going to happen.


    So, I can understand your frustration at the news that the adventures may be ending for many of your favorite characters, but I also know for a fact that you will get over it and move on with your life.

    You could be right about the value but we do know those figures I stated were quite limited in their releases. Many of them retailer exclusives and I don't think there really is any denying the popularity of such characters even as far as EU goes. Yeah dealers tend to be schmucks and you'll never get near their asking price if they are buying from you. Partially because people are more willing to pay for the security a small business or third party can provide than buying from some lone stranger as myself. Still, I think the current rates are set because that's what people can get out of them. Believe me, if I can really get $300 for the Exar & Ulic comic pack, I'm kicking myself for opening them. Does anybody know if there is a guide anymore for market values on collectibles?


    i appreciate it and yes, I'll move on. It's not like my life revolves around Star Wars and only that but Star Wars is something else compared to other franchises. It touches on science, religion, politics, ethics and so much more. There are many gems in the stories that can be applied to real life and for me, a father of five, not poor, not wealthy and little free time, it was my escape from the worries and woes of every day life. It's a loss. Maybe not a huge loss but it's still a blow.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    BigBarada: I liked Jann Tosh, too. Also the Speeder Racing Team with Thal and Jord, and Kea Moll's role in the Rebellion.


    I loved and agree with RendarStillLives' post. Awesome bro!


    I think they can make Ep. 7-9 NOT being based on the books, but refer to them as Mara was Ben Skywalker's mother and Jaina Solo (Fel?) once had a twin brother with whose relationship scarred her forever (alluding to the death of Darth Caedus) and explaining why Han and Leia are raising a Jedi grand-daughter (Allanah).


    And TOTJ (the legacy of Ulic Qel Droma) was pretty much better than the entire 6-movie package that is out there now.

    Thanks. I feel sheepish to admit how much time I spent on it without trying to sound too *****y and whiny. Cause I still feel it came off that way. I was trying to bring up relevant arguments as to why things such as cherry picking something that's been around for decades needs to be basically scrapped except for the original source material.


    Seriously, who wouldn't want to see the Thrawn trilogy brought to life on the big screen? Or the Vong invasion? I mean even though we know what happens, we would all still go see it. For those who really only care for the TV and movies, it might actually turn em on to EU and they might start seeing what us EU fans love so much about the characters. As I kind of pointed out, Boba Fett and Kit Fisto grew from background characters with little or no speaking roles at all. Kind of tired of hearing "give it a chance" from people who haven't given the EU a chance. Pot calling the kettle black. It's a tad frustrating. And people that have only ever seen the movies, they can't hate what they don't know even exists.


    I wanna agree with that but the OT is still at the core of it for me. That was my childhood. Pretending the bathtub was the trash compactor and whenever I had to visit someone in the hospital, running around those mirror polished floors like it was the Death Star or Cloud City. I don't know if they were action fleet or what but I remember having these little die-cast figures and echo base that I would play in the snow with. But in my opinion, the tragedy of Ulic Qel-Droma would have made a better prequel trilogy and the NJO would make a great follow up trilogy. My personal favorite three eras of Star Wars.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I'm a diorama guy and a completist, and I like good upgrades, so Padmé hits all those marks for me. She's just way more realistic than the 2002 ripped-abs version and fits in with the other figures so much better. I, too, want more Padmé figures – they really do brighten up displays that are otherwise filled with tons of characters wearing white, black, and brown. So while I still want never-before-made versions, I'm glad to get figures like the arena battle version as well since they have merit as well. Now that TPM has been covered (aside from her Senate cloak and a specific Padmé in the orange handmaiden gown), hopefully they'll get around to at least a few more of her AOTC and ROTS looks, though that's looking less and less likely with the new shows and movies coming out, and I think you and I are the only people who ever ask for them.

    I agree. She kind of stands out color wise amongst all the drab colors. I would still like to see her in that multi colored orangish yellow dress...from her and Anakin's kiss at the lake scene if I remember correctly as well as a better version of her Tatooine dress than we got. The newest version we got from Geonosis was a good attempt but the quality of the paint application is just awful. I haven't found a version yet that doesn't make her look like a corpse.




    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I'm not a huge follower of the EU but Darth Plagueis was probably my favorite EU book I've read and I also had the same issues you did. I was glad that Palpatine's monologue while he was killing Plagueis showed Palpatine as the true mastermind and the one in control, so that cleared that point up for me. But yeah, having Plagueis around during the entire time Maul was a Sith apprentice was not a decision I would have made and I disagree with it. I would have preferred having Plagueis and Sidious as master and apprentice while Sidious secretly begins to raise Maul, since it rings true with how the Sith lords operate throughout other stories (see: Asajj Ventress, Starkiller, Luke Skywalker). And it wasn't even like Plagueis had much to do during the events of TPM, so it felt a little unnecessary other than adding some shock value. But I really enjoyed the characterization and story arc that The Clone Wars provided for Darth Maul, so that made up for the novel knocking him down a few pegs, IMO.

    Eh. Sidious's monologue, immediately that famous Star Wars quote "delusions of grandure" popped in my head. Lol. Don't misunderstand me, when I think of the most evil SOB in SW it's Palpatine. The dude is twisted and truly sees himself as a savior to the galaxy. His love hate relationship with Vader is very intriguing too. The badassery of him dueling Savage and Maul as if he was merely toying with his food was great and one of the few redeeming qualities of bringing Maul back. I liked the book and the character development but I just felt Plageous was played up a little bit to give him more a pivotal role at the expense of Sidious. I didn't feel it was necessary.




    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I know this was a huge point of contention for EU Mandalorian fans, but the show did conclude with the Duchess being overthrown and the culture returning to its warrior past. It was just a snapshot of the planet Mandalore during this part of the Clone Wars, not a re-writing of its entire history.

    Really? Cause up until Atrack of the clones it was supposed to be Jango was the lone true Mandalorian. So maybe the others had been living peacefully on their own rock of isolation but I still find it a bit of a stretch to the groundwork laid out before TCW was even a twinkle in George Lucas's eye. Not impossible but it's a huge fork in the road compared with everything prior. I read Lucas pitched the Mandalore story himself. I can't help but feel some decisions he made were to get fan's goats before selling the franchise.




    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    But the EU was never the same canon as the films, and the films have never been beholden to the EU. As you pointed out, there were already examples in the films of the story not matching up with the EU, and this was since George wanted to tell the story he wanted to tell without someone else's vision of his universe getting in his way. This goes back as far as ESB not lining up with Splinter of the Mind's Eye, so it's not something new for the prequels or TCW, it's just that there's been so much more material in the intervening years that there are just bound to be more contradictions.

    Actually there were people at LFL whose sole job was to make sure things flowed together. That anything done on Clone Wars or Novels or comics was to have the official LFL stamp of approval, sometimes from George himself. The purpose of this was to avoid another Splinter of the Mond's Eye debacle and have a cohesive mythology. The comics and novels were very careful to play nice with everyone else in the sandbox and coordinate their efforts and stories. Before the prequels were even worked on it was made clear Lucas didn't want anyone telling stories about Anakin, Kenobi or the Clone Wars in case he someday wanted to make more movies. It was off limits for quite some time. If I recall correctly that's why Jorus C'Boath (Sorry. Can't keep track of how to spell all the names) was not a mad clone of Kenobi as originally intended. Also Lucas himself catered TPM to kids, AOTC as a teen romance and ROTS was supposed to be darker and for the adults. If he was telling his story, maybe he was just trying to flex his muscles but it definitely looks catered. And dare I say the most popular films weren't even directed by him or had little input from him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    This also means that there are bound to be more people interested in different aspects, since there are just so mind-bogglingly many aspects to SW. In 1977, if you said you liked Star Wars, you were talking about one movie and everyone knew what you meant. But now that there are six saga films (with three on the way), three spinoff films (with at least two on the way), three animated series (with one on the way), TV specials, movie novelizations, standalone novels, series novels, young adult novels, kids' books, short stories (seriously, just look at the ridiculous number of entries in the Essential Reader's Companion, which doesn't even cover comics), 10 years of Marvel comics, 20 years of Dark Horse comics (with over 80 different series), and video games (around 70 of them developed or licensed by LucasArts). Not to mention the myriad ways that fans engage themselves, whether through collecting (vintage Kenner, or modern Hasbro, or Sideshow, or Gentle Giant, or Kotobukiya, or LEGO, etc.), costuming, conventions, fan groups, or just sitting on the couch and watching the films. And there's no physically possible way that anyone can see, read, and play all of it. The experience, interest, and level of engagement of one SW fan is not the same as another. There's no "eventually," that's already here. Go look at the Facebook comments on any random official Star Wars post and you'll see people moaning about how something doesn't fit their version of Star Wars, like video game fans absolutely losing their minds that "Korriban" is now called "Moraband" on a TV show they weren't even watching in the first place.

    Idk. Even if the prequels and Clone Wars had never been made, I'm pretty sure my kids would know what Star Wars is and want the toys. I don't think there is any denying that Star Wars was something different and magical even for twenty years with no movies, tv shows, or what have you. Even the years with no toys or video games, it was a force to be reckoned with. The 501st, they do parades and charities. Comparing it to any other property is really apples and oranges. Hell, people have dedicated churches to it. Maybe my fears are for nothing. Maybe it will be minor tweaks. But I'm afraid it's just another sell out that is going to get a reboot every several years. For me official means something otherwise I'd be reading fan-fiction where everything is up for grabs and most of it is amateur at best. I'm betting no one hear would read a Star Wars novel by me but but that little LFL logo on the dust cover and sell it at the book store or have a movie or cartoon made officially and it becomes something more than just me at the kitchen table blogging.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I just wish people would focus on the aspects that interest them and not get too worried about aspects that don't.

    Dude! Really? The EU is a large part of what interests me about Star Wars! You may not be a big fan of it but I am. I could care about the Prequels or Clone Wars as much as you do about the EU. As you have said, you enjoy some of the EU but it's not a big deal to you. For me, if it's true major stories or characters will be thrown out, it's a loss. Let me grieve. Why argue when it's not even something you yourself are not passionate about? You know I rarely even chime in on a discussion, usually pertaining to EU or the action figures. I'm sorry but I find it difficult to get excited about anything Star Wars in the last couple years. The toy distribution is horrid, not to mention quality control, barely any new figures that haven't been done to death because costs have risen to a point in a rotten economy that they can't justify more than half a dozen new figures a year and need to repackage old ones, there are no new FX sabers, my books are on indefinite hiatus and may be considered obsolete fiction, the second market value on books and toys is bad enough but now it's gonna sky rocket when there is a run on all things guaranteed to never see future release increasing their rarity, I could go on. I'm practically begging them to take my money! With Rebels and the new movies hopefully a lot of that will change but I just can't shake the feeling things will go from bad to worse because they have been. I don't need super articulated figures but the new five point figures aren't ringing the nostalgia bell for me and the new vehicles are a joke. It's a push to cut down on tooling and sculpt to save a buck. I'd gladly pay a price increase rather than paying the price increase and getting inferior product.


    Really though, very nice post, RendarStillLives![/QUOTE]


    Thanks. As I said, I really didn't want to come off so negative and I hope all the fuss is over small things rather than entire characters or events being tossed to the Sarlac, and it's probably a bridge that shouldn't be burnt until we get to it. I guess I'd rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Better to be pleasantly surprised than get my hopes up just to be disappointed. To be honest, I didn't even think posting in the first place would be worth the effort but in the hopes LFL or Disney does read these forums to gauge what fan reaction may be, if the voices of the community are loud enough, they might take it to heart and not mess with it too much. I see benefits to redoing things so they flow even more cohesively together but I am hoping and praying if they do make big changes that they stick with it for another thirty years instead of needing a newer, edgier fresh take every ten years. There's a difference between a one night stand and investing in something deeper for the last twenty years. Believe me when I say I want the commitment.




    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    This even happened with The Clone Wars due to it being cancelled before several characters' stories were finished in the way they were planned. So I hope to see some of them in Rebels, or in more comics like they're doing for Maul, or somewhere. Patience is a Jedi trait, after all, and it can still pay off – I've been wondering about Sifo-Dyas for literally half my life at this point, and I'm going to get answers in only one week thanks to TCW Season Six coming to Netflix. And if these answers never come and characters never reappear, I can just go back to the stories with them that I already loved and relive the fun with them.

    Sifo-Dyas did play somewhat of a role in the Darth Plagueous book. So did Qui-Gon. It was great to get a little more back story on them. And you'll be happy to know I am excited for Rebels. The Clone Wars era just seemed way too over saturated with content and I have been looking forward to the Rebellion Era that hasn't really been touched upon as much.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Yeah, Disney has done a pretty good job of leaving Marvel alone to do their own thing.

    However, if Disney really is sticking their fingers in Marvel's pie and they are the ones who forced Marvel to do things like bring the Original X-Men back into the main Marvel timeline, then all I have to say to that is, "HOORAY FOR DISNEY!"
    Nah. That was all Bendis. And I agree that it's been pretty awesome sauce in general.

    Reminds me why I liked the O5 so much originally. Since most of their modern selves are unlikeable.

    Especially Cyclops. After all the crap he's done like abandoning his wife and child and now killing Xavier.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  5. #35
    I'm still mad that more EU figures (and even vehicles) will not be made. PT vehicles (like the Gungan Bongo Sub) too.

    Also OT big stuff, like Jabba's Sailbarge should be made - with hopefully an appearance in Rebels advancing that possibility.

    I'm buying so little SW, with no plans to buy Rebels stuff, that not until Ep. 7 will I have m hobby truly back.

    Good time to save money, though. I have my own start-up business' expenses.

    However, this hobby is almost OVER for me literally.

    I bought like 2 items last year I think. (Though I bought a good amount of old stuff I found bargains on which I wanted to add to dioramas I hope to build - filler aliens, figures for customs, what-not.)

    I am not one of the people who will "sell my collection - or any part of it" because there's nothing new for me to buy in the hobby - for nearly 12 months out of every year now (yeah - I know 12 months IS a year). But I am bored.

    Did I mention I was bored? (with the offerings.)

    By the way, I also feel bored.

    From my online dictionary:


    bore2 [bawr, bohr]

    verb (used with object), bored, bor·ing.

    1.

    to weary by dullness, tedious repetition, unwelcome attentions, etc.: The long speech bored me.

    noun

    2.

    a dull, tiresome, or uncongenial person. [or hobby]


    3.

    a cause of ennui or petty annoyance: repetitious tasks that are a bore to do.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------




    Synonyms
    1. fatigue, tire, annoy.

    [As in annoyed (bored) by Hasbro Star Wars offerings in 2013-14.]

    Right now Star Wars collecting is dead to me.

    OK - it's not for everyone here, but I'd get all excited by

    Nomi Sunrider
    Mandalorians from TOTJ or KOTOR eras
    Zayne Carrick
    Gryph (Snivvian)
    Noghri
    Guri
    Anakin Solo
    Tahiri
    Droma
    Yvetha
    Siri
    kid-Obi-Wan
    Xanatos
    Kyp Durron
    Yuuzhan Vong army builder
    Corran Horn (Jedi)
    Darth Caedus
    CW Palpatine, Onaconda Far, Bail Organa, new Padme Senator, Dutchess Satine, Riff Tamsen, Trandoshans, Night Sisters

    Xiro The Hutt

    CW vehicles like The Twilight, Jedi "angel fish" transport, Trandoshan hunter skiffs, Hondo's tank and star fighters

    OT vehicles like Jabba's Sailbarge
    PT vehicles like Gungan Bongo Sub, Radiant VII

    EU vehicles like the Nebulon Ranger (Master Arca's / Ulic Qel Droma's) and Exar Kun's Starstorm-One, plus Chiss Claw Craft

    Look. I - am - bored.

    Problem? How much can Hasbro make on the margin producing what I want? (probably not enough with their current production model). They recently adapted it to make Jocasta Nu - a figure like Cliegg Lars that I wanted - and bought 2 of (I'd buy 2 Cliegg's - 3 if they gave him a "before-he-lost-his-leg" option with the accessories to do a "Tusken Raid" scene with Owen.)

    So do you think Hasbro could adapt it's business model to do more stuff like the Brian's Toys Exclusive Jocasta Nu? (I'd start with movie characters we're not as likely to see like Cliegg Lars, an Outlander set with Nyrat Agira and another girl and an alien (possibly also useable as like the Ithorian (Hammerhead) Senator?)

    What about vehicles? Could there be Brian's Toys / Ent. Earth exclusive things as investment heavy such as The Twilight?

    Or new CW exclusive figures for exclusives to make figures like Riff Tamsen? Just a fun (not especially creative - but FUN design).

    The Black Series is The Boring Series for me. I'm not really getting 6" figures either except for compliments to my Unleashed:

    Luke Bespin
    ROTS Obi-Wan

    Luke Jedi - maybe I'll wait a few years and buy him 2ndary market because I want a vested-Jabba's Sailbarge one

    Snowtrooper - I'm really hoping!

    I also might go "Cloud City" with the 6" and get myself Chewie, hope for 3PO, Leia Bespin (some version), Han Bespin, and Lando! That'd be cool. If I go nuts, I'll get Vader, a Fett re-release, and the stormtroopers. We won't see a Lobot 6".

    But right now I'm bored with Hasbro SW.

    Did I mention I was bored?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Nah. That was all Bendis. And I agree that it's been pretty awesome sauce in general.

    Reminds me why I liked the O5 so much originally. Since most of their modern selves are unlikeable.

    Especially Cyclops. After all the crap he's done like abandoning his wife and child and now killing Xavier.
    Yeah, I'm loving the current "Trial of Jean Grey" storyline. I think the X-Men are the most interesting when their stories aren't so mutant-centric.

    I also agree about Cyclops. I don't think it's possible for him to be a likeable character anymore, at least not to me. Angel has been so ruined that I don't know what they are going to do to bring him back (aside from more time-traveling). Beast's physical form has changed so much that he feels more like a running joke than a serious comic book character. Jean Grey never should have been killed off the second time. Iceman is the only one that seems to be significantly improved compared to where he was 20 years ago.

    At any rate, bringing the "pure" version of the O5 to the present is exactly what the X-books needed to sort of reset themselves to their original core values, not the weird militant extremist values that modern Cyclops was leading them with.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Beast's physical form has changed so much that he feels more like a running joke than a serious comic book character.
    I like his new form. It's close enough to classic "Apeman" while still being new and refreshing. Better than Cat.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

    AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    I like his new form. It's close enough to classic "Apeman" while still being new and refreshing. Better than Cat.
    I agree with that. They pretty much just reverted him back to his 70s form with a more modern look. However, I was thinking about all the years of cat Beast, that no two artists wanted to draw the same way, along with the appearance of future Beast in Battle of the Atom where he had a goat horn and a lizard tail.

  9. #39
    You can tell Disney is pulling strings on Star Wars, they are being cited in press releases and interviews and so forth, they are making top-level calls, they are making investments and changing marketing strategies. Disney has more strings on that puppet than they do on Marvel, and how could they not? Lucasfilm was dead in the water, they had nothing coming down except more cartoons; Marvel had comics and movies and video games and cartoons to show that their management was taking that brand somewhere, of course Disney would leave them to their own successes. But the Marvel and Lucasfilm press since their respective buyouts has been very different, Lucasfilm press has had a lot of Disney management voices quoted in it, and not many of those decisions feel like they're independent places that the company was going without the buyout.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I'm still mad that more EU figures (and even vehicles) will not be made. PT vehicles (like the Gungan Bongo Sub) too.

    Also OT big stuff, like Jabba's Sailbarge should be made - with hopefully an appearance in Rebels advancing that possibility.

    I'm buying so little SW, with no plans to buy Rebels stuff, that not until Ep. 7 will I have m hobby truly back.

    Good time to save money, though. I have my own start-up business' expenses.

    However, this hobby is almost OVER for me literally.

    I bought like 2 items last year I think. (Though I bought a good amount of old stuff I found bargains on which I wanted to add to dioramas I hope to build - filler aliens, figures for customs, what-not.)

    I am not one of the people who will "sell my collection - or any part of it" because there's nothing new for me to buy in the hobby - for nearly 12 months out of every year now (yeah - I know 12 months IS a year). But I am bored.

    Did I mention I was bored? (with the offerings.)

    By the way, I also feel bored.
    The sail barge doesn't excite me all that much as a vehicle but I think it would be an excellent play set because it's such a memorable key scene from the films. I remember the first time seeing Jedi and "Woah! Luke has a green saber?!" Not to mention his growth throughout the trilogy, whiny cynic, impulsive heroics, then to badass with patience and wisdom. It was a pretty good payoff to see that growth. It wouldn't be complete without a Sarlac though. At least the box should be convertible to a diorama of it.

    I have always been a fan of thinking of an affordable way to get a Cloud City, Echo Base or Death Star into collector hands. Like modular smaller sets for twenty or thirty dollars. Death Star chasm. Death Star Trash Compactor. Death Star throne room. Just like four sets in a wave with equal case ratios and people could buy them and attach them together to eventually build a large scale play set.

    With the lack of new product, I have been going back and picking up older figures and vehicles on the second market. I have also been using my funds to invest in other hobbies. What business are you going into if you don't mind my asking?

    As I have said, I don't need super articulation and neither do my kids but the five point figures are a little too much of a downgrade to justify the cost. Higher cost, less product, less accessories, less moveable parts, horrible paint apps. I don't understand how Hasbro can offer those at the cost of what we were paying for Saga Blue and Legacy Droid Factory. As it is, I won't likely invest in Rebels figures, maybe the vehicles. Hopefully with the new films Hasbro will justify an upgrade to the play pattern and give us figures that are less static and a ton of new characters to get excited about.

    I don't have nearly enough space to display all my figures and I don't want them to go to waste so I have given about two thirds of my collection to my kids. Mostly all the clones and troopers from building armies with exceptions of some of my favorite takes on some. Some things I intentionally bought duplicates of so if I feel a bite from the nostalgia bug in twenty years I have some in mint condition and some things I even have triples of just because I didn't realize I had them already. I look at a lot of it and think of how I have changed over the years and all the money sunk into it and how I would spend it differently now. It was easy to spend few dollars here and there on a handful of figures or a vehicle pay check to pay check but now days I am more likely to drop a greater chunk of change on something a little nicer and more expensive. Admittedly that could be more about the product offerings than my maturity though. :-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    OK - it's not for everyone here, but I'd get all excited by

    Nomi Sunrider
    Mandalorians from TOTJ or KOTOR eras
    Zayne Carrick
    Gryph (Snivvian)
    Noghri
    Guri
    Anakin Solo
    Tahiri
    Droma
    Yvetha
    Siri
    kid-Obi-Wan
    Xanatos
    Kyp Durron
    Yuuzhan Vong army builder
    Corran Horn (Jedi)
    Darth Caedus
    CW Palpatine, Onaconda Far, Bail Organa, new Padme Senator, Dutchess Satine, Riff Tamsen, Trandoshans, Night Sisters

    Xiro The Hutt

    CW vehicles like The Twilight, Jedi "angel fish" transport, Trandoshan hunter skiffs, Hondo's tank and star fighters

    OT vehicles like Jabba's Sailbarge
    PT vehicles like Gungan Bongo Sub, Radiant VII

    EU vehicles like the Nebulon Ranger (Master Arca's / Ulic Qel Droma's) and Exar Kun's Starstorm-One, plus Chiss Claw Craft

    Look. I - am - bored.

    Problem? How much can Hasbro make on the margin producing what I want? (probably not enough with their current production model). They recently adapted it to make Jocasta Nu - a figure like Cliegg Lars that I wanted - and bought 2 of (I'd buy 2 Cliegg's - 3 if they gave him a "before-he-lost-his-leg" option with the accessories to do a "Tusken Raid" scene with Owen.)

    So do you think Hasbro could adapt it's business model to do more stuff like the Brian's Toys Exclusive Jocasta Nu? (I'd start with movie characters we're not as likely to see like Cliegg Lars, an Outlander set with Nyrat Agira and another girl and an alien (possibly also useable as like the Ithorian (Hammerhead) Senator?)

    What about vehicles? Could there be Brian's Toys / Ent. Earth exclusive things as investment heavy such as The Twilight?

    Or new CW exclusive figures for exclusives to make figures like Riff Tamsen? Just a fun (not especially creative - but FUN design).

    The Black Series is The Boring Series for me. I'm not really getting 6" figures either except for compliments to my Unleashed:

    Luke Bespin
    ROTS Obi-Wan

    Luke Jedi - maybe I'll wait a few years and buy him 2ndary market because I want a vested-Jabba's Sailbarge one

    Snowtrooper - I'm really hoping!

    I also might go "Cloud City" with the 6" and get myself Chewie, hope for 3PO, Leia Bespin (some version), Han Bespin, and Lando! That'd be cool. If I go nuts, I'll get Vader, a Fett re-release, and the stormtroopers. We won't see a Lobot 6".

    But right now I'm bored with Hasbro SW.

    Did I mention I was bored?

    I would love to see a lot of that stuff myself. With the limited EU selections we have been given I am grateful. Yeah, I wish there were more Entertainment Earth comic packs. Siri Tachi and Kenobi in Ubeeze disguises from Jedi Quest, Hondo Kar in his black and gold armor with his wife, Zyne Carrick and a version of him after he becomes a Jedi. Tons of New Jedi Order characters that I think would be great. I would pay but I have my limits. I think the BMF Falcon and AT-AT were well worth the asking prices but some of the ten dollar figures, not so much. Hasbro could always do a subscription service like Mattel and that way guarantee the cost and demand are there but I wouldn't pay unless I knew the entire lineup up front and the DCUC and MOTUC are largely same parts with different heads or accessories. Still, it's an idea. Also I will argue collectors probably pull more weight than they get credit for. Kids dabble in all sorts of toys, not just Star Wars and most parents I know will by treats here and there, maybe bigger vehicles and play sets for birthdays and holidays, but they aren't troop building, buying multiples to have MOC or trying to get one of everything. If Hasbro went the collector route, the kids would still be happy and so would the collectors. Going the kid route, kids may be happy and some collectors but not everybody is winning there.

    I really wanted the 6" Kenobi but seeing the photos, the cloth and plastic mix is harder to like than it was on the 3.75" figures. In fact a lot of the line up looks like scaled up versions of the figures we already have. You would think in larger scale they could hide the joints and do better sculpting but it's like the revamped ThunderCats, the 6" figures looked much the same as the 3.76" ones and I appreciated the detail in the smaller ones more because it must be more difficult to do and so when they came out with the 6" Black Series it felt lazy and nothing new except for the scale change. Plus any vehicles released will be so expensive and oversized, the figures take up a lot more shelf space. I may pick up a Mandalorian or trooper but I think if it was a Whompa or a never before released character from EU then there would be a lot more desire than a character I already own and can pose with others next to their vehicle.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO