Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hasbro: "The Expanded Universe Is Officially Off-Limits!"

I decided to start a new thread about this. Since almost nobody is talking about it.

But by order of Lucasfilm... likely due to the new rules for the Expanded Universe... EU Figures are Off-Limits.

Confirmed by Jedi Temple Archives after speaking to Hasbro at Toy Fair. Sorry EU Fans.

Jedi Temple Archives:

Expanded Universe Fans: We're Doomed!

"This is madness!" "I have a bad feeling about this." Or enter any other dark Star Wars phrase to express the really bad decision to end a very important property. We don't like it, but we imagine it had to eventually happen. Although we don't see eye to eye with Hasbro on this decision, they are sadly being directed by Lucasfilm to avoid a huge and fertile property. Please ensure you are sitting down before reading this one. Click through for more.

The Expanded Universe is dead folks. Hasbro has been directed by Lucasfilm, Ltd. (the culprit in many of Hasbro's bad business decisions) to avoid the Expanded Universe like the plague. Not only is it next to impossible that we'll see a brand new Expanded Universe figure in the near future (we're talking years folks), older and hard to find figures will NEVER see re-release either.

So far there is already an exception. Hasbro has received permission to get Bastila Shan, Darth Malgus, the Republic Trooper and Starkiller out into the line again, but that's only because of the distribution nightmare surrounding The Vintage Collection which have been planned way in advance to the recently announced "No EU" directive.

Hasbro said, and I quote, to "not expect to ever see Jaina Solo or Jacen Solo or any other older Comic Packs figure re-released in any way to get out to collectors".

Sorry to be the bearer of tragic news, but that's what's going down.

On a related note, we will see a huge cutback on the characters from the Prequel Trilogy as well. They're not off limits, but the focus will be on the Original Trilogy and Star Wars: Rebels for the foreseeable future. And just to be clear, this is from the perspective of action figures. We don't know any decisions of comics, video games and the like, so be sure not to say "JTA said there are no more EU comics or video games coming", because that would be a lie. Thank you.
    http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/co...icle&sid=13152

Q: Is it theoretically possible that we get some of the last comic-pack figures (Exar Kun, Montross etc) re-released in The Black series?

A: No. With the exception of some TBS carry-forwards from The Vintage Collection, releasing older EU characters or making new ones are completely off limits per Lucasfilm. From a toy perspective only, the EU is dead for now.
    http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/co...icle&sid=13166
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Do we know if this is permanent or is it just until they get done with their revamp of the EU canon?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Do we know if this is permanent or is it just until they get done with their revamp of the EU canon?
    No clue. They pretty much say the focus is only on the movies and rebels.

Especially with the upcoming new movie invalidating most EU.

Maybe this was mention elsewhere, but they also said that there are no PT figures to be made either.

Edit:Whoops! Just saw it mentioned on the 6" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    Maybe this was mention elsewhere, but they also said that there are no PT figures to be made either.

Edit:Whoops! Just saw it mentioned on the 6" thread.
    It's not "No PT." Just a smaller emphasis on the PT. Since they're turning the focus to the Rebels and the OT...

As they lead into the upcoming Episode 7 film. Which makes sense given the films take place after the OT.

JTA's reporting is absolutely ridiculous on this matter (this is hardly "tragic"), but it makes a good amount of sense. Obviously they're going to be focusing on the new films and TV shows starting in the near future, so if they're going to make figures from pre-existing media, I would much prefer it be from the films (and Clone Wars, when possible) and not the EU. As with everything Hasbro says and does, I'm sure things will change years down the line, but for now (as someone who's not particularly a fan of most of the EU) I see no problem with this.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Since they're turning the focus to the Rebels and the OT...
    Makes sense from a business standpoint when it comes to the casual fans and newcomers. My only real problem with this as a long time fan/collector is that the OT has virtually nothing left to offer me in the modern toy line (in the original 3.75 scale anyway) that hasn't already been done (and/or redone; possibly multiple times) that I don't already own. These are honestly the only OT things that pop into my mind that still interest me at this point: Tonnika Sister Brea and/or Senni, Imperial Dignitary Sim Aloo, Reegesk, Treva Horme, Spirit Yoda (done in the updated modern spirit style), Sabastian Shaw Anakin Spirit (done in the updated modern spirit style), Hayden Christensen Anakin Spirit (done in the classic blue/hologram spirit style).
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

I'm hoping for a sideshow Darth Plagueis... not sure whether he's technically EU as he was mentioned in ROTS.

Welcome to SSG, ShoulderOfOrion! You make an interesting point. How many of the following would be considered "EU" characters?
    - Quinlon Vos
    - Tank
    - Windy
    - Camie
    - Tyree
    - Janson

They've been "expanded" in novels, even with their mentions in the films. And what about Clone Wars references?
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I would say that if a character originated onscreen in one of the movies, then that character isn't EU. If they originated from an EU source and where just included in the movie later on, then they are still EU.

If the character was mentioned onscreen in name only, then they aren't EU technically, but any visual design of that character could be considered EU. For instance, Disney could decide that they don't want Darth Plagueis to be an alien and they reestablish him as another human Sith Lord. That would violate nothing in terms of film canon.

Movie characters that had speaking roles in the film, but ended up being cut out of the movies completely, are kind of difficult to categorize and whether or not they are EU would probably depend on the individual fan.