Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SW Rebels Hasbro vehicles

So, Hasbro has 3 vehicles in the Toy Fair display for us, and keep in mind that the price has gone up to $25 on these but while they are still a tad smaller, they have more going on than last year's hollow crap...

Inquisitor's TIE Advanced Prototype:
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...06-hasbro.html

The Phantom:
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...star-wars.html

AT-DP:
    http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/sho...00-hasbro.html

The Inquisitor's TIE Advanced, I don't really like the design of the ship, it seems too much like a baby Vader's TIE, which obviously it is, but that's not Hasbro's fault (I assume). Their toy has an opening cockpit, firing missiles, and fold-down wings. Oddly, the wings folded down looks really cool and is likely what would sell me this item, it looks sleeker and different while still TIEd to the brand. See that look here: 1, 2, 3 That said, I'm still not really excited about this one.

There's no more angles of the AT-DP that I've seen, nobody was able to get around it or open it in the Hasbro showroom, and it's not part of the first wave. This design is a Joe Johnston walker that didn't get used for ESB, and it has that Johnston/McQuarrie feel to it which has charm, but at the same time there's a reason those didn't get used originally. Hasbro's toy seems to have a movable turret, firing missile, opening hatch, and movable hips and neck, but not knees or ankles, so it's a lot more like the AT-ST of the '80s, but this looks taller and leaner. If they had knee and ankle joints, I would be very excited for this piece, but without them it's likable but not a must-buy yet.

The Phantom oddly is the one I expected not to care about, it's a fairly simplistic shape, and yet it has more going on than it lets on. The cockpit opens, it looks like the aft section opens, there's a turret with firing missile, fold-down landing gear, and the sides unfold to become weapon-carrying wings, all of which has a classic GI Joe ARAH feel to me. See more here: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    I would have liked to have seen more dynamic coloring on this, it's a bit too Y-wing, but overall it's got a lot of what I like about action figure vehicles, and is my number 1 interest right now in this line.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If they aren't priced too high, I'll add these to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    If they aren't priced too high, I'll add these to my collection.
    Right on. $25 MSRP, I am not sure if that's too high yet, it really will need further study - basically, seeing how they size up in person, I think. Those last vehicles were clearly not worth the $20 asking price, but they had nothing going on, they were just hollow, tiny junk.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The AT-DP is interesting, but mostly because of the design's pedigree. If they release a figure of the driver, then I might buy the vehicle. Without the driver, then it's mostly likely a pass.

The other two are vaguely interesting designs, but I'm not likely to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    The AT-DP is interesting, but mostly because of the design's pedigree. If they release a figure of the driver, then I might buy the vehicle. Without the driver, then it's mostly likely a pass.

The other two are vaguely interesting designs, but I'm not likely to buy them.
    I remember a time when Stormtroopers piloted vehicles.

I picked up all three vehicles from the first wave last night at the Times Square TRU. There were one each of the AT-DP and Phantom and two of the Inquisitor's TIE, which I assume is the case assortment. They were priced at $26.99.

It's nice to get new vehicles for the first time in quite a while, and they're all pretty sweet. Quality-wise, they're somewhere between the cheapo $20 vehicles from the Yoda and Vader boxes and the prior $25-$30 Class II vehicles. For whatever reason, the boxes open from the top and bottom instead of the sides, which I believe is the first time Hasbro has done this, at least for SW. All three will be repackaged with relevant basic figures as Target exclusives.

The Inquisitor's TIE Advanced Prototype does indeed feel like a smaller version of Vader's ship. I won't be able to compare their sizes for about a month but the pod itself feels a little smaller and the back half is much shorter. The hinged wings allow for a variety of positions; hopefully they won't warp or fall in on themselves after some time on a shelf. The seat is flat to fit the 5POA Rebels figures, similar to the cockpit of the pre-2009 TIE Fighters but with a high amount of detail. Kanan's legs are a little too long for him to fit in there comfortably, so I wonder how the Inquisitor himself will do. The ship has two green projectiles that launch with the press of a single button. This ship has not yet appeared on the series.

The AT-DP (All Terrain Defense Pod) is tall and awesomely funky-looking. The legs are only articulated at their connection to the body so their display options are limited to one. This is a little unfortunate but at least it means the legs won't buckle under their own weight, which can happen to Hasbro's AT-STs. The feet are separate pieces, so I'm not sure why those couldn't have been articulated. The legs are more hollow than the CGI model but are detailed throughout. The cockpit opens to fit one seated figure and one standing figure, who can also poke out of a small circular hatch. The chin gun rotates and fires one projectile.

The Phantom Attack Shuttle is my favorite out of this bunch. When the hinged wings are folded up, it looks like an intergalactic Winnebago, perfectly fitting the aesthetic of the OT (and/or Spaceballs). When the wings are unfolded, it looks like a distant relative of the lambda-class Imperial Shuttle. The cockpit opens from the mid to the front, and the aft section opens from the mid to the back, with seating for multiple figures (though it won't be able to accommodate the entire Ghost crew as shown in "Rise of the Old Masters"). One cannon on the top of the ship rotates and fires a missile, two non-firing cannons slide out of the wings, and two more slide out of the front of the ship as one piece. Even if it's a little underscaled, it's more along the lines of previous $25-$30 Class II ships than the recent $20 ones.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Ugh, Kanan can't sit in the TIE Prototype? That's not good at all, can he fit in the cockpit of the Phantom?

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Ugh, Kanan can't sit in the TIE Prototype? That's not good at all, can he fit in the cockpit of the Phantom?
    Yup, he fits in the Phantom very nicely. Ezra shakes around in there a bit. Hopefully Hera will do well in there.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

I picked up the Target-exclusive Phantom with Kanan, so my first Rebels vehicle and figure for less than the price of the vehicle. The Phantom is pretty cool, you can see the cost-cutting but they made it work here where they really didn't with the Jedi Starfighters and Slave I, there are still a good amount of features. The sculpting is very nice, even the ugly hollow underside actually has nice detail sculpting. The stickers weren't too difficult to apply, only 10. Kanan fits well in the cockpit and has plenty of space in the hold. I really like the fold-down wings, it makes a somewhat bland box ship into a mini-Imperial Shuttle. The slide-out weapons on the wings are a fun addition that Hasbro made up. I'm glad the huge nose cannons have a stop halfway out, they look too much all the way out for a fighter. I think the scale here is about 1:2 so it's not outrageous.

JT, on the scale of Kenner Minirigs (with a 10 being "sure, it's just like one of those Vintage toys," and a 1 being "Bel-Cam, where did you get that idea?" ), where would you put this Phantom?
    "That's what Sheev said."