Hybrid View

Lightbulb Cosmos (with N.d.G. Tyson)

Saw the series re-boot premiere yesterday; will likely give it a try as a regular show to watch. Weird graphics, but the info was interesting, if not a bit simplistic (for a science-based show, that is).
    p.s. The show has a sub title of "A Space-Time Odyssey."

However, anybody else a little creeped out by Neil's memory of meeting Carl Sagan?
    "That's what Sheev said."

I was interested in watching it and what I saw I liked, however with 4 commercial breaks in the first half hour I gave up on it. #alittlelesscommercial,alittlemoreshow

I so binge watched the Carl Sagan version on Sunday, remembering being a kid and watching it. The new version was not bad, but I'm a religious viewer of science programs (Through the Wormhole, How the Universe Works, The Universe, etc), so this didn't seem monumentally different from those. Tyson's reminiscing of meeting Sagan was poignant to me, almost to the point of that not being something I should have seen - it was so personal. We can clearly see his passion. I'll keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    I so binge watched the Carl Sagan version on Sunday, remembering being a kid and watching it. The new version was not bad, but I'm a religious viewer of science programs (Through the Wormhole, How the Universe Works, The Universe, etc), so this didn't seem monumentally different from those. Tyson's reminiscing of meeting Sagan was poignant to me, almost to the point of that not being something I should have seen - it was so personal. We can clearly see his passion. I'll keep watching.
    Religious views of science? Will this thread have to go to the 'Pit now?

I saw Dr. Tyson on The Colbert Report, and he has a wonderful balance between I-know-my-science-is-right, I-know-your-belief-isn't-valid-according-to-facts, I'll-still-allow-you-to-believe-what-you-want, science-can-be-fun-and-informative-concurrently, I'm-a-geeky-nerd-and-I-love-that, I-can-operate-easily-in-society-as-a-trusted-expert. I wonder if they'll have him interact with other experts on this series, or just continue to be the solo traveler/observer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Religious views of science? Will this thread have to go to the 'Pit now?

I saw Dr. Tyson on The Colbert Report, and he has a wonderful balance between I-know-my-science-is-right, I-know-your-belief-isn't-valid-according-to-facts, I'll-still-allow-you-to-believe-what-you-want, science-can-be-fun-and-informative-concurrently, I'm-a-geeky-nerd-and-I-love-that, I-can-operate-easily-in-society-as-a-trusted-expert. I wonder if they'll have him interact with other experts on this series, or just continue to be the solo traveler/observer.
    I thought someone might appreciate the pun.

I hope Dr. Tyson eventually does an episode on the ancient astronaut hypothesis, since I'd love to see him approach some of the outlandish statements occasionally presented on Ancient Aliens, another show I watch pseudo-religiously, along with the myriad other programs that tend to copy its "aliens are everywhere" stance.

Second episode was, IMHO, better than the first. The Hall of Extinctions was interesting, his comments about evolution having a spiritual aspect were strong but not accusatory, exploring below and around Titan was cool, and the split-screen eyesight part was great.