Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I was surprised in myself being able to name some of the terms that came up in this episode. I feel dumb; I just discovered that the show is somewhat based on Sagan's book called [wait for it...] Cosmos. This is by far my favorite new show of the season, and I hope that it remains, whether or not the ratings are strong.
    Not certain if it'll be back or not for a second season. From what I've read I've been getting the impression that this may have always been intended as a "one and done" season type show like the original Cosmos. Not certain how well its been doing ratings wise, but I can't imagine it being too high. The Sunday premieres on Fox were/are competing with The Walking Dead/Game of Thrones and the Monday re-airs are on National Geographic Channel at the same time as The Voice, Mike & Molly, The Following, etc.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Lead. That was the subject of last night's episode. Who'd have thought that a scientist (actually, an assistant, IIRC) trying to figure out the age of the earth would eventually lead (say: leed) to the reduction of lead (say: led) in the country. Couldn't even test without getting messed-up results until creating a clean room that has NO lead anywhere. Very interesting show.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I really liked this past one (was that Marlee Matlin as the voice of the female astronomer?), with some mythology, some history, some star science.

was that Marlee Matlin as the voice of the female astronomer?
    Yes, yes it was. And Kirsten Dunst was the voice of Cecilia Payne.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

Really liked this one: ice ages, continental drift, extinctions. By the end of it, the "mystery" of the as-yet named next wing of the Hall of Extinctions seems interesting.

By the end of it, the "mystery" of the as-yet named next wing of the Hall of Extinctions seems interesting.
    Only until you realize there is probably a good chance it'll include us.

True, but NDT's point was would we cause it or actually be it? Sadly, I'd vote for both.

I think I've posted it before, but this most recent one may be my favorite episode (so far). Early scientist put down by a jealous lesser who happens to be more notable at the time, who doesn't understand "the math" but still gets people to understand concepts.

who doesn't understand "the math" but still gets people to understand concepts.
    That probably explains me best. I love science and have an easy time grasping/understanding the actual concepts and theories logically and can even visually perceive them, but doing "the actual math" that proves said concepts and theories... it always throws me because its way, way over my head. Logs, irrational numbers... oy. Just too much for me.

No surprise, but this week's was a "climate change is real" episode. Handled well, IMHO, but some may take it as somewhat defensive. I really liked how they interspersed Venus' climate details. I did NOT know that Russia landed a probe on Venus' surface to take photos before it melted in the heat.

Next week: last episode, AND the Blu-Ray/DVD comes out Tue. 6/10. I am pretty sure I'll pick up the season, but will FOX or Nat. Geo. do the same for future years?