Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sideshow R2-D2 1:6 deluxe figure

Well, this was a lively and lovely pre-May the 4th surprise...
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2014/0...luxe-16-r2-d2/

I think the only thing missing for an OT R2 here would be the saw, scanner, and head arms, and I'm hoping that they're just holding back on some of those (the saw's door is open and shows the utility port detailing, so a saw attachment should be cake).

I'm guessing over $100, but I'm hoping under $150 and this could very well be my next Sideshow purchase after a long dry-spell.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

If they will make the black Imperial R2-Q5 I'm in

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...c/c1/R-2Q5.jpg
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

I cannot imagine them not making as many as collectors will buy, but within what timeframe? I bet they'll milk it for years.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I might buy this to have R2 to go with my sequel figures as SideShow will no doubt make Jaina and Ben Skywalker, etc. and surely R2 may stay with the "Old Luke" figure that's forthcoming.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Sideshow's finished version gallery is up:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/2015/0...-collectibles/

I might cancel my order, even with the loss of 29 points, because this thing looks nowhere near as good as it was supposed to and it's going to ship at close to $150 for me. The seams all over the dome and the middling paint are bad enough, but it's that total misfired middle leg that is breaking my heart, and no photos I've seen of the final version have a halfway pose which is worrisome. The total lack of shine on the dome is a close second on why I'm not feeling this as much.

Still, it's likely to be pretty much my last Star Wars purchase of note, and it does have a lot of tools and features, so maybe I'll stick around.

SW.com has some unboxing pics:
    http://www.starwars.com/news/sidesho...a-better-r2-d2

Rebelscum also has a preview gallery and it's far, far less flattering:
    http://www.rebelscum.com/2015/Sidesh...ew/default.asp
    (Also, geez, those Sideshow figures don't hold up so well over time, but they didn't cost $200 a pop either.)

YodasNews has a few quick-n-dirty shots:
    http://www.yodasnews.com/sideshow-co...-quick-images/

The Rebelscum shots look amazing. I like these figures.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Interesting. So what are you looking for in a R2-D2 at this price and scale?

Me? I just like the pictures. If I need another 1/6th scale R2 to display with 1/6th TFA figures, I'll hunt for old Hasbro ones.

I think for someone whose never owned an R2, this might work, but is still overpriced.

R2 arrived today. I almost had to send him back because the charging port door's glue that holds the metal plate on stuck to the body and the door wouldn't open with the strongest magnet I had. Luckily, instead of using a knife I noticed the plastic tabs separating the batteries were thin and wedged one into the seam, it didn't want to go and I nearly gave up but tried one last time at an odd angle and it popped open... to reveal there's no way to attach the saw blade within. WHAT THE HECK IS THE POINT OF THAT, SIDESHOW?!? That is for sure the door where the sawblade comes out in ROTJ, I played it back, there it is, yet couldn't even sculpt a hole in the existing holes you have here?? That's a weird one considering how much you put in.

Anyway, this is the exclusive version with the extra tools, you wouldn't know it from the packaging that sports no exclusive sticker and NO TEXT AT ALL aside from the character name and branding. Inside the gatefold box lid? Just the Star Wars logo and the figure name. What an oddity, I've been out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of grandeur.

Overall first impressions because it's late:
    - the overall sculpt is very nice.
    - the paint isn't a home run but lands some fairly decent notes.
    - the ankles are pretty weak, I won't be surprised to find 2-legged mode face down some day.
    - the blue dome panels should be shiny and aren't.
    - 3 of the seams on the dome are noticeable in regular light, not horrible but not ideal; the 4th seam, left of the main eye, is thankfully the one that isn't.
    - there's a lot of intentional weathering, but a little paint slop too.
    - the scanner isn't nearly long enough and doesn't stay up on its own.
    - the periscope isn't long enough and is challenging to keep staying upright.
    - some of the panels flop open easily, others don't.
    - all 3 holoprojector ball-joint eye things move in their ball sockets.
    - the instructions don't mention how to get the head off, and it's a little tricky because it doesn't separate at the base of the dome but at the top of the blue line.
    - the lights look good but flash way too quickly and I don't think the pattern on the rear data display is remotely movie-accurate as it scans left to right in 4 steps.
    - the touch panel for the lights will get touched by accident quite a lot. A LOT. The second press turns on the holoprojector eye and leaves everything else unchanged.
    - there's a lot of small sprue points left out, the ones on the ball-joint eyes are frustrating.
    - the center leg design is entirely frustrating and I don't know why they went with what they did. It's all or nothing with the leg, when retracted you press it in slightly and drops down to its stop points at the bottom, far past where you've ever seen it in the movies. There is no stop anywhere, no friction, so you can't partly retract it and have that bear weight. You can fudge it so it's kinda wedged slightly into a position you like, but that's tenuous. It looks good partly retracted, but the cylinders around the middle leg angle are too long. The middle foot is also too tall or something, the sculpt on this whole leg is like a Hasbro level of mistakes, lots of weird little half-assed things when the rest of the bot looks so good.
    - the main eye is a smoke-translucent clear dome which looks very nice and gives depth.
    - if you can live with the middle leg extension being wrong, R2 rolls well.
    - the lightsaber panel is both clever and irritating - clever because it retracts in and slides sideways (in the movie it slides up, but that's patently stupid considering he was JUST using another tool out the center moments before), irritating because the spring is so strong it's impossible to keep open without snapping closed over the lightsaber (there's a weak spring inside the cavity so you can fully store and hide the saber).
    - the wires on the feet look good, not quite brassy enough in color perhaps but quite a good look overall, that said they are fairly inflexible.
    - the wheels should show somehow. I know it's more realistic to not do this, but somehow the feet sitting so close to the ground looks wrong. Also, I want the ridged panels seen on the bottom of his feet in ANH.
    - the table's greebles are way oversized in scale, while Leia is somewhat underscale. The removable plug is fun, and even though the light isn't even, it's still neat. The table color is too dark too, the movie version is off-white.
    - the front data displays to the right of the main eye have white LEDs that cause the painted area a small amount of bleed, but hold the line pretty well.
    - oh jeez, I stayed up way too late writing this.
    - the removable shoulder panels are justified since ROTJ alone had a few swaps in my brief samples, and while pulling them out feels like something could break, overall it doesn't seem like they will.
    - I didn't fuss with the drink setup much, the arm is articulated pretty well but feels fragile for that.
    - the sculpted panels don't look quite as much like the movable panels on the body.
    - the sliding arms inside the panels are a clever idea, but the right one on mine slides down on its own.

Mine has a small gap in the body seam on the left side, causing the dome to be ever so slightly more loose and oddly the left hip to be tight, with the panel under the leg to be a touch loose - this gap is not on the other samples I've seen out there, but it's small enough that I may not try to send it back.

Overall, there's a lot to like here and were it under $100 it'd be bulletproof, but it's $150 so it's open to a lot more close scrutiny. It's not a home run because the dome seams and less-than-ideal metallic paint coupled with a few smaller issues; the loose ankles and the overall center leg design mistake leaves me frustrated. But it's not suffering near the bottom either, it's stronger than a C grade for sure.