Hybrid View

Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

I wanted there to be a thread to discuss this story individually.

I was very impressed with the first issue and Darth Tyranus' meeting with Darth Maul. Great dynamic.

I am very eager for the next installment of this title and still very miffed that Dark Horse will no longer be doing the Star Wars comics after 2014! Grrrrr!

Dark Horse has been so talented with bringing great stories to life!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I finally picked up the first issue a few days ago (it was sold out at the comic shops I visited). As with many first episodes in a four-part arc, it felt mostly like setup, but it was still quite intriguing. Dooku wants Maul's underworld contacts (uh, didn't he just deal with the Pykes in Season Six?) and Sidious wants to defeat Mother Talzin, so presumably those were the plans that Sidious mentioned as he beat Maul on Mandalore in Season Five. I liked that the Hutts have already defected – they ain't got time for this.

It is pretty frustrating that the fight between Maul and Grievous lasted all of three panels. That duel, and the Mandalorians vs. droid army fight that surrounded it, would have looked amazing in animated form.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I wanted there to be a thread to discuss this story individually.

I was very impressed with the first issue and Darth Tyranus' meeting with Darth Maul. Great dynamic.

I am very eager for the next installment of this title and still very miffed that Dark Horse will no longer be doing the Star Wars comics after 2014! Grrrrr!

Dark Horse has been so talented with bringing great stories to life!
    Well, remember that this is all based on the scripts and character designs from The Clone Wars TV team, so Dark Horse only adapted it and drew the artwork. The story is 100% Lucasfilm Animation, and the possibility remains that Marvel will pick up the other lost Clone Wars stories eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds
    Darth T also met Maul in the book Darth Plagueis.
    Does he? I don't think that actually happened. I don't remember it, anyway. In the novel, Sidious kills Plagueis around the time that Obi-Wan defeats Maul, and Dooku/Tyranus wasn't involved in much Sith business before that point.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Does he? I don't think that actually happened. I don't remember it, anyway. In the novel, Sidious kills Plagueis around the time that Obi-Wan defeats Maul, and Dooku/Tyranus wasn't involved in much Sith business before that point.
    I do recall that Plagueis mentions to Sidious that he knows about Sidious' trainee; but I don't know if Maul actually meets Plagueis in the book.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I do recall that Plagueis mentions to Sidious that he knows about Sidious' trainee; but I don't know if Maul actually meets Plagueis in the book.
    Right, but JJB was talking about Maul meeting Tyranus/Dooku, not about Maul meeting Plagueis. Plagueis at least knows about Maul – he sees their "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at last we will have revenge" discussion and comments on his double-bladed lightsaber, I know, but I don't remember if they meet face-to-face (I'm thinking not). And again, I don't think Dooku and Maul meet in the novel at all.

Anyway, this comic does seem to alter how Palpatine came to meet Maul. In the Plagueis novel, Maul's mother gives Maul to Palpatine as an infant. Here Maul is specifically stated to be a gift from Mother Talzin (for what reason, it doesn't say) and depicted as a child here, though whether that's necessarily their first meeting could be debated. Previously in the never-canon Tales, Palpatine met Maul as a young child and later gave him the "Sith tattoos," though TCW has since established the markings as Nightbrother tattoos.

You're right; got my "Darths" mixed up.
    Since Dathomir witches can weave spells, it'll just end up as a dream/false memory, I'd wager.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Darth T also met Maul in the book Darth Plagueis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Yup, except Maul isn't a Sith, he's just a dude somewhat trained in the Sith arts but mainly he's just a brute killer.

Yup. Palpatine lied to him and named him "Darth."

There was also this guy who cleaned the Senate bathrooms, and Palpatine told HIM he was "Darth Custodious."

Yeah.

But Darth Custodious died in a trash compactor accident. Rumor has it that a dianoga was involved.

I argue with my friend that "the Force" created Anakin as a response to Plagueis' alchemy experiments (or if Plagueis actually created Anakin deliberately) - and then Palpatine got rid of him by making Shmi fall into slavery. Then used Anakin later on.

But Dooku (Tyranus) was his ideal apprentice to set up the Clone Wars until Dooku was too much of a threat and it appeared Anakin could be subverted. So Palpatine had Anakin take Dooku out.

I had hoped that Palpatine got Maul tattooed, so the public would never accept him as Emperor if Maul could even challenge his master.

That would make sense since Maul was a child and would take the tattoos without question, not realizing it barred him from public office.

Palpatine as Chancellor / Emperor hid that he was Darth Sidious.

Maul could not hide that he was Sith. (allegedly)

Dooku was more dangerous, because few call him Tyranus. He was this huge political leader.

They don't know. But we do. We've got access to privileged information!

That's right folks! I'm hear with Captain Morgan of the New Re-Public-Drunkeness!

Uh-oh. I better stop posting! It's getting to be that point...when....yeah. You know. Call security!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Issue 2 was released last Wednesday. The story progressed intriguingly, with – SPOILER ALERT – Maul and his forces apprehending Dooku and Grievous. Obviously Dooku and Grievous will survive and escape custody, but I'm curious to see how. Yet again, this would have been amazing to see animated, particularly Dooku against the Nightbrothers.

This sounds like a fun "What If?" story.
    Tommy, close your eyes.