Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible new "micros" coming?

Given the content of this article and the variations of the Enterprise and Vengeance that the Hot Wheels line has produced recently (like them or not), is there a possibility that we may be seeing some Hot Wheels-sized ships coming out in the future?

Might be a semi-satisfying stand-in for the Titanium line (my hands-down fave)

Ross
    Great Traders - cloneemperor, Val Da Car, Kidhuman
    Sorely Missed - R2Dee2 & Vulcantouch

Ok, so it didn't take much digging, but I may have answered my own question. And if this is indeed the answer, it's most disappointing.

2 more Hot Wheels cars revealed

Ross

Hey Ross, long time no see! Yeah, sorry about the bad news on that, it's basically a new take on the Disney parks cars that look like characters. Hasbro still as a death-grip on the mini-vehicles license, one which needs to be freed and given to someone who can actually deliver.

There's also a picture of Vader-car out there, same idea.

And then Disney Parks also has Cars characters as Star Wars characters! So now we have 3 different die-cast Hot Wheels-style lines and still ZERO Micro Machines/Titanium Series for Star Wars.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

*blech*

That just sickens me. You're right about Hasbro needing to relinquish the license for the smaller vehicles. While the Hot Wheels versions of the Trek ships weren't terrible (actually pretty good after some modifications), they were at least something.

Well, here's to hoping!

Ross

Mattel even released a New Coke Trek Enterprise in their regular $1 Hot Wheels line, and still Hasbro says this market still isn't possible. It's possible, just not with Hasbro's overhead or leadership. I know the actual team would like to do another line, but they can't make the budget work long enough to find the market.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Are you referring to the recent-ish Abrams Enterprise release in the Hot Wheels line? If so, that one was actually "released" 3 times. First with a "regular" version, which was pretty difficult to find (unless you shop Dollar General/Family Dollar for such things). Then there was the later release of the "battle damaged" version, which was much easier to come across. Finally, there was the "deluxe movie" version, which was just the first version with slightly better packaging and a paint job that I outstripped easily. Pics below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2802.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	28338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hot Wheels Imagination Star Trek USS Enterprise battle damaged photo.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	28339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hot Wheels Retro Entertainment Star Trek USS Enterprise packaging.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	28340

This year, Mattel released the Vengeance in the same $1 line and it is hands-down the star of the Trek/Hot Wheels/$1 line.

Name:	Star Trek Hot Wheels USS Vengeance small 2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	28341

In the end, they're decent...not great, but not terrible. If you have a Dremel, some paint and some patience, they can be downright nice.

Either way, even if you take out the rabid Hot Wheels "enthusiasts", there appears to be a good-sized market for 2-3" space ships. For Hasbro to even hint that "there isn't a market" is laughable. (or soul-crushing, whichever you prefer )

Ross

Those are what I meant. I have the battle-damaged one because I like having it on fire. They're ok for a buck, you know? If I had been a kid and these had been from '80s Trek movies, I would have bought piles of these, year after year I'd have bought the same ones over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Those are what I meant. I have the battle-damaged one because I like having it on fire.
    HAHAHAHA...i completely understand...one of the guys I work with, who is a dyed-in-the-wool Trek fan, holds his nose and tolerates the new Abrams version...refers to it as Starbucks Trek...

They're ok for a buck, you know? If I had been a kid and these had been from '80s Trek movies, I would have bought piles of these, year after year I'd have bought the same ones over and over.
    To be perfectly honest, I DID buy a pile, albeit a small one, mostly for customization and re-painting purposes. I just wasn't satisfied at all with the paint jobs on any of the Enterprise iterations.

Will post a pic if anyone's interested.

Cheers!

Ross

Definitely post those custom pics, even if it is "New Coke Trek" as I've been calling it. Sounds like your coworker is a good fellow.

Sounds like your coworker is a good fellow.
    hahaha...yes indeed...

Definitely post those custom pics, even if it is "New Coke Trek" as I've been calling it.
    You asked, so here they are. I should probably start by saying that when I began, the two ships were identical...both the "battle damaged" versions. The changes I made are pretty superficial. Mostly paint.

Here's the view from the top:

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	28351 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 5.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	28352

From the underside. Mostly just paint detail to cover the Hot Wheels lot stamp and the licensing markers. Some detail around the rim of the saucer and navigation lights.

Name:	photo 6.jpg 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	28353 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	28354 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	28355

This last one is the only modification that required anything other than paint. I used my Dremel and ground down (though not very well) the rivet holes to smooth them out, then I painted them. In retrospect, I should have used some putty or something to finish the hull, but ah well. Maybe next time.

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	28356

Criticism/suggestions welcomed!

Ross