Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
    I fear a new Battlestar Galactica line of toys as I was personally shot in the eye by my cousin with a Colonial Viper in the late 70's.

Are you the reason why we didn't get Rocket firing Fett?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

No way, man! I didn't tell no one but my mom!!!

Originally posted by Obi-Dan Kenobi
    No way, man! I didn't tell no one but my mom!!!
    I have to ask are you telling the truth?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

Yes, it is the God's-honest truth. It was Christmas at my grandma's house, and I was like, four. I clearly remember the room I was in, and a couple of my older cousins had gotten the Viper and Cylon fighter ships. I really don't remember which one I got shot with, or even which cousin it was, ( I have about five older male cousins on that side) but I remember it hurt a lot. Those things were wicked. Guess I was lucky, though. I still have my eye.
    Last edited by Obi-Dan Kenobi; 09-12-2001 at 05:50 PM.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Obi Dan...you ARE aware of the small child out in Clifornia who was permanently wounded by a BattleStar galactica toy in the late 70's that led to the demise of that toyline and an overhaul of safety standards in toys, of which the Non-firing Fett was a direct result, right?

And they did redo Battlestar toys a few years back. I remember toying (pun not intended) with the idea of buying an electronic light and sound Viper on clearance at KB...It's only been a couple years.

I want cool new Shogun Warriors!!! Now those'll take out a kids eye!!! yeah!!!
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

"Remember the good ol' days when a toy could kill a kid?"-Jerry Seinfeld, what episode I don't remember.

EP, I always thought that kid actually choked and died on that BG projectile. At least that's the way it was reported in Steve Sansweet's book From Concept to Screen to Collectible.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Yeah. That might be it. Either way, the way Obi Dan was joking about it, I wasn't sure if he was aware of it. I know GNT knew the story and couldn't believe Obi Dan was joking about it. Hence his reaction to Obi Dan's "I got shot" joke...

Yes, the kid shot it into his mouth, it was under 2 inches long and so it lodged in his windpipe (over 2 inches and apparently, it won't be able to make the big downward turn to lodge in the windpipe as easily or permanently) and the child died. Since that incident, spring-loaded projectiles on children's toys have had government safety regulations requiring them to be well over 2 inches in length and not strong enough to shoot through 3 sheets of aluminum foil.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, I'm aware of the incident. That's why I was lucky! And I'm not joking, I got shot in the eye with one of those things! That's also why all the Transformers had missles that slid out of the launchers instead of launching. You would think they would have totally re-designed those things before releasing them in the US. I mean those projectiles were pretty small, whether they shot or not. The line about not telling anyone was a joke, as in I was denying that I was the reason we didn't get a rocket-firing Fett like GNT implied, which I'm sure was also a joke. I was just returning the joke. No offense implied. But I did get shot with one, honest, and it hurt.

And how come it's okay to have tiny little guns or Lego pieces that are small and long? Or does the safety warning printed on toys cover that so toy companies are off the hook? Still seems like it could be dangerous.