Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waterworld!

A majority of the films Kevin Costner stars in are ones that he helps produce. No one else is willing to hire him. I know this isn't supposed to be a I hate Kevin Costner thread, but I felt I needed to touch on the subject. I mean look at all the really bad movies IMHO that he has appeared in:

No Way Out
    Bull Durham (while many people like this film I think it sucks)
    Revenge
    The Bodyguard
    A Perfect World
    Wyatt Earp (can't compete with Tombstone)
    Waterworld (Mad Max rip-off)
    Tin Cup
    The Postman (another pathetic futuristic rip-off)
    Message in a Bottle
    For Love of the Game
    3000 Miles to Graceland

The only good ones IMHO but not because of him but because the story and the other actors made them good are:

The Untouchables
    Field of Dreams
    Dances With Wolves
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
    JFK

I can't comment on Thirteen days or Dragonfly since I haven't seen them, but they didn't look that great from the previews I saw of them. IMO the bad far outweigh the good. Also look at how many he has produced:

Revenge
    Dances With Wolves
    The Bodyguard
    Wyatt Earp
    Waterworld
    The Postman
    Message in a Bottle
    Thirteen Days

It's not that hard to get cast in a movie that you produce. He has produced half of his latest movies. His acting career would be much more limited if he wasn't producing, which IMO would be all the much better for me.

I'm sorry if some of you like him, but I for one can't stand an actor that is the same in every movie. Heck he couldn't even do an English accent in Robin Hood. I can do one, so why not him. Is he just lazy? Nope, he's not talented enough. I'm done for now.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

I won't presume to debate you, but I did forget about The Untouchables and I always plan to get around to buying that movie.

But yup! Waterworld is darn entertaining!

LOL - "SeaWorld meets MadMax!" - No doubt!

Question

Hey Tycho and Basker,

Just one question...Did you guys also like the following movies?

The Last Action Hero
    Heaven's Gate
    Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot
    Friday the 13th Part MDMCIX: Jason Takes on The Muppets

JK. I thought the movie was OK, too. The best little nugget about the whole thing was that Hopper's ship was the Exxon Valdez.

SithDroid, come on! How could you not like No Way Out. It was a really cool thriller! The ending was really great, especially when Costner's buddy blows his head off.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

mandalorian candidate,

i really liked "last action hero". i think those who don't missed the whole point of the film, which was a semi serious parody of action flicks, without going all the way like "loaded weapon" or "hot shots".

and for arnold to play a role parodying himself took some balls, in my opinion, especially after the macho success of "Terminator 2". since then, except for "true lies", he's been unknowingly doing a parody of himself, but that's another debate...

sith droid,

if you don't like costner, that's fine by me, but don't assume he couldn't get work just because he produces or directs most of his films. i get the idea he looks at himself than more than a "hired gun", just playing a role. what actor wouldn't like to have creative control over their projects? i just read an interview with guy pierce in which he said the "time machine" he saw in theatres is not the same film he made. kostner probably has experienced this and has taken advantage of his success, which i don't blame him for.

by the way "thirteen days" is pretty good.
    i agree though that "for love of the game" and "tin cup" were not so good. "3000 miles to graceland" got really stupid at the end but could of had a chance if someone like tarantino was directing, and i never saw "message in a bottle".

I know you're kidding, but I needed to respond that I haven't seen ANY of those movies that you asked about anyway.

I sometimes wonder if I'd like Last Action Hero, but I never have been that motivated to watch it.

Recently Peal Harbor was the best new movie I'd seen in a long while.

I've missed some of the war movies I was interested in - Black Hawk Down, Behind Enemy Lines, Hart's War - I think there were a couple more. The media is paid off by the government to make war movies when we have a situation like Afghanistan. It was a common equasion in all my studies about the media's role in my political science courses.

Ordinarily, I would frown on public mind control practices like this, but I like war movies, so I don't really care That much. Still, I can't tell what is dumber - the American general public, or the intelligence level our government assigns to us.

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    Friday the 13th Part MDMCIX: Jason Takes on The Muppets
    Those Muppets had it coming

I like Costner. He has a lot of flicks under his belt, some I really like, and others I don't care for. I can't lay the blame completely at his feet for the ones I did not like

I'm excited by news of a Special Edition Robin Hood, I love that movie !

I actually liked Tin Cup, 'course I like movies like that.

Last Action Hero I haven't seen for quite awhile, actually I haven't seen it all the way through, but I think it's ok, the kid wasn't all that great but from what I saw it was a good movie.

So they're making a Robin Hood: SE DVD, well it's ABOUT TIME. :happy:
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I think Costner is just as good as most of the actors in Hollywood these days. His good movies outweigh the bad, IMO. He's made some really great all-time films though, Field of Dreams and Dances with Wolves are 2 excellent films that deserve all the praise they got.

3,000 Miles to Graceland had some promise, and I really like Costner as a bad guy, but it did kind of fall apart at the end.

Some like him, some don't, its all relative. People have their own opinions, and one is no better than the next. Hell, a lot of people don't like Star Wars, but then again, some of us do. Its all relative.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

3000 miles to Graceland...

Kevin Costner in 3000 Miles to Graceland
    Porkchop! porkchop! Greasy! greasy! We'll beat their ****in' team, easy easy! (Blows Air Horn) WOMBAAATS!!!
    That was the goofiest movie I have ever seen. It didn't know what the hell it wanted to be. What was that showdown between Costner and the Highway patrolman? And the CGI scorpion fight during the opening credits? Definitely the director had "issues" that manifested themselves in that movie.

originally by Tycho
    I've missed some of the war movies I was interested in - Black Hawk Down, Behind Enemy Lines, Hart's War - I think there were a couple more. The media is paid off by the government to make war movies when we have a situation like Afghanistan. It was a common equasion in all my studies about the media's role in my political science courses.
    All three of the movies you just mentioned were in production, post production or in the can by the time we went into Afghanistan. So where do you make the connection the govt PAID them to be made? The proof seems to contradict your argument.

Originally posted by Wolfwood319
    His good movies outweigh the bad, IMO. He's made some really great all-time films though, Field of Dreams and Dances with Wolves are 2 excellent films that deserve all the praise they got..
    I completely forgot about Field of Dreams, that movie was great, especially with James Earl Jones.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"