View Poll Results: The SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Round 1 - Fight Seven!!!

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll
  • The T-16 Skyhopper soars above the competition!

60 21.51%
  • The AT-ST grinds anything in its way into dust!

219 78.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

The SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Round 1 - Fight 7!

Tonight's fight features the AT-ST veruse Luke Skywalker's T-16!

The AT-ST as originally released featured a "remote control button" that let you make the scoutwalker's legs pump up and down like it was marching into battle or stomping on your Rebel action figures and those Ewoks! Twin side-cannons click and offer anti-aircraft defense for the walker - though one of them was supposed to be a grenade launcher and this oversight was never corrected when the AT-ST was re-released for the modern line. A twin-barrel nose cannon offers anti-personnel assualt capabilities while the control cockpit holds one action figure (not included). A "tank top" hatch opens and allows the pilot to scout out the situation, or use the hand-blaster cannon mounted on the top deck (though this was never seen in the movies).

Meanwhile, Luke Skywalker's T-16 was never before produced for the Star Wars toy line! Seen in 1977's original version of "A New Hope" only as being parked in the Lars' homestead's garage, though Luke played with a model of one, the T-16's release was hailed as a pleasant surprise in the modern line. The toy was released even before the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi featured a Skyhopper flying over the heads of jublious celebrants on Tatooine, rejoicing because the Emperor had fallen. The ship features independently poseable wings that fold up for landings, and a multi-positionable blaster cannon for wasting womprats! The cannon actually fires a missle on the toy. Adding to its features, the T-16 can actually be split into two vehicles: its basic shell design, and a desert skimmer vehicle that looks like it is a homemade amateur's version of the craft. You can add the main weapon to either vehicle once they are seperated. Each ship can be piloted by one action figure. Also, only one may be seated in the complete craft when it is assembled as it is seen in the movie.

Well which one of these fine Classic crafts should go on to challenge the rest of the pack in SSG's Battle of the Machines?

Only time will tell what is the all-time best Star Wars vehicle Hasbro's ever made. You will choose between the T-16 and the AT-ST tonight!

VOTE NOW! - then let's talk about your choice.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails atst vs t16.jpg  

Good match up Tycho, and another toughie. But I gotta go with the T-16 Skyhopper just due to it showing what Hasbro can do when they decide to actually take the time and sculpt out a vehicle totally from scratch. Plus the added play feature of it splitting into a seperate vehicle is neat. Now they need to give us an EU womp-rat figure to give Luke somthing to bulls-eye.

The AT-ST is cool, but like you said they never did correct the one cheek gun and make it the grenade launcher. I just have to go with the all new ship over the re-issue, though the latest TRU exlusive AT-ST is the best version yet, in terms of paint job and proper coloring. Keep up the good work with the polls Tycho, you're making it tough to choose..and I am sure it's going to get tougher.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Doh, I realized that I actually accidentally voted for the AT-ST, when I meant to vote for the Skyhopper. So, I guess that that will have to be taken into account, if it ends up a tie. I guess the force does have strong influence on the weak minded.
    Last edited by Beast; 03-15-2002 at 03:25 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Did you make a mistake JarJarBinks? You said you were going to vote for the T-16, but instead you voted for the AT-ST.

Put me down for the AT-ST The Skyhopper looks about as exciting in my collection as it did in the movie - tucked away toward the back, barely visible.

I agree w/ JJB concerning the new and old At-ST, especially complimenting the new paint deco on the TRU exclusive, it looks very nice.
    I also agree w/ his intended vote.
    The reason that I'm not voting for the AT-ST is b/c of its legs; it has that one leg that, for lack of a better term, is chicken legged making it almost impossible to get it to stand straight up. Again, also that the cheek gun wasn't corrected.

Now, the T-16. It is a very well designed and aestetically(sp) pleasing to look at.
    My father had made for me 15-20 years ago something that I can only describe as a mahogony dart-board. The outer edge is a nice dark color, and it has wedges of 3 different color woods layed out the same way a dart board is layed out. It's about 14" square, and it works very nicely as a landing platform.
    I have always had my T-16 displayed on this, and there is no better place for it.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Once again it looks like I'm voting for the underdog. This was another tough pick like the MF-Queen's ship matchup. I have to go with the T-16 over the AT-ST. The AT-ST is a sweet looking piece of military hardware, but I think the T-16 is just more versatile. You have the removable missile launcher which fits perfectly in either mode. Then you have on top of that the dual mode ship action as well as folding up wings. My only gripe is that the figure is tough to get in and only a select few can fit. At least all of my Lukes fit in it OK.

On top of all that, the T-16 cost me $5 at the TRU clearance jamboree from a few years back, while the AT-ST cost a lot more.

Come on AT-ST fans! Defend your choice! All these posts minus one are for the T-16, yet the poll shows a 3:1 ratio in favor of the walker. What's up with that?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I think the POTF2 AT-ST is too small and could be a lot better. The T-16 is new, it's accurate-looking, and it's a fun toy to play with.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The AT-ST is clearly the better toy as far as fun factor for me. After all, it is the ultimate side kick to the old AT-AT.

At-St all the baby.
    Great pack-in and the overall look is better. If the T016 would have saw some action maybe my opinion would be different. the only time i've ever seen it used is in Rogue Squadron. Even there it lacks appeal.

Besides you have to like a military vehicle that can be squash like a bug by lowly primatives.
    Move along, move along

Though I'm not particularly fond of either vehicle, I hafta give the nod to the AT-ST (despite it's tragicaly uncool action feature). I just remember playing with it in the backyard ( Michigan, Endor.....same thing) when I was a kid and stompin' the crap outta poor Wicket and Logray. Poor guys.