Talking Troop Transporter

After twenty years wait I finally got the talking troop transport, missing the battery cover, some stickers, two of the 'pod' things, and the two immobilisation harnesses. However, it still talks!!!!!

But there's a switch in the 'trunk' bit that doesn't seem to do anything?

Can anyone shed any light on its function, or where I can get repro parts for the missing bits?

Please?
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!

informer...

Hey there GP...!!

You might wish to direct this question to JEDI DREW. I believe he told me one of his relatives got him one of these oh so many years ago. He might be able to tell you a bit more about it.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

The switch in the back is actually to turn the sound buttons off, so batteries are not wasted I guess. I have my original one from when I was a kid, my mom was a true believer in ordering my star wars from the Sears catalog...I LOVE MY MOM!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

I thought the switch on the back speeding up or slowing down the sounds. As for fixing it up there was a post last month that I read about someone got his troop transport fixed by another member.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Thanks all of you. I actually got of my a~~ and went to Gadders.com where he has scans of the original instruction sheets! The switch is indeed for slowing down / speeding up the voices - although they do seem to have a life of their own anyway. After 30 minutes with a toothbrush and some soapy water it's come up lovely.

So, no suggestions on repro parts then?
    Look - I'm Princess Leia!

DOH!

thanks for clearing that up...mine is still in its box...it has been so long since I played with it, I thought the switch would turn of the batteries...I think now I'll get it out and PLAY!

Angry Loner, glad you got yours working. I remember this sound mostly..."there's one...set for stun" ROFL now I gotta see what it sounds like speeded up?

does anyone find that weird though, that you can speed up the voices? Why would we want them to sound like minnie or mickey?

Oh kenner and it's inventions LOL

thanks again guys
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Maybe...

the sped up ones were so you could make them sound like a girl!!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

The switch is connected to a resistor inside the body of the toy. Flipped one way, the battery is connected directly to the motor, running at one speed. Flipped the other way, the current goes through the resistor, slightly slowing down the speech.

This, I believe, was to adjust the sound for new or old batteries. With a brand new battery, it would sound like a cross between SW and the Chipmunks. So you flip it one way to slow it down.

After a while, the battery starts to get old, and you flip the switch the other way to allow the full current thought. I guess it was so you didn't have to change batteries so often.

Basically, inside, there is a voice box that has a little plastic record with 6 concentric grooves on it. When you push a button, the record spins (a motor moves a belt which spins the record) to an appropriate starting point, allowing the little needle to drop into the correct groove.

Then the record spins, the needle travels in the groove, playing the sound effect, and when it gets to the end of the record, automatically shuts off the motor.

Funny thing - the sound is unamplified. The battery strictly turns the record. The sound comes from a needle riding in the groove, and the holder of the needle is pressed against a speaker-shaped cone that makes allows you to hear the sound - think the RCA dalmation listening to the victrola...

Rob
    Repair, refurbish, restore
    www.sandcrawlerworkshop.com