Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, I'm sure some directors don't have much weight to put up against a studio, but DeVito seems like he would carry some more clout. Plus, if they went to him to direct it, they should have much less of an advantage in toning it down. I'd like to think he would have bumped heads for awhile and then realized that the stuff could at least be put on the disc. It's pretty wimpy if he used the DVD possibility as an immediate reason to go along with their demands.

Originally posted by Caesar
    Yeah, I'm sure some directors don't have much weight to put up against a studio, but DeVito seems like he would carry some more clout. Plus, if they went to him to direct it, they should have much less of an advantage in toning it down. I'd like to think he would have bumped heads for awhile and then realized that the stuff could at least be put on the disc. It's pretty wimpy if he used the DVD possibility as an immediate reason to go along with their demands.

No, I don't think it went down that way. I wasn't there, but I got the impression that he would much rather have left the footage in the theatrical release.

In a related story, I finished going through some of the supplemental DVD stuff on The Fast and the Furious. There is a special "featurette" where we see the director cutting footage out in order to get the PG-13 rating that the studio wanted. That's life in the big city. In this instance, the director didn't feel so strongly about the "R" cut that he felt the need to put out that version, but you can see how other factors can, and sometimes should, take priority over artistic desire. TF and the F needed to be PG-13 to get that segment of the audience into the theater, so toning it down was not only necessary, but advantageous, lest the intended audience be restricted from seeing it in the first place.

I thought Fast & the Furious was more or less a "formula" film. Fast cars, explosions, crashes, a 'hottie' or two (depending on your tastes in femmes), and a good guy/bad guy dynamic (even though the line gets blurred). Judging it as a formula film, I'd say they nailed it pretty darn well. I downloaded it for free off the net in perfect DVD quality, along with 'Gone in 60 Seconds." Talk about an intravenous check-your-brain-at-the-door testoster-onanza double-feature.

As far as Walker's character saving the jerkwad who got stuck to the truck, I never really thought he was doing the guy any big favor. Remember that the guy is life-flighted away not only for medical attention, but also, presumably, to prison! So if you think of it in that context, then Walker's cop character does end up getting the last laugh on the other guy.

I am not at all saying the flick is any landmark work of film making, but I'm not such a film snob that I can't appreciate the fact that it never pretended to be anything more than it was - and it delivered exactly what it promised. Nowadays, that fact alone earns Fast & the Furious my appreciation.
    {{{r2dee2}}}
    {{{VT}}}

I think that I'll end up buying this one. I've always been into movies that kick up the adrenaline, especially with cars. From American Graffiti to Speed, along with awesome chase sequences in movies like Ronin, To Live and Die in LA, and The French Connection. I was looking forward to seeing Gone in 60 Seconds, a movie with a built in reason for great chase scenes, but it never realized it's full potential.

I thought the sound was very cool. Some of the visuals were choppy (during the first race) and the end blew big time but it's a great movie to show off your sound system and watch some cool cars!
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Originally posted by SirSteve
    I thought the sound was very cool. Some of the visuals were choppy (during the first race) and the end blew big time but it's a great movie to show off your sound system and watch some cool cars!

If you have the DVD or rent it in the future, be sure to check out the Visual Effects Montage, or whatever they call it. As well as being supercool on it's own, it highlights many of the fx that it took to pull that race off. Very cool. Also pretty nifty is the extra that shows you the storyboards along with the cut scenes.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Saw this on cable last night. After watching the Cohen/Diesel debacle xXx, this one was downright agreeable. Still not going to buy it though. I can't stand being forcefed plot points like I'm a kindergartner watching Sesame Street.

Jordana Brewster was still tasty though!

ROLLO!
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I saw the movie at first in the cinema (with a very loud but awesome sound quality), saw it once from a bootlegged version and bought it as a "future birthday present" recently on DVD so yeah, I like the movie
    sure, the story isn't all that good but what do you expect from a 15 year old boy who likes fast cars and hip-hop (soundtrack full of it and rapper ja rule having a role in it ) ?
    Until The End Of Time...
    - Tupac Shakur, RIP

I thought it was a great movie!
    Urban Exploration - It's a rush!

i really don't dig the whole "tuner" craze, and i'm kinda annoyed that the only domestic car (and the only car with any real power)in the entire movie gets trashed.

the acting was horrible, the plot was all but unneccessary, but the races were pretty cool, and i dig car talk... even though they had guys talking about turbo AND nitrous on 4 cyl. engines - it's like, why even bother with a cooling system, that engine's going to give you maybe 5,000 miles of NORMAL driving, much less insane high-end shifting, wheel chirping maniacal driving...

meh.
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope