Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Theater Courtesy

Does anyone on this site bring and leave on their cell-phones and pagers to they go to the movies, or know someone who does? If so, what's the reasoning? I'm sure I'm not alone in calling for more courtesy. With the rising price of movie tickets I think it goes without saying that if your looking for a place to talk, smoke, drink, or chat on the phone, then there are much better (and cheaper) places to do it than the theater. Stay home and let us enjoy our movie! PLEASE! This after a recent trip to the movies were someone brought a screaming kid with them. Keep in mind I'm not trying to tell people they shouldn't go to the movies if they have kids and can't find or afford a babysitter, but try taking the kids to KID'S movies where this kind of thing is more expected (the movie I saw was R rated, AND started at 10:30pm! What's wrong with people nowadays?) Thank You.

Thumbs down the public has grown less couth, & i've grown less patient. . .

. . .which is one reason why, as i've said on the Hump, i hardly Ever see flix in theaters anymore, and much prefer home vid
    number of home vid flix i've seen in the last 6 months: ~150-200. number of theater showings i've been to in the last 3 years: ~5 (aside from tpm, all were inViTations from pals which woulda been ingracious to decline).
    gotta love that technology some theaters are usin to supress cell signals with a "dampening field" now we needa come up w/somthin similar for boneheads who play their car stereos too loud

"I'm not trying to tell people they shouldn't go to the movies if they have kids and can't find or afford a babysitter"
    -that's Exactly what i'd tell them, cuz decency requires Choices, such as Choosing between seeing a movie or starring in one's Personal movie (one titled The Screamin Baby Chronicles )-
    vt

My biggest complaint is *cringe* the sound of people eating smacking their popcorn. Oh I wish the theater chains would stop selling that ! People are not courteous enough to refrain from it themselves.

In the vein of Threepio, "I can't abide those popcorn eaters, disgusting creatures."

And active cell phones are lame, it's bad enough when one rings and the guilty party leaves the venue, it's 4 times as bad when the perp actually carries on a brief conversation.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Caes, without the popcorn, the theatre would close. They sure ain't makin' money from the film (that all goes to the studio.)

Babies cryin'? Go tell sombody! Theatre employees relish kicking people out of the theatre after they paid for a ticket. It's almost as much fun as kickin' out the teenagers!

Cell Phones... Complete agreement. I was watching a flick one time and the guy didn't even have the courtesy to leave. I kicked the back of his seat so hard, I'm pretty sure I knocked loose some of his fillings. What I want to do is to grab the phone, remove the battery and tell him he can have it back after the show...
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

E Padawan, I should have clarified - I wish they would stop selling the popcorn and replace it with a more pleasant sounding food.

No disagreements from me on the way movie houses get swindled. I've read your data concerning opening weekend takes vs. second weekend takes and so on. Win/win for the movie companies, because it seems most of them just go for the "flash in the pan" anyway. They are already taking so much of the cut up front, what's the point in putting movies in the pipeline that just might grow legs and see success over time?

vulcantouch,

i think we found something we agree on! i used to go to about 3 or four films a week, but in the last few years, i too have turned to dvd's for my filmgoing entertainment. my two biggest complaints are:

1. theatres who have the volume too low. they do this because the "explosions" are too loud, but end up hurting the overall film, because it lowers the actors voices.

2. rude people. i recall a few years ago, i asked a guy who was doing a running commentary of the film to "please be quiet". this guy actually wanted to fight me! i'm not a violent person, but this was one time i was considering pounding someone. my better judgement prevailed and i eventually had to leave the theatre.
    but i was surely tempted by the dark side. yoda would of been proud.

Re: Theater Courtesy

Originally posted by RooJay
    Does anyone on this site bring and leave on their cell-phones and pagers to they go to the movies, or know someone who does?
    I don't do it or know of anybody that does. If someone does such a thing I hope they have a good reason for it, like they are an E.R. doctor or something.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    derek, buddy. YOU don't have to leave. That guy does. Just go get a theatre employee. I'm telling you guys, we LOOK FORWARD to it. We relish the small amount of power we are afforded by kicking people out. It's like a narcotic.

I really hate the people that sit thru the entire film and then come out and complain about the sound, or the focus, or the other audience members AFTER it's over. Why did you wait to complain? We could have corrected it in about 30 seconds whatever the problem was. I have no problem with turning the sound up. Screw those old ladies who can't take it. Don't come to an Ah-nuld movie next time you old biddy!

There was this one time, a lady came out an HOUR after Woody Allen's Small time Crooks had started and said she thought something might be wrong with the picture. I went into check and everybodies heads were cut off at the top of the frame. She said she thought it was just Woody's quirky style. There were twenty people in the audience and this lady was the first to come out and say something. I started laughing my butt off after I went upstairs and fixed it for them. An HOUR people.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Man, I hate cell phones in theaters. They even have now a little segment before the previews telling people to turn off cell phones. But the last few movies I've seen, there is always a few times you hear one go off. And they never leave the theater, they just sit there and talk. It really gets on my nerves. I think it should be legal to stone these type of people in the streets.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Re: the public has grown less couth, & i've grown less patient. . .

Originally posted by vulcantouch
    gotta love that technology some theaters are usin to supress cell signals with a "dampening field" now we needa come up w/somthin similar for boneheads who play their car stereos too loud
    I hear ya! This kind of technology should be standard practice in ALL theaters...and on all residential streets!